Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinese leather jackets

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
I have the same boots. If you look at the underside (hairy side), you can see they are heavily processed leather.
You get what you paid for out of china. The higher end shoes and boots are really expensive, ie iron boots, flame panda. The best value is probably iron boots for the local market using cheaper inner materials like steel shank and cork etc at 2000 to 3000 RMB range.

Shoes are very hard to score value out of china since the inside and construction can be faked, you have to cut it apart to see.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You get what you paid for out of china. The higher end shoes and boots are really expensive, ie iron boots, flame panda. The best value is probably iron boots for the local market using cheaper inner materials like steel shank and cork etc at 2000 to 3000 RMB range.

Shoes are very hard to score value out of china since the inside and construction can be faked, you have to cut it apart to see.
Just for info. These I sometimes wear during heavy rain. They are quite suited given the smooth bookbinder leather and cord sole. I am just not sure if the leather is durable as work boots. Cheap bookbinder leather splits easily. I bought these some time ago way before Flame Panda was established. I then bought a pair of Monkey boots by Bob Dong x Alternative Country which is around double the price of these but better made and still much cheaper than Flame Panda. With Japanese yen at a very low point, Flame Panda or Iron Boots are not that attractive to me.

Technonut

Practically Family
I have the same boots. If you look at the underside (hairy side), you can see they are heavily processed leather.

I've been very happy with the boots, and have worn them often since their arrival. These came from Al's store at AE (branded "Rock Can Roll"), and are advertised as Italian cowhide. I have limited knowledge in boot leather, but these are comfortable, the leather quality looks great to my eye for the price, and are breaking in nicely.... :)

monkey1.jpg

EDIT: Actually, looking at both side-by-side, and feeling the leather, the Chinese monkey boots aren't far-removed (perceived leather quality) from my USA-made RW 202's (the monkey boots need broken-in more). Again, I am a novice in boot-leather, and am just going by my observation... :) :

EDIT: I will be sure to make an update if the boot leather cracks or the monkey boots fail in an abnormal manner prematurely. So far, so good for now though..;)

RW 2021.jpg

Last edited:

memories

New in Town
Hello, I appologise for my English.
I need some help and peace of advice.
I wan't to buy budget leather jacket and I have some options:
1. Fivestar - cost 300$ (inc. 100$ delivery) - only default jacket, not custom, steer hide.
Link - https://www.fivestarleather.us/coll...4NlomPcBvSn5punEWkiRI1UoUAR-dMLKQuCKAHUGXpz5w
2. Simons - almost the same price, horse hide, but I don't like zipper side pockets and size chart is different from different sellers
Link - https://aliexpress.ru/item/10050028...t.0.0.40844aa6iCHmyO&sku_id=12000022613950552
3. Cidu - horse hide without zipper pockets
Link - https://aliexpress.ru/item/10050060...t.0.0.4a904aa6vi4FKF&sku_id=12000035496125578

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
Hello, I appologise for my English.
I need some help and peace of advice.
I wan't to buy budget leather jacket and I have some options:
1. Fivestar - cost 300$ (inc. 100$ delivery) - only default jacket, not custom, steer hide.
Link - https://www.fivestarleather.us/coll...4NlomPcBvSn5punEWkiRI1UoUAR-dMLKQuCKAHUGXpz5w
2. Simons - almost the same price, horse hide, but I don't like zipper side pockets and size chart is different from different sellers
Link - https://aliexpress.ru/item/10050028...t.0.0.40844aa6iCHmyO&sku_id=12000022613950552
3. Cidu - horse hide without zipper pockets
Link - https://aliexpress.ru/item/10050060...t.0.0.4a904aa6vi4FKF&sku_id=12000035496125578
I would get Simons, and their shinki copy horsehide over the other 2. But they don't have the best QC, so gonna be a gamble imo

memories

New in Town
I would get Simons, and their shinki copy horsehide over the other 2. But they don't have the best QC, so gonna be a gamble imo
Thanks for an honour answer, Simons look good on photos, but I know that I won't be abble to refund it, because of my post, I don't know how they make this size charts, just random numbers...

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
Thanks for an honour answer, Simons look good on photos, but I know that I won't be abble to refund it, because of my post, I don't know how they make this size charts, just random numbers...
Those numbers match Simons official tb store, it's very slim. Probably won't work for anyone above 42, All their jacket is slim, based on Japanese copies.

memories

New in Town
Those numbers match Simons official tb store, it's very slim. Probably won't work for anyone above 42, All their jacket is slim, based on Japanese copies.
I don't know where to find this jacket on Taobao, my height 179cm, weigth 80kg, shoulders 48cm, chest 99cm, seller recomends me XXL

jmomlws

New in Town
Hey I just took the plunge on a green Mulholland clone Chinese Horsehide jacket from aliexpress / Crush on Retro if you have any questions. The only problem is I have no experience with any other horsehide to compare.
I did find it humorous that after all the metric conversions, "Asian sizing" on the site and size recommendation from the store, the tag on the coat ends up reading 38, which is my suit size.
For $200 bucks, my first impression is pretty positive. I like having a few jackets I can rotate through, and am starting to collect odd ones after losing a bit of weight over the years.

MickeyPunch

Familiar Face
Hey I just took the plunge on a green Mulholland clone Chinese Horsehide jacket from aliexpress / Crush on Retro if you have any questions. The only problem is I have no experience with any other horsehide to compare.
I did find it humorous that after all the metric conversions, "Asian sizing" on the site and size recommendation from the store, the tag on the coat ends up reading 38, which is my suit size.
For $200 bucks, my first impression is pretty positive. I like having a few jackets I can rotate through, and am starting to collect odd ones after losing a bit of weight over the years.
Do you mind posting some pics of the jacket? Does it look like in the store photos?

jmomlws

New in Town
OK, this is being tried on over just a thin v-neck cotton shirt and I have not adjusted the side tabs. Under sunlight the jacket looks much like the photos on the site, but I'm a sucker for green so I had to have it.

The more learned folks here can tell you exactly what's wrong with the jacket, if anything. Have at it, fellas:

1707859892167.png

1707859965969.png
1707860036190.png
1707860066631.png
1707860092257.png

1707860115935.png

Attachments

• 1707860007701.png
    1707860007701.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 30

memories

New in Town
OK, this is being tried on over just a thin v-neck cotton shirt and I have not adjusted the side tabs. Under sunlight the jacket looks much like the photos on the site, but I'm a sucker for green so I had to have it.

The more learned folks here can tell you exactly what's wrong with the jacket, if anything. Have at it, fellas:

View attachment 590089

View attachment 590090 View attachment 590092 View attachment 590093 View attachment 590098
View attachment 590102
It fits you. Nice jacket!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 590089

View attachment 590090 View attachment 590092 View attachment 590093 View attachment 590098
View attachment 590102
It's either a size too big or a really bad pattern or a combination of both as it hangs straight down from your shoulders like a coat. Sleeve length is spot on :)

unhatted

One of the Regulars
It's either a size too big or a really bad pattern or a combination of both as it hangs straight down from your shoulders like a coat. Sleeve length is spot on :)
I think it’s a pattern issue. My HH Simons is definitely not a size too big—it is well sized in the shoulders, chest and arms. But there is no taper to the jacket, so it hangs in a similar way (I think). This is coming from someone without much of a taper to their torso! What I don’t know is how much these issues also reflect the original Mulholland pattern as [whispers] I’ve always loved the jacket more in product photos than fit pics! Suspect any issues with the original may be exacerbated in these copies though.

IMG_6075.jpeg

IMG_6095.jpeg

That said, these photos emphasise the issue, as I am just wearing it over a T shirt and photos are from a low angle. Over a jumper it looks fine to me, and it’s nice to have something longer in the body.

Attachments

• IMG_6045.jpeg
    IMG_6045.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6088.jpeg
    IMG_6088.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33

memories

New in Town
I think it’s a pattern issue. My HH Simons is definitely not a size too big—it is well sized in the shoulders, chest and arms. But there is no taper to the jacket, so it hangs in a similar way (I think). This is coming from someone without much of a taper to their torso! What I don’t know is how much these issues also reflect the original Mulholland pattern as [whispers] I’ve always loved the jacket more in product photos than fit pics! Suspect any issues with the original may be exacerbated in these copies though.

View attachment 590274
View attachment 590276

That said, these photos emphasise the issue, as I am just wearing it over a T shirt and photos are from a low angle. Over a jumper it looks fine to me, and it’s nice to have something longer in the body.
Help me for the SIMONS jacket my height 179cm, weigth 80kg, shoulders 48cm, chest 99cm, what do you think? XL or L?

unhatted

One of the Regulars
Help me for the SIMONS jacket my height 179cm, weigth 80kg, shoulders 48cm, chest 99cm, what do you think? XL or L?
I’m a very different size to you and fit is about preference so i wouldn’t be able to advise you very well. I bought S, and the declared measurements were accurate. The pattern issues mean that unless you need a lot of room for your stomach and hips it might not fit all that well (and I have narrow Asian shoulders—it still isn’t great)! I’m not sure I would buy this jacket again tbh. The construction and leather seem pretty good for the price but if the pattern doesn’t suit your body that doesn’t count for all that much. AliExpress has some resellers who accept returns—I’d pay the reseller surcharge for that possibility. But I find Chinese ‘premium’ denim jackets a more reliable buy than leather, honestly.

jmomlws

New in Town
I have a heck of time finding perfect fits off the rack. My shoulders are too wide for a "small" [usually] and if I size up I'm swimming in it. Eventually, I suppose I'll have to get a custom fit and luckily I live within spitting distance of Thurston Bros.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I have a heck of time finding perfect fits off the rack. My shoulders are too wide for a "small" [usually] and if I size up I'm swimming in it. Eventually, I suppose I'll have to get a custom fit and luckily I live within spitting distance of Thurston Bros.
I hear you, I have a similar challenge as my chest is one or two sizes bigger than my waist. Custom doesn't necessarily have to be the answer though. Key is to find a pattern that suits your build and there's no reason why that can't be found in an OTR jacket.

I don't think a Mulholland style jacket is very suitable if you have a strongly V shaped torso.

jmomlws

New in Town
I don't think a Mulholland style jacket is very suitable if you have a strongly V shaped torso.
This is one reason I started out buying "cheap"...so I can find something suitable and then spend $$$.
I liked the look of this jacket because it's fairly clean. I'm looking for something minimal. Whatcha suggest?

Edward

Bartender
This seems the best place to ask...

Anyone know if these guys - clothesoutdoor.com - are a legitimate operation? I see they dodo leathers - at this price, I'd be wary of the quality - but there's much else that stylistically falls into the civilian end of the Bronson type lines. I particularly like the look of this one...

https://www.clothesoutdoor.com/coll...workwear-multi-pocket-corduroy-western-jacket

... and they do more Western sizing than Bronson offer currently. I would expect big Japanese brand type stuff at this price, but if it's legit (their own photos....) and half decent, at this price it might be worth a punt...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner