Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool commando sweaters

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Do you know any nice wool commando sweater? I'd like to find something like this one, in Olive Drab or Brown;

Alpha-alpha-font-b-commando-b-font-font-b-sweater-b-font-male-casual.jpg

This Alpha is acryllic :eusa_doh: Onlinemilitaria sells a classic british commando sweater but no idea if any good;

British_Early_WWII_Pattern_Commando_Sweaters.jpg

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
you can Try the Canadian Issue ones, not sure if they are still issued or replaced by Something Fleece or nylon, same design used by cops and air cadets..If you try your luck and look hard, you will find the oldschool WW2 American Style ones for cheap. Those V-neck button style ones, I like them better..I found an American style one that had a New Tag appearing to be about 20 years old and while not as thick as the commando style they are a little lighter and more comfy in my oppinion. Suprised they were still making them after WW2 up until more recently, Considering the design goes back to, I duno...The turn of the century I presume.

I have only seem the American Style ones ONCE in a surplus store, and no one had any info. Pick up a commando sweater too, sometimes thrift stores have em!!! look for em CHEAP!

They look very attractive on ladies too, with a pair of Combat pants... *Rrrowww!!!*

The cuffs are a little different for the V-neck american Jeep driver style one, the original WW2 Cuffs and waist were better knit, and the newer style, like the commando sweater has to be rolled back a little, and the WW2 ones had a double layered Liner that the new looking ones dont have, either way the newer ones come in larger sizes..

thor

Call Me a Cab
The US Marine Corps issue that sweater, thick 100% wool, olive drab color, so you may be able to find one for cheap at a military surplus store.

Peacoat

Bartender
I have a thick British Commando sweater, 100% wool that is excellent. As Thor says, the US Marine Corps issues an excellent one also. You can find these at online surplus stores that may well ship to Spain.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I have a thick British Commando sweater, 100% wool that is excellent. As Thor says, the US Marine Corps issues an excellent one also. You can find these at online surplus stores that may well ship to Spain.

I Think these 100% pure wool sweaters are much better that those made from man made fibres.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Dumpster Diver said:
You can Try the Canadian Issue ones, not sure if they are still issued or replaced by Something Fleece or nylon, same design used by cops and air cadets.
I have one of those, in RCAF blue, and every surplus store in Canada will have a huge stack of them in green or blue. They're made to fit really snug around the torso, which I find it annoying and consequently I haven't worn the thing in about 10 years.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Hey, thanks everybody for the suggestions;

While looking for it, I noticed ebay.co.uk is swamped with surplus british commando sweaters, like this one;

$(KGrHqN,!nMFBjO6!Wn4BQbDv)KQkw~~60_58.JPG

Not sure if it is real issue. It looks similar to the Canadian one. They are selling them for £12, so it's a no brainer.

BTW, there are some pretty cool wool shops in the UK like northseaclothing.co.uk and the famous blacksheep.ltd.uk ;) Any other one?

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Hey, thanks everybody for the suggestions;

While looking for it, I noticed ebay.co.uk is swamped with surplus british commando sweaters, like this one;

$(KGrHqN,!nMFBjO6!Wn4BQbDv)KQkw~~60_58.JPG

Not sure if it is real issue. It looks similar to the Canadian one. They are selling them for £12, so it's a no brainer.

BTW, there are some pretty cool wool shops in the UK like northseaclothing.co.uk and the famous blacksheep.ltd.uk ;) Any other one?

Yes, they are good sites, along with Outdoor Knitwear and Sou'West Chunkies. BTW I am not sure if the sweater you found on Ebay is made from wool or acrylic, but IMO wool is far better.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
It has the right 'fit' for a military sweater, i.e. super tight in the torso and largish across the shoulders.

Basically at $12, even if it's total crap, you're going to get your money's worth!

Aerojoe

Practically Family
It has the right 'fit' for a military sweater, i.e. super tight in the torso and largish across the shoulders.

Basically at $12, even if it's total crap, you're going to get your money's worth!

Yeah, for 12 pounds I can't go too much south ;) These kind of sweaters are supposed to be beaters, not fine cloths.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart