Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worst Golden-era inventions

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
and this one... it makes sense in the beginning...but then it doesn't ...mmm:confused:

motowhl1.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^
^
Go to Burning Man

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6uhjDbVsuLM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6uhjDbVsuLM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
HadleyH said:
and this one... it makes sense in the beginning...but then it doesn't ...mmm:confused:

motowhl1.jpg

Looks like his grandson made some improvements. :p

[YOUTUBE]oD2tYtE2x3o[/YOUTUBE]

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Waaaaa !!!! Well, those 2 videos above show us then, the idea the man had in 1931 was not so unrealistic (or wrong he-he) after all! [huh] :p

cecil

A-List Customer
Carlisle Blues said:
Lysergic acid diethylamide was first synthesized on November 16, 1938 by Swiss chemist Dr. Albert Hofmann at the Sandoz Laboratories in Basel, Switzerland.

Hofmann_Bike_Ride_1943.jpg

Worst or best, depending on who you ask. lol

Story

I'll Lock Up
avedwards said:
I completely agree Tomasso. It was done to make criminals better people. It stopped them re-offending. It also stopped them doing anything other than sitting around like vegetables.

Just ask that daughter of Joe Kennedy (not to be political or anything).

HadleyH said:

motowhl1.jpg

Found the kid's version - good test to see if he reaches puberty, intact.
lrg_motor_wheel_cheap.jpg

from MODERN MECHANICS AND INVENTIONS, NOV 1928

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
filfoster said:
A management talent pool?
Lobotomy can result in the person being unable to do anything but the most basic survival functions (heart rate, breathing etc.). Therefore the patient cannot do much more than a vegetable is able to.

Chas

One Too Many
avedwards said:
Lobotomy can result in the person being unable to do anything but the most basic survival functions (heart rate, breathing etc.). Therefore the patient cannot do much more than a vegetable is able to.

Yeah, pretty much. They stood/sat around and drooled, according to my mum who was a Psychiatric Nurse during the late '40s. The other two treatments available were insulin shock (deliberate insulin overdose) and hydrotherapy (warm baths). Needless to say, many people spent their lives locked up. That was until the late 1950's when the Phenothiazines first appeared.

My vote goes to "Old Sparky" - intended, as many execution implements are, to be 'humane'. It cooked as many as it did electrocute. Nasty.

Technically it predates the 'golden age' but I included it as it was in frequent use during the golden age.

Singchair.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Chas said:
Yeah, pretty much. They stood/sat around and drooled, according to my mum who was a Psychiatric Nurse during the late '40s. The other two treatments available were insulin shock (deliberate insulin overdose) and hydrotherapy (warm baths). Needless to say, many people spent their lives locked up. That was until the late 1950's when the Phenothiazines first appeared.

I remember seeing a movie with Russell Crowe, where they gave his character an insulin shock treatment. Being a diabetic, I was highly disturbed.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Lobotomies scare me. But can someone answer a few questions I have?

1. What are they?
2. What purpose did they (supposedly) serve?
3. What effects did they have on the...ehm...patient?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy