Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you return this shaving brush stand?

pgoat

One Too Many
Hi all - hope this is the correct place for this.

I bought a nice nickel steel shaving brush stand at the Art of Shaving last October. This replaced the cheap $5 plastic stand I bought from them, which snapped in two the first time I used it. Since I had plunked down $200 for one of their Silvertip Badger brushes, I reckoned it was worth stepping up to the $80 steel stand.

Well, I was cleaning the apartment this weekend and when I picked up the stand to move it the top of the base fell off - it was basically a big slab of metal atop a thinner base, and there is glue gob visible on the lower part. I am very careful about rinsing soap out of the brush and shaking excess water out - so I am thinking the thing shouldn't fall apart after 6 or 7 months. It's not like it was immersed in water or anything.

I have my receipt and plan to return it - not sure what their policy is, Assuming it was you, would you return it, or just glue it back together? If return, would you ask for another stand? a different stand? If they gave me store credit that's be cool I would just get some shaving oil or cream.

The problem is, I don't know if it is bad to let the brush dry standing up (moisture running down into the handle). It is difficult to find a brush stand that doesn't also have the razor holder, so I don't know where else to go.

D

DeaconKC

pgoat, DerMann had a good idea. Since you obviously like it, keep it and repair it. Clean it well, and use a 2 part epoxy to reglue it.

Feraud

Bartender
Return it!
The Art of Shaving touts itself as a high end men's grooming store.
There is no reason why you should pay 80 bucks and have to play with glue.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Yes, for an item that expensive, the company should be able to stand behind it. I would return it and ask for them to exchange it for a replacement. If they refuse to do this, then repair the one you have and consider filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Shaving Stands

Personally I would try to return it. I found a very nice brushed metal shaving stand that had the "bowl" underneath and also came with a Badger, metal handle shaving brush and a matching metal handle for a mach 3 for about $20 at Target after Father's day last year. I only use the top part of the stand, because I found it too unstable with the bowl underneath. However my stand is not glued together, the metal rod actually goes through the base and is fasted on the otherside. I do not see how some of these places can justify the prices charge for some of these items.

---Scott

DerMann

Practically Family
I suggested you glue just to save you the hassel. Even if they were to replace it, you still run the risk of having it break on you again, and thus having to repeat the process.

Just dab some JB Weld on there and, chances are, it'll be sturdier than new.

I don't really like returning things as it's too much of a hassel. If I can fix it, I'll gladly fiddle with it for a few hours than step into a car and drive for thirty minutes.

pgoat

One Too Many
Thanks guys.

I do want to keep using a stand, to protect the brush investments (I have a few others, none as expensive). I could even use the stand as is, or easily glue back together.

I want to return it as much on principle as for the money, but I kinda don't want the same stand (I do think it will happen again). So even if I get store credit and get other stuff, or just credit to my MC, I will need another stand.

any more thoughts on where to buy a stand (preferably with out razor/holder, just the brush stand)?

RJCNTX

Familiar Face
If your in New York, there should be a number of stores you could visit to find a good stand. I would return the stand you have to credit. It doesn't sound like it is worth the $80 to me.

Heck, I picked up a $10 plastic one from British Isles in Houston and have had it well over a year now. An $80 metal stand should last far longer than that.

Last time I was in Crabtree and Evelyn, they had some nice stands.

pgoat

One Too Many
Just fyi - Art of Shaving would have refunded my money had it been within thirty days, alas. However they did take it back no questions asked and gave me a choice of another one or store credit. I wound up getting shave cream, oil and balm in the sandal wood, which I've been using and really like. The wife smiled when she smelled them, which is a plus!;)

dman

New in Town
I have to be honest. I wasn't that impressed with the art of shaving. Of course, I was and am on a whole kick about how great the old way of shaving is because of the reduced consumption (I'm not fond of razor companies and the disposable lifestyle they promote). They seemed to be able to take something that is very economical and sound, better even than the popular and current method of shaving, and charge more for it. It's elitism I'd say, and every man deserves a good shave, but not for that. I'm glad you returned it.

pgoat

One Too Many
I hear you. I found a nice double Dovo stand here, and they have the same stand Art of shaving sells (the one I returned) for only $30 - less than half the price!

At that price I'd probably have just glued it back together. But paying $70 for something that fell apart after 6 months irked me plenty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld