Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would this warrant an exchange?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Not in the same place but the jacket can fold behind your back while sitting which creates long straight lines that look “unnatural” to some people

Yes, I agree. No doubt, the jacket will mirror the owners use in no time.

hafor123

Familiar Face
Have you looked at the leather jackets that people post photos of on this forum? The epic amounts of creases, grain, faded edges, etc.? If you think this crease warrants a return, then clothes made from leather simply isn't something you should be looking getting into.
Look closely at the pictures unnatural. If you would spend 1k and be okay with that be my guest, but I won't.

mumpy

A-List Customer
This is a week into wearing a brand new RMC Buco J100. The back was completely clean when I got it. One week later I have an "unnatural" X. Guys, honestly, I don't think leather jackets are for you.

IMG_3238.jpg

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
This is a week into wearing a brand new RMC Buco J100. The back was completely clean when I got it. One week later I have an "unnatural" X. Guys, honestly, I don't think leather jackets are for you.

View attachment 584499

You sure you would accept that as a new jacket…?

The OP didn’t complain about a jacket he has worn in, whatever the timeframe.

Last edited:

mumpy

A-List Customer
You sure you would accepted that as a new jacket…?

The OP didn’t complain about a jacket he has worn in, whatever the timeframe.
What is the difference? New jacket that becomes like this in a week?

mumpy

A-List Customer
The difference between a new jacket and an obviously used one?
Personally I don't care. If I buy new it is because I can't find something that I really like used. I understand how leather evolves/changes/ages and my expectations are aligned with that. I beat up every piece of clothing that I have.

I am just saying that if you are into leather jackets and these sort of things bother you, you will not enjoy wearing them. Either learn and adjust your expectations or get a North Face and call it a day.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You were right to return. This is not grain, but an imprint of something pushing into the back. While many may not mind (myself included) some will, and at this price why compromise.
I would not be happy with this mark on a brand new jacket. I’ve owned two jackets that had noticeable horizontal creases across the back from being folded into too small a box for shipping. These creases always remained sharper and more noticeable than any other marks that appeared on the jacket with wear.
It’s funny on the one hand because creases on the back are totally invisible to the wearer, and therefore should not bother one so much. in my experience, it definitely did and it made those jackets less special to me

El Marro

Enjoy your fashion piece
I get that this was meant as a jab, but in reality, isn’t that what these jackets are for most of us here? I don’t own a motorcycle, nor was I a pilot in WWII so I can’t claim that a leather jacket is an essential piece of protective gear for me. I just like them.

mumpy

A-List Customer
I get that this was meant as a jab, but in reality, isn’t that what these jackets are for most of us here? I don’t own a motorcycle, nor was I a pilot in WWII so I can’t claim that a leather jacket is an essential piece of protective gear for me. I just like them.
I agree with you. However there is a difference between wearing 99% of the jackets we discuss here casually/for fashion purposes and actually buying a typical lambskin fashion jacket let's say. There is a difference in mentality between the two worlds.

For example, a typical lambskin fashion jacket with any sort of imperfection would look weird and be unacceptable. But a Schott jacket? Even if you never ride, it doesn't fall in the same category.

El Marro

I agree with you. However there is as difference between wearing 99% of the jackets we discuss here casually/for fashion purposes and actually buying a typical lambskin fashion jacket let's say. There is a difference in mentality between the two worlds.

For example, a typical lambskin fashion jacket with any sort of imperfection would look weird and be unacceptable. But a Schott jacket? Even if you never ride, it doesn't fall in the same category.
Agreed!
And I have seen people here go ballistic over a few wobbly stitches and other small details that I would never even notice due to my poor eyesight. in this case, I think the OP was right to object to something that upset him. Fortunately Schott is a company with a great exchange and return policy and therefore the problem was easily solved.

Aloysius

I'm not taking a position on whether this is the normal grain pattern or a packing crease per se; my only point is that, whatever the cause, such creases will proliferate and if someone is bothered by them there are other options.

I made reference to this being a 'leather' thing but really it's more specific than that, because some leathers are very unlikely to crease in this way. Stiff horsehides and steerhides will; something like goatskin will not (because it's both substantial enough to resist the type of creasing lamb and sheep get and flexible enough to resist the type of creasing you'll get on a 613/618.)

I think there's a good chance that switching this jacket out for the equivalent 118 (so make sure to reduce the size by one, to have the same fit) would maintain the look without the same crease possibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland