Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

would you live back in time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
Would you Live Back in Time

Well, actually, I did, as did my wife. I was born in 1932 and my wife in 1931. I started to school in 1937 (my wife in 1936) and at that time my memories are relatively clear. For example, I can remember exactly what my mother wore to take me to school that first day. The reason - I was embarrassed, because my mother wore a tan colored hat that looked like a man's fedora and I was afraid she had gotten confused and wore one of my dad's hats. Oh well, the innocence of childhood. Little did I know that it was the latest stye of that time. (37, 38. 39). Also, another event happened that day that stuck in my mind. We "new school starters" were immediately told that we would be in the 2nd grade, not the 1st. Texas had added the 12th grade in 1937-1938 (many other states added the 12th grade in the 30's, although some not until the mid 40's). So, to make everything "even", all those in school at the time were moved up one grade so they would only attend school for 11 years, not 12. I don't have a clue what was behind that thinking!

Of course, better and more clear memories are of the WWII years from 1941 to 1945. I was nine about to be ten years old at the start of the war and about 13 when the war ended. That period was much harder than the 30's. Our family was not greatly affected financially by the depression, but the war years included hardships from rationing, lack of supply and fear. My father was overseas in the military for most of the entire period. My mother had to manage my father"s law practice and manage our farm, along with raising five children born between the years of 1926 and 1935. My oldest sister graduated from high school in 1942 with no father to attend the ceremonies, my next sister in 1944, again no father to attend and the same for my older brother born in 1929, graduated in 1945. My high school graduation in 1948 was the first my dad was able to attend. I believe he regretted that. While high school graduation is not such a big deal today, in that period of time, it was an important milestone of growing up.

I believe that unless one was actually there, it would be difficult to imagine how life was actually lived in the 30's and 40's. Events that I remember well or remember as amusing would probably get a reaction today of "huh?". For example, a funny event was tires and inner tubes during the war. There weren't any! We had LOTS of flats as the tires and tubes got older. My mother had a 1941 Buick Roadmaster Sedan which was heavy and hard on tires. By late 1943 and in 1944, it was even getting difficult to buy tube patching kits. We had glue and tube scratchers, so my brother tore up his old Converse All Stars (made of canvas and rubber) and used them as tube patches. It actually didn't work all that well. When my dad finally got home in late 1945, he was out checking the cars and they both had flats. I guess he didn't realize that was a frequent occurence we were used to. When he got the tires off and looked at the tubes (they looked like a crazy patchwork quilt with all the patches) he just shook his head and remarked that he had no idea things were that bad. I suspect the armed services were insulated against how things actually were "back home". We got new tires and tubes for both cars that very week, and a few months later, new cars (a 1946 Ford and a 1946 Buick). The old ones just barely made it to the car dealer, they were so worn out.

It's those little things that make that era so different from today and probably hard to understand what it was actually like. Strangely though, we always seemed to really have a good time, no matter what was up. Hope I didn't bore everyone to tears with all this recollection. Unfortunately, I have lots more. lol

Bill Taylor

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Bill, that was a great post. I had older friends who could recall the hardships of the thirties, and also the joys. I was born in 1942 and so was a "war baby," did not know my father until late 1945, when he returned from the war.

My parents were born during one war, endured a depression just as they were starting their working life, and then had to be in a second war; but they were also the generation who were able to buy and sell houses, work at a company or factory and actually retire with it, probably with a pension, and also put money aside for their senior years. No credit cards -- if you wanted a piece of furniture, you paid cash, or you got it on layaway.

How many people here know what layaway was? I bet you do, Bill.

They have been called "the greatest generation," also the "put upon generation."

Still, I wouldn't go back.

Thanks for the post.

karol

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Bill Taylor said:
For example, I can remember exactly what my mother wore to take me to school that first day. The reason - I was embarrassed, because my mother wore a tan colored hat that looked like a man's fedora and I was afraid she had gotten confused and wore one of my dad's hats.

lol The things kids remember!

Miss Caroline said:
I like stories.
More please. :)

Ditto that! Very enjoyable reading. :)

I'll add my comment for more stories to the rest here.
You were actually born two years after my father. I am sure he had just about the same experiences. Times were tough and you relied mostly on family to fill the gaps life gave you around here. I imagine it was pretty much the same way where you were.

Miles Borocky

Familiar Face
I do like the present pretty much, all frustrating political developments notwithstanding-- :)

But I'd love to go back and visit NYC in the 1920s, for drinks at the Algonquin and to catch Duke Ellington live. Then Paris in the 1950s to hang with ex-pat bebop players. And maybe a trip back stateside to catch a young Willie Mays at the Polo Grounds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner