Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Weather - First Snow-

carter

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:
locked down with ice. So thought I would share some of my friends with the FLers. Cooollllddd...
sweaterguard007.jpg

sweaterguard006.jpg
Had about 9 in my yard this morning.

sweaterguard002.jpg
Foofoogal, Those are wonderful pictures! Is it possible to post larger images?

31F at noon in Dallas. We're on ice as well.

Sunny

One Too Many
LOTS of ice in Fort Worth - I never even got to work today. It was 19* this morning. 400 accidents in Fort Worth yesterday, most after 6 pm.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Foofoogal. I love the picture of the Cardinal among the ice-laden branches. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

28F at 8:45 AM. There's still a lot of ice on bridges and overpasses. Even more accidents this morning. Let's face it, Texans can't drive in this stuff.

Cookie tells me it was 43C (109F) in Melbourne yesterday and 45C (113F) in Adelaide. Now that's warm!

Happy summer to all in OZ. I imagine the beaches are crowded.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
LOL! My cats hog the heat vents too...

I love those rice and corn bags that you can heat in the microwave and take to bed. I used to always warm my covers with those, but last year I bought a heated mattress pad and OOOOooooo how nice!
I crank it up to 10 and then put it back on 1 when I get in. Niiiice.

Oh, those people wearing shorts (and sandals!!) drive me mad. Don't even get my husband started on the subject!

Nikki

LizzieMaine said:
This drives me crazy. Our concession kids show up to work in t-shirts and light sweaters, and can't stop shivering -- and all I can think is GET A COAT, STUPID. But I never actually *say* it. Well, not as much as I'd like to, anyway.

It was -6 below this morning. The only heat in the upstairs of my house comes from one register located behind the bedroom door -- and my cat spent the whole night sleeping on it. She got plenty of heat, but it was actually too cold for me to sleep, even under two down quilts. I'd have gotten up to get a hot water bottle, but I was afraid it would freeze before I could get it into bed.

The picture of the cardinal brought back some memories for me of Long Island.

My mom was always a bird person and made a point of putting out food for the birds. She had the cage like thing on one of the trees and would put in suet for the birds to have in the winter. It helped them get by when it was harsh.

Sunny

One Too Many
carter said:
Thanks, Foofoogal. I love the picture of the Cardinal among the ice-laden branches. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

28F at 8:45 AM. There's still a lot of ice on bridges and overpasses. Even more accidents this morning. Let's face it, Texans can't drive in this stuff.

*snort* Carter, nobody can drive in ice, not THAT much of it. Ice is a different animal from snow. And maybe it's not around all winter, but the roads get icy several times each winter. It's not like a once-every-decade REAL snowstorm. Nobody can get used to that. :D

tuppence

Practically Family
heat wave

While you guys are chilling spare a thought for southern Australia, who are undergoing the worst heat wave in 100 years.
My friends thermometer measured 122 degrees Fahrenheit in his back yard yesterday.
I thought I had it bad because my 10 year old plants had died, but people are coming home to dead pets mice, birds, rabbits, dogs and cats all dropping like flies.
I hope you guys can spare a prayer for cool weather and rain in Oz

carter

I'll Lock Up
tuppence said:
While you guys are chilling spare a thought for southern Australia, who are undergoing the worst heat wave in 100 years.
My friends thermometer measured 122 degrees Fahrenheit in his back yard yesterday.
I thought I had it bad because my 10 year old plants had died, but people are coming home to dead pets mice, birds, rabbits, dogs and cats all dropping like flies.
I hope you guys can spare a prayer for cool weather and rain in Oz
Weather Channel reads 102F and fair in Adelaide and 88F and partly cloudy in Melbourne. I'm glad to see it's somewhat cooler. Now for some rain. Prayers winging your way.

tuppence

Practically Family
carter said:
Weather Channel reads 102F and fair in Adelaide and 88F and partly cloudy in Melbourne. I'm glad to see it's somewhat cooler. Now for some rain. Prayers winging your way.

Nope it got to 113 degrees today in Melbourne. I don't know what Adelaide copped because of the power cuts so we couldn't watch the news.

Thanks for your prayers. They really worked. Monday is going to be cool.:D
Remind me to contact you next time I get a Lottery ticket

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
Anybody remember studded snowtires?

They still work great.

Many folks up here have a set on rims. Makes for easy changeovers from winter to summer.

Driving on ice just takes proper equipment and care, and the willingness to wait for the sanding truck sometimes.

Miss Caroline

Familiar Face
snow always brings Britain to a standstill. 2 inches of snow and everything goes into meltdown (not literally!)
although, I have to say this is the most snow I've seen here since I was a little girl.
Alot of the schools are shut and lots of people can't get to work.
I couldn't yesterday, so I had my first Snow Day in 10 years!
I built a snow man with my friends 18 month old son and it was brilliant.
Yay for snow (although not yay for taking 4 hours to get to work this morning)
lol
Resize_P020209_1159.jpg

n1321699603_30281820_7318.jpg

n1321699603_30281824_8612.jpg

n509496534_2538991_4326.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, London is actually on the same latitude as Moscow, hence the very long summer days and long winter nights. If global warming (or any other cause) causes the Gulf Stream to shift slightly, Britain will be a much chillier place.
New York is now getting about its eighth snowfall this year, but again nothing huge.
I believe the Dakotas have completely disappeared.
Enjoy, Londoners!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Miss Caroline, THank you for those lovely pictures. Hopefully, it will take somewhat under four hours for you to return home. Bundle up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff