Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wtb akubra federation iv

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
I am in the market for a federation iv preferably in the tawny fawn color. My size is 59. I figured I would have a pretty good chance of trying to find a lightly used one.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Alright upon even more research I am looking for a 60cm (to account for half size smaller) Federation in Tawny Fawn. Let me know if you have one you would like to sell.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Alright upon even more research I am looking for a 60cm (to account for half size smaller) Federation in Tawny Fawn. Let me know if you have one you would like to sell.

Just a note about sizing...I think the advice about going for a size up, due to shrinkage, with the Federation Imperial grade felt (standard) is likely correct.

However, if you do go for the Deluxe (Heritage felt), I would suggest ordering your true size.

For reference, and summarizing numerous other posts I've made, the Heritage felt doesn't seem to shrink much, maybe not at all in ordinary use. I'm 59.5 exactly, and so I initially ordered one in 60. However, it took many bouts of hot steam applied to the base of the crown, and many wettings followed by aggressive hair dryer work, to get it to shrink maybe 0.25 cm! Later I ordered three other Feds, all Deluxe, in size 59 and they fit fine. Still do after quite a few years (the 60 was Fed III, the others ordered shortly after the Fed IV came out) and in some cases, many rain soakings.

All in all, nobody can tell you what you need. But for me, the Heritage felt is worth the extra cost in most cases - based on my Feds and on Akubra westerns I have. BTW, my four non-Heritage felt Akubras are all 60 cm, and they came around to fitting well. Two were used and older, and I actually had to stretch them! But my attempts to deliberately shrink a sz 60 Banjo Paterson in Heritage felt was the same story as for the 60 Fed III- it just didn't want to.

I have a tawny fawn Fed IV which happens to be in semi-daily use right now. Great color for warmer weather. I've cut the brim down to an even 2-1/2" all around, and when I find myself near a competent hatter some day (probably a trip to SLC), I'm going to have edge binding added. One of my favorite outdoor hats.

All the best...

Last edited:

BigFitz

Practically Family
I measure 58.5cm so I ordered a 59. The fit was loose enough that the brim was sitting on my ears. I used half of the foam strip provided with the hat to snug it up. I haven't worn it enough to notice any shrinking yet.

TiltRotorFlyer

One of the Regulars
I have an Akubra Heritage Fawn Federation in size 60 to sell if you are interested. Hasn't been worn much at all and still has original box in which it was shipped. I will sell it for 110.00 plus shipping charges from NM.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I was having deja vue I thought...the reason I was interested is I have a Fed IV Deluxe in Tawny Fawn..size 59..and I love it. BTW, I am a true 59 or 7 3/8, this hat fit perfectly and still does...I have worn it to Cairo, Amman, Addis Ababa, Nairobi, Geneva, Paris, London, TelAviv, Jedda, and pretty much all over Europe. It wears very good, and has not shrunk at all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112