Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women....Shaving??

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Am I the only one here who's been to an electrologist? Or am willing to admit it?

I haven't, because my mum did and didn't have very good results.

Ouch:eeek: puzzicato....that looks like it hurts.
Yes Rue the tweezers are my weapon for that one stray hair i always seem to get. The more i read the more i am curious to try it.

It does, but not as much as tweezing each hair individually. And it doesn't break me out the way waxing does. And it catches very short hairs that I can't grasp with the tweezers. So the pain seems worthwhile!

When I went for laser, the tech shaved me first. Is this still the same?

I believe so, yes.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
When I went for laser, the tech shaved me first. Is this still the same?

Yep, since the laser targets melanin and cauterizes the blood vessels supplying the hair root, you have to shave to avoid surface burns. I use an electric razor before I go, and it's easy as pie.

BoPeep

Practically Family
My suggestion, don't shave anything unless you can see dark hairs. Blonde peach fuzz is normal and not necessarily unattractive. Don't fix what isn't broken!

My mother did electrolysis in the early '60s but it didn't seem to have lasting results. I do laser treatments and have good results, but do fear that this will be a lifelong endeavor.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My own experience with electro was about ten years ago -- the hairs she zapped have stayed zapped, but the occasional new ones have come along since. My electrologist moved away, alas -- but she gave me her machine as a going-away present, and I've actually learned to use it on myself. It does require a lot of discipline, though...

HepKitty

One Too Many
I've always wanted one of those machines. does anyone know if the small $30 ones are even effective?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I had one of those little ones -- it *did* work, but it was more painful than going to a professional electrologist. The ones that are just "electric tweezers" don't work at all -- but the ones that actually have an electrified needle you put in the follicle do work if you've got the spleen to use it.

You also need good eyes and a steady hand to use these devices successfully, and these days I don't have either. So I'm back to just plucking the strays with a plain old pair of tweezers, and occasionally resorting to self-waxing.

candy_noir

New in Town
I do shave my face once a week because I find makeup looks better but not the chin or lip area. That gets waxed or tweezed when needed. The very first time I shaved my face, I did shave my chin and the few little dark (non-peach fuzz) hairs that were there came back the next day and felt very stubbly. Ick, learnt my lesson quick on that one.
Best advice I can give would be to shave in a downward motion and if you can find one, a small bikini razor works best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112