Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB: formal black bow tie

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I have a modern adjustable self tying plain silk bow tie which I no longer need. I would be willing to sell it for slightly less than I paid for it plus the price of the shipping, but I think it would probably be cheaper for you to buy one from a menswear shop than to have mine shipped across the Atlantic.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
How soon do you need one? I recently saw one at an antique mall some distance from me...brand new in the box with a matching cummerbund from Brooks Brothers. I believe that the the dealer wanted $10 for it. PM me and I'll see if I can get you a line on it. They may be able to sell it to you over the phone with a credit card and mail it out for S&H.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Thunder, I'm astounded that you haven't acquired one yet. I assumed you had a drawer full.....and please don't mix satin with grosgrain......

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Got a vintage one. Thanks, all!

Thunder, I'm astounded that you haven't acquired one yet. I assumed you had a drawer full.....and please don't mix satin with grosgrain......

I've dozens of crazy bowties but no plain black ones, never really had the occasion for one until now. I'm hoping to use it more often.

bowties.jpg

I have two dinner suits, one satin and one grosgrain, so I have choices to work with.

Last edited:

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Got a vintage one. Thanks, all!

I've dozens of crazy bowties but no plain black ones, never really had the occasion for one until now. I'm hoping to use it more often.

bowties.jpg

I have two dinner suits, one satin and one grosgrain, so I have choices to work with.

If some of those Bows are too crazy for you... ;)?

adouglasmhor

Familiar Face
About the satin/crossgrain thing i have a satin thistle shaped which gets worn with my satin shawl collar one button, a crossgrain diamond shaped which I wear with my crossgrain peaked DB suit and a taffeta silk one I wear with either. No one comments either way other than surprise it is a self tie.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Bump.

Where, Marc?

RL in SF has a lovely tuxedo butterfly self-tie in silk grosgrain for $85.00. Was going to get it for my sweetie Tom for Xmas, but now may be sooner than that as he just got two vintage tuxedos. The first event he wants to wear one of the tuxedos is coming up fast on Oct. 20th.

Want to know what's impossible to find? A 1920s-'40s non-adjustable, self-tie bowtie in black or midnight blue grosgrain silk.

You can have a new one custom made, though.

Annixter

Practically Family
^^chanteuseCarey, I'm not sure if you mean tuxedo as in the strict sense with white tie or tuxedo in the modern understanding as black tie dinner jacket, but here goes. If you'are referring to black tie and are not set on grosgrain (depends on the jacket's satin face), last year I purchased one of these 1950's single-end pique bowties from the same seller HERE Apparently she still has some left. It is a high quality piece and gives a very vintage tinge to a dinner jacket because the single-end bowtie, which was once the popular one, lays flatter and doesn't look as bulky, in my opinion, as double-ended bowties. I just thought I'd throw that out there as an option to save you a few dollars and get you a vintage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner