Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WR's summer togs and tips.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Man, we all know linen suits and like material suits are best for summer. You’ll all be shocked to hear this but, the last time I wore a suit was last Sunday night at the Derby… and it wasn’t even a summer suit… summer get up but not summer fabric. I wore my ivory wool flannel 1934 NRA tagged trousers with a blue striped coat made with worsted wool. I was very comfortable but, it was at night and we were in doors so, sweating wasn’t going to happen. As for the day time, I’ve been letting my self go. I work in an AC climate but, I just don’t feel impressed to dress in a suit much any more then I have to. I have a great pair of 1930’s linen button fly trousers that are a kind of orange tan color, really comfortable! I mean, these things are great! I also like wearing a plain white button shirt with long sleeves rolled up… such a summer look of the 30’s topped with an ivory linen 8 piece cap. I recall a few weeks ago a friend and I were sitting on my front porch just enjoying the sun set waiting for my date to come over. When she came she laughed at how we both looked like two old men sitting in front of an old general store… she’s vintage minded too but, my buddy was wearing a light striped shirt with a 30’s tie and dark surge pants with suspenders… he also had 1920’s frameless glasses on much like the type Glenn Miller wore. We looked very authentic! Also having the 30’s tunes playing from out of the house helped! Ah the good times!

Any way, this thread is getting started to say that for every day wear, a suit isn’t a must, a nice light colored or plane dress shirt with a nice pair of linen or light weight pants are very suitable. Now how to make it look depression era? Well, take a look at some old photos, you’ll see that this look is very typical of the period in the summer months. Suspenders look good if they’re light in color and not too wide. The button in kind are ideal. Pants should ride kind of high and a nice light colored striped or mild patterned tie that is on the short side is ideal… shoes shouldn’t be too fancy, just plain brown cap-toe style is fine, two tones are great if ya got’em but, for just running around town a plain pair of medium or dark brown shoes will do.

Head wear, a nice floppy 4, 6, or 8 piece cap would do just fine… you could even… dare I say it, go with out a hat!!! AAAAAA! I did say it! Some times I don’t feel like wearing a hat if I know I’ll not be out side too much. If you’re going to be out side a lot, wear a hat! Straw is always a good way to go! But, shouldn’t brake you… a nice modest priced straw fedora can be found here and there… that would work nice.

=WR=

8a36931r.jpg

8a36921r.jpg

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was meaning to start a thread like this!
My look this Summer is a lot simpler than it used to be. I've got a ton of vintage, or vintage looking striped tees that I'm pairing with some high waisted (naturally!) slacks. It's a great late 40's-early 50's look, and it's comfortable, which I'm not used to being in the hot NY summers!
For going out at night, I'll throw on a nice 50's button down sport shirt with some slacks.
For work, I'll sport some tropical 40's ties, and don't forget white shoes!!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
today i was wearing:

white belt back 30s unlined jacket
green and white striped 40s shirt
30s crocheted tie (brown and yellow)
grey chambray 40s work trousers (lightweight)
leather and canvas spectators

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i know i've been a bit lax in the self portrait department.
i blame it on not owning a digital camera. but maybe the truth is i'm a bit shy with the idea of posting photos of myself...i like the air of mystery too.

(or i can't stand the prospect of harsh criticism) ;)

Zach R.

Practically Family
Wow, and I thought I was the only person who still said "togs" lol

I'm pretty much in the same mindset: khakis, dress shirt (tie optional), maybe some penny loafers or some simple captoes. Though, the super 180s suit I just got IS pretty lightweight and I'm pretty sure I could wear IT in the heat without sweating TOO much.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I have a handful of vintage flap pocket shirts (the ones that are usually gabardine) made out of lightweight sheer materials...great for summer wear!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Here's a terrible picture of me just home from work (Wild Turkey in hand) wearing my summer togs. The jacket is silk - the windowpane check doesn't show in the photo. Please ignore the right sleeve. It's clumped up because I had just thrown an ice cube at my wife. :D

P6160375.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
jake_fink said:
Here's a terrible picture of me just home from work (Wild Turkey in hand) wearing my summer togs. The jacket is silk - the windowpane check doesn't show in the photo. Please ignore the right sleeve. It's clumped up because I had just thrown an ice cube at my wife. :D

P6160375.jpg

Hahahaha an ice cube! Hahahaha! Well, we'll forgive the riding up sleeve thenlol Say, I dig that boater! I wish I could see the windowpane in the coat... I love that look my self!

=WR=

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Jake fink- That is a great look! (including the Wild Turkey! Hey, a man needs to know how to accessorize too!)

As for myself: Today looks to be a warm one here. Later this afternoon my wife and I are goin to the movies to see "The Bride of Frankenstein" (1935) and I won't go to the movies without being dressed right (classic movie in a classic movie theater after all) Tan linen trousers, slightly darker military cloth belt, light rose-ish colored shirt with thin blue pinstripes. For my head an off white linen 8 panel cap (B! Wear) and for my feets; tan suede/caramel leather saddle shoes. My windows are; vintage 1940s silver wire rims with cable temples. (Sorry to jump on the "no photos"bandwagon. Lamont Cranston syndrome you know...:rolleyes: )
Here's a shot of the classic theater though:
balboatheater9oo.jpg
:D

funneman

Practically Family
Hey Jake,

That picture of you, with Johnny looking over your shoulder from your avatar is priceless.

"...In walked the sheriff from Jericho Hill
He said Willy Lee your name is not Jack Brown
You're the dirty heck that shot your woman down."

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
That picture of you, with Johnny looking over your shoulder from your avatar is priceless.

By "priceless" I hope you don't mean hilarious. It was hilarity that got me in the mood to pelt my wife with the nearest ice cube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner