Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wow.

Jovan

Suspended
Janeway was an uneven character throughout the seasons (Mulgrew attributes this to all the different writers' interpretations of her), but I was glad there was finally a female captain in Trek. It was about time. Now, all they need to do is something about there being no homosexuals in the 23rd and 24th centuries. :p

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Okay,...back to the subject at hand. I think Capt. Janeway was a believable character. The show was maybe not the greatest, but she was respectable.

Janeway drove me CRAZY. Couldn't stand her.

I'm a huge geek but I have to say DS9 was my overall-favorite Trek, though each series had at least one good episode.

-Viola

Rooster

Practically Family
Jovan said:
Janeway was an uneven character throughout the seasons (Mulgrew attributes this to all the different writers' interpretations of her), but I was glad there was finally a female captain in Trek. It was about time. Now, all they need to do is something about there being no homosexuals in the 23rd and 24th centuries. :p
Now, all they need to do is something about there being no homosexuals in the 23rd and 24th centuries.
They probably figured out how to ID them genetically before birth and aborted all of them.....;)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
MrBern said:
And lets hear it for all the racial diversity. Not just amongst the leads, but constantly in `60s Trek, you see asians, latinos & afra-americans as intelligent & beautiful people.
Frankly, I would love to see ClassicStyle magazine depict that kind of diversity in its photos.

I like the way you think! :)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
You could almost feel the tug of war between the writers and producers of Star Trek and the executives; "O.K.,this week you get one smart broad but we gotta have her inna mini skirt...wait a minute,did you say she's commander? Awwright,it's a bikini, Kirk's gotta kiss her three times and take his shirt off too..."

Advanced stuff indeed...;)

I do like the show by the way. Just don't call me a Trekkie...:)

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
“I used to watch Doctor Who and Star Trek, but they went PC - making women commanders, that kind of thing. I stopped watching,” Sir Patrick said.

Anyone who insults my Doctor Who is dangerously close to being placed on my S*** List.... this guy is definitely on there now! lol lol lol

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
MrBern said:
Also MontyPython.
Who was the female member of the group? Carol Cleveland?
monty_python_010_carol.jpg

Theyve since admitted that they pretty much never knew what to write for her. But they certainly had plenty of time to make jokes in drag.
"its a piston engine!"

Yes, Carol Cleveland. Am I wrong, or did she also appear on The Benny Hill Show occasionally?

She was also married to one of the Pythons, for a while. John Cleese, I think, but I'm not sure. (He later married Connie Booth, co-writer and the maid in Fawlty Towers.)

Lee

Jovan

Suspended
She certainly looks like someone Benny Hill would have. But usually it was Python is to violence as Hill is to sexuality, so I can see why they didn't find much for her to do. :-/ It's unfortunate she was most always a submissive character on Python, when she did have a role. Then again, the human women on Trek often were, but I think it was at the insistence of the producers. Could have been with Monty Python as well, who knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic