Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wizard of Oz Rumors and Terror

I've run Oz several times from a real 35mm Technicolor print, and if you ever get the chance to see one screened, don't miss it. The moment when Kansas gives way to Technicolor -- *real* projected Technicolor, not video/digital approximations of it, always produces an "OOOOOOOH!" from the audience.
I have seen Oz on the big screen once years ago, between restorations--they still used the reel change to go from Sepia to full Technicolor instead of Sepia to Color when Dorothy opens the door as it is now. Great fun and an opportunity to see detail that just isn't apparent on even most "big screen" televisions these days. For example, I've always been a fan of practical makeup effects, and seeing how near-flawless the Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Cowardly Lion makeups were was fascinating to me. And, of course, the wardrobe designs on all of the characters--so much effort spent on "Munchkins" that were barely seen. Brilliant!

^^^ The Lollipop Guild munchkins are my favorite munchkins in the whole world.:D
And that guy on the right end, is my very favorite munchkin in the whole wide world.:D
Harry Earles from Germany. He was one of few actors who managed to still look like a "tough guy" in that makeup and wardrobe.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Harry Earles from Germany. He was one of few actors who managed to still look like a "tough guy" in that makeup and wardrobe.

Judy Garland appeared on I believe either the Tonight Show or Dick Cavett and she spilled
the beans about the Munchkin cast being rowdy off studio lot. Police calls to hotels, knives flashed,
ladies of the evening. I figured the Lollipop Guild boys were right in the middle of it all.:)

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The point of intersection between "Oz" and "Freaks." Surprising there's only the one.

And I like the Witch's Flying Apes too. Scary elite Airborne bastards that kick ass.
And I also like her palace guard. Bore-to-butte plate regulars who drink coffee, piss rifle bore cleaner,
and sing bad-ass cadence. Love that garrison guard mount scene where the guard relief sings out
"Oh Ye Oh, Yo, Yo, Oh Ye Yo, Yo Yo."
Sounds a battery of 109s, charge four, maximum elevation; all guns fired at once.
Awesome baby, just awesome.:D

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Toto, all bark and no bite. Sorry ass mongrel.
Did he bite the flying ape captain who scooped him up and wisked him off? No.
And when the Wicked Witch was petting him, did he even growl...? No, and no Teeth.
What a suckup.;)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
A water cooler discussion about Oz which I remarked that Buddy Ebsen played the palace guard
who gifted Dorothy the witch's broom. This was a surprise revelation. Originally cast as the Tin Man,
Ebsen suffered an allergic reaction to the aluminum paint sprayed across his face, nearly fatal.
Fortunately, he survived. Great actor, a memorable guardsman.:)

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
^^^ The Lollipop Guild munchkins are my favorite munchkins in the whole world.:D
And that guy on the right end, is my very favorite munchkin in the whole wide world.:D
I recall playing a member of the Lollipop Guild in the elementary school play. Got a pair of stockings at Hot Topic, and I made a lollipop out of a painted blank CD and a popsicle stick.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I recall playing a member of the Lollipop Guild in the elementary school play. Got a pair of stockings at Hot Topic, and I made a lollipop out of a painted blank CD and a popsicle stick.

Chicago hot dog ketchup law, subsection B applies here:
Now, whenever portraying a Lollipop Guild munchkin, a real big ass lollipop must be used.:cool:
Any other munchkin guilds stuff can be legally ignored but with the Lollipop Guild, res ipsa loquitor baby.;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ