Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine Montgomery - any experiences?

Fifty150

One Too Many
I guess we all have a shoe for each purpose. You wouldn't go riding your motorcycle in your good dress shoes. But you also don't wear the same shoes two days in a row. It's better to let them rest and air out. When I don't wear my Wolverines, I like my Allen Edmonds Cascade. They come with a Vibram lug sole, and will go with my jeans or slacks and a sports coat.

There is a difference where one lives tho. Where I live there are almost no shoes available that can get resoled anymore.

Around here, even the cheap shoes can be found with Goodyear welt stitches. Some of these shoes cost less than the price of repairs. It's an even bigger surprise when cheap shoes are well made.

I have a local Red Wing dealer near me and I like the fact that I can take the boots back to the store for reconditioning and repairs if and when needed. The idea of local service after the sale is a big plus for me. In my neck of the woods, the Wolverines are only available at upscale "brick and mortar" stores in Chicago (3½ hours away) or St. Louis (1½ hours away).

Do you have a good cobbler in the area who can resole your shoes? The Red Wings store around here is just that: a store. They don't repair anything. If I take it to them, the teenager behind the counter just sends it out. I could send it myself. Where I live, we have a Dr. Martens, Alden, Allen Edmonds, and authorized vendors for most major brands. But they are all just stores. Luckily, we have close to a dozen cobblers in the area. Some better than others, and a few just suck. But they are out there.

Fifty150

One Too Many
ae-6194ls.jpg

Mats

New in Town
Hey, I realize this thread is ages old, but I would really love to know how the Montgomery boots held up in Norwegian weather. I've been looking into getting a pair for myself, and as durability is a big factor for me, it'd be great to hear how they are almost two years later. Do you still wear them?

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I wear them during the "snow" season and they have held up amazingly!

They almost look like new. They are still my best shoes for comfort/looks.

The sole is also very resistant and it looks hardly worn. They havent gotten loose and are still the most comfortable of my "winter" shoes. They arent the warmest tho, so for the minus 25 days you need a bigger boot that can take a thick sock.

I have treated them with pecards maybe 3 times.

Mats

New in Town
Sounds great! I've been drooling over them ever since I found them online. The only pictures I've found of people actually wearing them though, they seem quite shiny. Not necessarily a bad thing, but them look a bit formal. What is your experience here? I take it you wear them for day-to-day casual use?

Also, may I ask where you bought them? I've been able to find them in a couple of Norwegian webstores, but they cost from $350 and up. Thanks for the help!

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
I wear them during the "snow" season and they have held up amazingly!

You definitely made a good choice for the snow season. The neoprene sole on the Red Wing Iron Ranger is treacherous in icy or snow-packed conditions so I wouldn't recommend it for those conditions. There's this version of the Iron Ranger with a vibram lug sole but it's an entirely different look - Brooks Brothers Iron Ranger.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Yeah I know, they are a much better choice for this season.

Sounds great! I've been drooling over them ever since I found them online. The only pictures I've found of people actually wearing them though, they seem quite shiny. Not necessarily a bad thing, but them look a bit formal. What is your experience here? I take it you wear them for day-to-day casual use?

Also, may I ask where you bought them? I've been able to find them in a couple of Norwegian webstores, but they cost from $350 and up. Thanks for the help!

They are shinier then the IR, but I dont think they look too formal at all. I wear them with blue selvedge, black jeans and brown wranglers and I think they work as everyday-shoes aswell as proper looking shoes. If im gonna go to a meeting I just shine them some, the day before, and it works for me. Its a great combination of comfortable/everyday/"formal" shoes.

I got mine at "Grændsen Sko" CC-vest and they were 2100NOK.

Mats

New in Town
Thanks for the pictures! Your shoes look great, they certainly don't seem like they have had any problems handling the Norwegian weather the last two years. I'm definitely getting a pair now :)

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
I can't help but notice the similarities between the Redwing and Wolverine websites. I wouldn't be surprised if the companies are under the same ownership but I'm just speculating. Selling American manufactured goods to Americans is a tough sell since price seems to be the bottom line with most. Most of the Redwing line is made in China or elsewhere except the Heritage line. My local Redwing dealer only had a few pair of the Heritage series in stock and not the models I was interested in. I had a difficult time even finding what I wanted online except at inflated prices. In fact most of the stock online was in Europe and even China! I Finally found a pair for less than retail on ebay but my experience was a frustrating exercise in trying to buy American. I had a similar experience trying to buy American made jeans.

Back on topic, the Wolverines look nice and I'm sure you're giving them quite a workout in Nordic conditions. Keep us posted on how they hold up.

bicktrav

New in Town
Just want to add my two cents here: I've got three pairs of Wolverines--each from the 1000 mile line. They are the best boots I've owned. Had them for years, worn them pretty much every day whether I'm going to my office or going on a hike, and they still look pretty much brand new. I can't speak to the Montgomerys because I don't own them, and it is true that Wolverine does manufacture some of its less expensive models outside the US. But the 1000 Mile collection is undoubtedly worth the price. I should also add that I've never gotten more compliments on my footwear.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
So I have had theese boots for 3 winters now and this last winter they started loosing the sole some. It first happened on one shoe in the top so I epoxyed it together. Then after some months it happened on 3 places (2 small on one shoe and 1 small on the other). What I mean is that the sole comes loose all clean like the glue has gone.

I epoxyed the spots and they have held up.

I think this is pretty good especially as it was only a dry winter the first one and the other 2 have been wet wet wet and more wet.

Its annoying when it does happen, but I still pay a third of my wifes shoemoney since hers breaks after every season (she buys tommy hilfiger and stuff like that blehrgh)

So I should go to the cobbler and get hem reglued all over and maybe get some small nails in there in the top but i will wait and see if it happens again.

Still my favourite cold/wet shoe since they are comfy as hell and look proper no matter the occasion.

Last edited:

jack miranda

A-List Customer
I have a pair of black 1000-mile boots, the most basic pattern. Comfortable, very good-looking boot. I recommend them. I added an insert for extra cushion and have enjoyed them a lot over the past three years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points