Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Writing paper for the fountain pen

From a discussion with Adam, I thought I'd put this out there for the gang.

What paper to use with a fountain pen is a good question, I have had good luck with AMPADS brands "Gold Fibre" so far they're pretty good and are usually at either Staples or Office Depot.

Levengers has some good paper.

If you can try to find some Rhodia pads, G. Lalo stationary, or Exacompta note books and journals from the importer Clairefountaine. Pendemonium has a lot of their stuff. The Exacompta notebooks are nice. Here's is their web site:

http://www.exaclairinc.com/

Also Crane Paper is really good for their "thank You" notes and their typing type paper with cotton in it is really fine to use.

If you have a fine point, bumpy paper may catch the nib, but it has to be pretty bumpy. Sharp cornered Italic nibs can catch on smooth paper if you have the angle wrong or going too fast.

One of my favorties for letter writing is from Italy called Amalfi Amatruda. This is classic paper and heavenly to use. I order from here:
http://kschweizer.com/

Also if you have Borders Books by you, they may have these cloth covered Journals and Scetchbooks in red, black, or blue etc, on the front is a big J for journal or S for scetch book, these take a fountain pen really well.

A classic note card for men is a flat card with an outline and your full name (engraved) printed on the top. Find Under flat cards or note cards here:

http://www.finestationery.com/

For your fountain pen steer clear of recycled paper. As it contains sizing and elements from the previous paper source. Paper with coatings can interfere with writing and can make the nib skip badly until flushed clean.

Cool caligraphy stuff and some fine paper is here:

http://www.johnnealbooks.com/

The single most important thing to do with your pen is to write with it. Pens are a connective device that can be jewelry or plain and austere in design. If you give 10 men the same watch they will all tell the same time, but if you give 10 men pens, they will all write different things.

Good luck and enjoy the exploration.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
If you give 10 men the same watch they will all tell the same time, but if you give 10 men pens, they will all write different things.
I love that. Great line. I've always loved a blank page. A blank page is quite like a stage--all possibilities, and limited only by your unlimited imagination. I have a cover from the New Yorker from my birthday in 2001 that is a large furry creature standing with an oversized dip pen in his right hand and a sword in his left hand. Give two people swords, and there's really not more than a couple of results which could attain. Give those same two people pens...

Your discussion of nice paper makes me think of lots of things: I hate more than most annoyances in life the phenomenon whereby when writing with a ball pen on cheap paper, you hit a spot where the pen simply won't write, like a glossy spot or something. I hate that.

The letters I write anymore I print out on a laser printer on my offset-printed letterhead. It's been so long since I wrote by hand trying to make it look good that I think it will take some practice to get back into it (I had to write with fountain pens in calligraphy for a couple of years at private school in Florida when I was a boy...good penmanship was a matter of survival). I can't wait to be writing letters by hand again.

My mother is pretty strict when it comes to etiquette. Until the day I left home (and even after that), she used to hound me about sending proper thank-you notes to people, for even the smallest thing. I had a postcard printed up for myself, but it's very casual. I like the idea of getting a proper flat card engraved with my name for thank-you notes. That's the sort of undertaking that really makes you stand out from the crowd. Send a thank-you (gold embossed with your name or initials in a color matched envelope) note to your friends after they take you for lunch and see if their wives don't treat you with more respect next time you see them. :cool:

I have a need for several papers, as I'm sure we all do: 1) paper for writing, like plays, stories, poems, etc., 2) paper for sending letters (I've been using decent paper, but it's been for a laser printer and it is recycled). I'll need to get some nice paper just for hand-written letters, 3) cards for thank-you notes or postcard needs, 4) 3x5 cards for organizing ideas and sharing info with others while socializng. This last category, at some point I realize I'll probably have to get some of Levenger's personalized cards at some point. I'm constantly jotting down my website address or other info for people (I use biz cards for that too of course) along with a date or info about some future meeting or event, an idea just discussed, etc. It would be nice to have yet another little "stand out from the crowd" bit of sensual detail to fill that spot.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
I find my Skyline takes quite nicely to the paper in my Moleskine.

It's been so long since I wrote by hand trying to make it look good that I think it will take some practice to get back into it (I had to write with fountain pens in calligraphy for a couple of years at private school in Florida when I was a boy...good penmanship was a matter of survival). I can't wait to be writing letters by hand again.

I know what you mean. I've always taken to scribbling notes and writings down in my moleskine or on various scraps of paper, but having picked up the fountain pen again recently has made me want to write by hand even more. There IS truth in the addage that a good pen will bring you much enjoyment. In fact, it's made me work on improving my penmanship. There is truly something magical about using a good fountain pen.

I think it is a nice touch to send thank yous and personal handwritten notes. I've realized how important paper stock has been to me, though until now, it was all subconscious. Looks like I'll have to invest in some good letterhead now!:)

bink

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Maybe this is too much, but..

How about putting it all together? Would anyone be willing to put fine pen to paper, write a few sentences with favorite sheet, pen, nib and ink, then scan and post? Perhaps it would be useful to see the product of an assortment of nibs shapes and inks?
Once my Parker comes back, I'll need ink and the selection out there is a bit intimidating. Fortunately, ink is relatively inexpensive so one can have fun experimenting.
I have enjoyed these three pen threads so very, very much. The inexpensive French Waterman I picked up a couple of weeks ago is seldom out of my hand. I'm practiting with it, writing nonsense, trying to master it. It's an altogether more sensual and delicious experience than scritching out some doggerel with a ballpoint. Now when watching TV I'm also practicing with my pen. I should be sewing those planned Perfectly Perfect Pants.

Quote in the Business.

John in Covina said:
If you give 10 men the same watch they will all tell the same time, but if you give 10 men pens, they will all write different things.

It is a quote i have kind of stolen, but only because I can't remember the person who said it. I think it was a rep of one of european pen makers

Mycroft

One Too Many
Moleskins are great, I have one as an ideas book with my sketchs, poetry, etc. What works well with them is Fisher Space Pens and G-8 disposble roller balls. I am the same way Adam, my parents were into the manners etc., its was good of them. I love the Crane paper, and how is really sticks to the pen or nip so you can write neatly and clearly.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
I have enjoyed these three pen threads so very, very much. The inexpensive French Waterman I picked up a couple of weeks ago is seldom out of my hand. I'm practiting with it, writing nonsense, trying to master it. It's an altogether more sensual and delicious experience than scritching out some doggerel with a ballpoint.

I totally agree, Scotrace. In fact, these pen threads have kept me checking out the Lounge again! Just this morning I picked up my Skyline and started to write with it, but it didn't write anything. Blast! I was out of ink! No matter, I just picked up the cheap Sheaffer student fountain pen I carry as backup and started writing with that one instead! (I have no clue what model Shaeffer it is. It's an old -meaning not new- slim cartridge pen with a see-through blue body.)

If I can get around to scanning it in, I'll try to post a pic of one of my Molskine pages to show you how well my pens write in it. I'm still interested in good letterhead, though!

bink

Filler-up!

One thing that happens to me is I also don't realize when I get to the end of the ink supply of an individual pen. Many pens will drop that last few drops of ink in a big blot on your paper. It maybe related to the greater airspace getting heated by the warmth of the writiers hand. Susan Wirth told my friend Debbie, fill up regularly, when you get to the halfway point and you're going to use the same ink brand and color, filler-up, because you will have less problems.

Aslo, if you live in an area where it is DRY like the desert South West, or if it just is seasonally dry like a lot of places in the US. The humidity drops in the winter and you're getting more static shocks, that also effects a fountain pen.

When flow problems come up, a quick rinse under (always) COLD water in a sink will usually revive the pen.

Those clear Sheaffer student pens are refered to as JEWELS. They are considered to be great starter pens. Fred Krinke at the Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia loves to get these from our local club. They turn up in the garage sale bag of pens often. Anyway, he cleans and flushes them out. gives them the once over to be sure they're writing well, and gives them to a local teacher that passes them on to his students as prizes when he teaches handwriting to elementary school kids.

Nib and writing style

scotrace said:
How about putting it all together? Would anyone be willing to put fine pen to paper, write a few sentences with favorite sheet, pen, nib and ink, then scan and post? Perhaps it would be useful to see the product of an assortment of nibs shapes and inks?
I don't have a scanner but here is a chart to show the style of writing from some of the different nibs made by Pelikan. Extra Fine Fine Medium and Broad, Plus the OBLIQUES which are similar to Italics and stubs.

http://www.penseller.com/pens/pelnibs.jpg

Here are a couple of ink color charts from Penedmonium in Adobe format:

http://www.pendemonium.com/images/inks/ink_color_charts.pdf

Hope this helps.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Fortunately, I've never had the ink blob problem when I'm at the end of my ink supply. I just simply run out of ink. I just need to remember to fill my pen. :)

A Jewel, eh? Well, I think it is one in its own right. I got it as a freebie with a Parker 21 and a 50s Esterbrook in "icicle" blue. When I took them to Pen Haven, they said I could just soak the Sheaffer Jewel section overnight and that it should work well the next day. They told me not to worry with this particular pen because it was almost meant to to take a beating. I soaked it and the thing writes like a champ! Sure, it might not be anything fancy, but it's a workhorse.

Hey, I'd love to get a free pen in class! Am I to old to sign up for this one? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner