WTB: Gibson & Barnes and Wested Indy jackets size 46

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by TCS, Oct 15, 2019.

1. TCS

TCS New in Town

I am interested in purchasing a Gibson & Barnes and/or Wested Indy jacket in a size 46 long. Thanks.

2. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

If none show up here, consider buying a new Wested. They are an excellent value at a time when leather jacket prices are going nuts. Just $233 for off-the-rack models, $264 for custom models (where you specify precise sizing, type of hide and lining, etc.) Who else is making customized jackets for under $300 these days?!?

And for those who insist that Wested is "just a costume shop whose jackets aren't mil-spec tough", I've been wearing my cotton-lined lambskin Raiders as my warm weather leather jacket for 15 years now. Yeah, the back panel once got torn - and Wested repaired it FOR FREE - but hey, that's lambskin for you. So get one made from slightly heavier but untearable goatskin.

https://www.wested.com/custom-made-43-c.asp

3. TCS

TCS New in Town

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

4. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

And if you're after a size 46 in a G&B you probably need to get an actual size 44. The pit-to-pit measurements are huge on these guys.

5. Edward

Edward Bartender

I second the idea of a new Wested. I have a goat Radiers model that I wore traveling variously in India and China. The design of the Indy jacket is ideal for travel (plenty of pockets, no knits to stop airflow), and I was happy to wear mine places I'd be wary of having one of my prized Aeros stolen. FWIW, mine is the Wested goat; the particular hide mine was made from feels much lighter than my Aero goathide jackets (which I love) - very close to sheep / lamb, though I was never sfraid of it tearing. Excellent compromise between lightness for heat (I wore mine in 20Celsius at the Taj Mahal) and still durable enough not to worry about damage.

I don't know where Wested make 'em - I think they do some stuff in England, though presumably at the price they can afford to charge they must be donig the bulk of their manufacture a few thousand miles East of England...

6. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

Wested's new website claims that 90% of their products are made on-site in England.

I think they are in a different position from most jacket makers due to their costume shop business. They're essentially a double outfit, still primarily making costume/wardrobe for film/TV production... with what began as a sideline making Indy (etc.) jackets for internet customers that was intended just to keep their workers from being idle between costume jobs... But has gradually expanded into a very significant chunk of their biz.

(Honestly, I'm just guessing, I don't really know how much of their biz is internet sales vs. wardrobe. I just know they seem to be thriving and have a lot more jacket styles now than when I got my Raiders back in 2003.)

7. TCS

TCS New in Town

Thank you for the information. I have a G&B in a 44 long, I would like to have one a size larger to accommodate a heavy sweater. Thank you again.

8. TCS

TCS New in Town

Thank you.

9. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Good to know. I have a size 42T which fits like a large 44 and while I would ordinarily fit a classic size 42, I think a size 38 would fit me better in a G&B. I'm six two and 185 pounds.