Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would this warrant an exchange?

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Who the hell would want an unnatural odd looking V shaped mark on their new jacket ? NOT ME !!

Bender

One of the Regulars
Meh. I'll be in the minority here, but at the end of the day it's your $1000, Schott has a great return policy, if you want one without the crease, get one without the crease.

It would bug me too. I'm all for wabi-sabi... just as long as the imperfections are applied by me to something initially perfect, lol

THAT SAID... and you'll never hear me tell anyone how to spend their money (maybe gently suggest)... but for my wallet, $1000 is a lot for a Schott. They aren't bad jackets, they just have a lot of sales and season-end clearance events... making the full MSRP stuff really just a scenario of buying it a bit later and getting it for like half-off. In my humble opinion, $1000 might get you a better bang for your buck here in the classifieds section. I regularly see hyper expensive Japanese stuff here that retailed for $2000, tried on once or whatever, for around a grand.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Meh. I'll be in the minority here, but at the end of the day it's your $1000, Schott has a great return policy, if you want one without the crease, get one without the crease.
My point is just that someone is going to have to get used to creases when dealing with leathers like this and they could be avoided by changing hide.
THAT SAID... and you'll never hear me tell anyone how to spend their money (maybe gently suggest)... but for my wallet, $1000 is a lot for a Schott. They aren't bad jackets, they just have a lot of sales and season-end clearance events... making the full MSRP stuff really just a scenario of buying it a bit later and getting it for like half-off.
I had assumed this myself but I disagree.

First off they actually don't have many sales; there's one, for Black Friday, which is a substantial 15% off… however the leather brands seem to do their price bumps at the end of every summer, so essentially you break even buying earlier in the year vs in that sale.

The bargains are either jackets pending discontinuation (which are in the sale section of the website) or the factory clearance.

Jackets like the 618, 613, 141 etc are not going to end up in the sale section. And I don't actually think they're any lesser than an Aero or Vanson for the same money. (Frankly I don't think they're any lesser than the Japanese stuff either.)

I'd add a caveat–in the year or so in between the drop in the pound's value and Aero's price rise–I think it made no sense to get a Schott vs an Aero at retail, since the Aeros worked out to noticeably less money.

Sure, used jackets in general are a tremendously better value; but I don't think Schott in particular is some kind of ridiculous poor value new. I know this website is mostly over its hardcore anti-Schott attitude of years past (I remember Schott being compared in quality to Wested–which I like for their own costume thing! but come on– or more recently someone assuming it was a fast fashion brand), but I feel like there's a lingering bit of it baked into the forum's culture.

Aloysius

Should this be a cause of concern becoming a bigger tear, I believe it's a seat belt abrasive tear

Both photos are really blurry so I'm not sure what I'm looking at. From the (sleeve?) end and stitch holes there seams to be a black topcoat wearing away. This isn't itself an issue but the 618 uses an all-black leather.

hafor123

Familiar Face
Both photos are really blurry so I'm not sure what I'm looking at. From the (sleeve?) end and stitch holes there seams to be a black topcoat wearing away. This isn't itself an issue but the 618 uses an all-black leather.
Completely diff jacket, shoud this be a concern turning into a bigger tear? I believe it is from wearing a seatbelt.

Attachments

• PXL_20240128_025229952.jpg
    PXL_20240128_025229952.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 45

Bender

One of the Regulars
My point is just that someone is going to have to get used to creases when dealing with leathers like this and they could be avoided by changing hide.
Personally I am with both the OP and you on this... my mind knows that creases are part and parcel with the product, but my heart wants what it wants. If there's a good return policy and another jacket without the offending characteristic, what's the harm in an exchange?
I had assumed this myself but I disagree.

First off they actually don't have many sales; there's one, for Black Friday, which is a substantial 15% off… however the leather brands seem to do their price bumps at the end of every summer, so essentially you break even buying earlier in the year vs in that sale.

The bargains are either jackets pending discontinuation (which are in the sale section of the website) or the factory clearance.

Jackets like the 618, 613, 141 etc are not going to end up in the sale section. And I don't actually think they're any lesser than an Aero or Vanson for the same money. (Frankly I don't think they're any lesser than the Japanese stuff either.)

I'd add a caveat–in the year or so in between the drop in the pound's value and Aero's price rise–I think it made no sense to get a Schott vs an Aero at retail, since the Aeros worked out to noticeably less money.

Sure, used jackets in general are a tremendously better value; but I don't think Schott in particular is some kind of ridiculous poor value new. I know this website is mostly over its hardcore anti-Schott attitude of years past (I remember Schott being compared in quality to Wested–which I like for their own costume thing! but come on– or more recently someone assuming it was a fast fashion brand), but I feel like there's a lingering bit of it baked into the forum's culture.
I'm unsure what part of the country you're in, but I've always found Schott sales to be a fairly regular thing. Are you visiting the website exclusively, or going into a brick and mortar? I actually have a 141 I bought for roughly $600 after tax at the Brooklyn DUMBO location, can't remember the specific sale, it was two summers ago.

Additionally, Schott is sold at a ton of other vendors, including department stores (Bloomingdale's springs to mind) that do massive quarterly sales and offer similarly easy returns... in any event, I've never considered paying retail for a Schott.

And to be clear, not that I don't think the jackets are worth retail, simply because if I can save a buck I will, lol.

I also think the Schott hate on this forum is unwarranted. They are every bit as iconic a jacket maker as say, Lewis Leathers (if not more so) and are responsible for some of the most famous patterns ever sewn. People pooping on Schott don't know their history... period.

That all said, in a perfect world, would I like to see them either transform their Perfecto line or add an additional line that focuses on truly special hides and artisan craftsmanship? Of course. A better-built 141 out of Shinki limited race horse would be amazing. But then we'd be into Schotts that start at around $1500... which I (and probably a fair amount of people who visit this site) would be down with... but it's not exactly Schott's current wheelhouse.

Last edited:

Aloysius

I'm unsure what part of the country you're in, but I've always found Schott sales to be a fairly regular thing. Are you visiting the website exclusively, or going into a brick and mortar? I actually have a 141 I bought for roughly $600 after tax at the Brooklyn DUMBO location, can't remember the specific sale, it was two summers ago.

Additionally, Schott is sold at a ton of other vendors, including department stores (Bloomingdale's springs to mind) that do massive quarterly sales and offer similarly easy returns... in any event, I've never considered paying retail for a Schott.

And to be clear, not that I don't think the jackets are worth retail, simply because if I can save a buck I will, lol.

Oh yes, I get what you mean now. I thought you meant Schott site specifically. I get what you mean–I'm the same way.

Yes, always worth watching the websites of Nordstrom and others who stock Schott to see which sales you can pick something up in. Likewise SSENSE had the 519 for like $500 after coupons a couple of years ago–I hooked my friend up with the link (and posted it here).

That said, the 618 usually doesn't end up in those sales, unless you count the sort of side-sale at the Schott factory sale where you can get any stock jacket for about 20% off.

Don't you see the line tear

It's scrape of the pigment.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
well just use your own judgement, if you visit a shop a whole rack of leather jacket you pull out one jacket and see this creases on the back will you shrug it off and walk to the cashier or will you try to check other jackets to see if there are better option. I like all kind of grain but a brand new jacket with a folding mark is not really my thing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner