Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wonka

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Based on the book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Bare bones review:
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1972) Better than the book and lots of liberties.

Charly and the Chocolate Factory (2005): Closer to the book with a Michael Jackson influence and Tim Burton awkwardness and added story.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My question is,would I be able to watch this movie and NOT think of the 70's version? I feel that I would be comparing it every step of the way!
flat-top

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I am 'boycotting' this version....simply to preserve childhood memories of the first one.

I watched it every week of most of my young life, while keeping myself amused/babysat at the local library. I was shaped by the library and all the reading I did there, which I suppose makes me the huge geek I am today ;)

I just really don't want to ruin the amazement and so forth that I had for the film with a different version, good or not.

--d

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I loved it. And I'd see it again. I like it better than the Gene Wilder version, and I grew up with that one. I loved how it went into Willy Wonka's past, and I thought it was very visually pleasing. Great costume concepts. I think the thing is that M. Wilder and M. Depp play very different Willy Wonkas, and I enjoy them both, but I like how Johnny Depp maliciously choose to be ignorant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy