Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Willy Wonka...

davestlouis

Practically Family
The 1971 version of course, is a favorite of mine. Lots of Shakespearean references and direct quotes. For example, "where is fancy bred, in the heart or in the head" is from The Merchant of Venice

Tell me where is fancy bred,
Or in the heart or in the head?
How begot, how nourished?
Reply, reply.
It is engender’d in the eyes,
With gazing fed; and fancy dies
In the cradle, where it lies.
Let us all ring fancy’s knell;
I’ll begin it – Ding, dong, bell.

Neat movie on several levels, and it seems to have aged better than most movies from that era.

I'm still not sure I like the Johnny Depp version...Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
This is one of my childhood favorites and honestly think we adults enjoy it more than the kids,eh? ;) I remember my parents laughing hard at some parts I did`nt think was funny.Now I`m laughing too. :) The film was kind of dark and different...Willy Wonka was callous and cold.A fine film.

I have cherished memories of my grandmother(god rest her soul) taking us to all to see Willy Wonka "at the movies" several times.One of those films that are bonded in your mind with loving family memories.I bought the soundtrack last year and it makes me happy whenever I play it. Seriously,the soundtrack has some beautiful instrumentals AND even Gene Wilder singing "Pure Imagination" as well as the candy store owner on "Candy Man".

Tim Burton`s version was excellent and a funny,dark movie.Both WW and the Burton film were based on Ronald Dahl`s novel "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" so I think we`re lucky to have 2 excellent film adaptations of this children`s classic story.

Recommend the book to any pre-teen or teenager and I`ll guarentee they`ll love it!

HMH
(Oompa Loompa with pituitary disorder) lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda