Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you believe that they are again manufacturing spatterdashes?

Captain O

One of the Regulars
Look it up on Spatterdashes - 2017. Yep, they're making them again for both men and women.They fell out of favor in the late 1910's. Since the advent of the automobile, there wasn't much need for protecting socks and shoes from the exceeding filth of horse droppings and waste water along with garbage in the Western streets.

It is strange, but it seems that "everything old is new again"... even spatterdashes, or "spats" as they are often called.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Think I will give them a miss because I don't think the baggy trouser high waisted George Raft looks suits me and I might get arrested for carrying a Tommy gun or even a violin case(with a violin , even if a Thomson would not fit in it).
I'm thinking "Oi! Bugsy Malone" as I stroll along in brown pinstripe and high crown fedora :D
I'll just settle for the V16 Cadillac.

Captain O

One of the Regulars
Think I will give them a miss because I don't think the baggy trouser high waisted George Raft looks suits me and I might get arrested for carrying a Tommy gun or even a violin case(with a violin , even if a Thomson would not fit in it).
I'm thinking "Oi! Bugsy Malone" as I stroll along in brown pinstripe and high crown fedora :D
I'll just settle for the V16 Cadillac.

Don't laugh, you can still get a "violin case" for the new Thompson sub gun (even if they are semi-auto).

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Well, I had to look up what it was ;)
To each his own - if this is good news to you, then that's awesome. Lotsa room for us all to express our mental illnesses together :)

Yes. When I hear spats all I can think of is Scrooge McDuck.

Scrooge.jpe

Peacoat

Bartender
Don't laugh, you can still get a "violin case" for the new Thompson sub gun (even if they are semi-auto).
A friend of mine has the old Thompson--the fully automatic type. They are really fun to shoot and very controllable because of the weight of the weapon. I would prefer a selector switch that fires 3 round bursts, like the M-16, but back then that wasn't an option. As for the Spats, I will pass. Would rather spend my money on a violin case.

Captain O

One of the Regulars
Me, it's "Puttin' On The Ritz".

If you look up Irving Berlin's musical number, you'll notice that it was written in 1927 and made its recorded debut in 1929. It was about the residents of Harlem and how they would "spend their last two bits" to have a great time at "The Ritz". By then, spatterdashes were beginning to fall out of fashion. (The fashion trend of "spats" began to fade from the "upper class" mode of dress in 1925). The "haut coture" of the black population was still wearing spatterdashes as a symbol of wealth and breeding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21