Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW II leather jackets

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
P-47s

The biggest "equipment" error in the 1990 Memphis Belle movie is that the "star" is a converted B-17G (instead of a B-17F).

The second biggest error is this: P-51Ds instead of Bs or Cs:
It's worse then that, P-51Bs did not arrive in England until August 1943, the Memphis Belle flew her last mission on May 20, 1943! The planes that turned back would have either been early P-47s, or Spitfires.

Bomber1941

New in Town
looks right to me, just a thought too, If I where a pilot I probably would be more inclined to wear a A-2 or the B-6 anyway a B-3 would be pretty heavy and tight inside a cockpit thats why I had mentioned in the first part of the discussion is that is why a Officer (Pilot) would prefer a A-2 or something lighter. Of coarse you see everybody in pictures wearing them.

SIGGY

A-List Customer
Also whoever painted the name on the "Memphis Bell" aircraft did the lettering in fancy stylized wording , on the "true" original "Belle" it was plain Block lettering.
As to the movie having B/C model mustangs , there really aren't too many of them even restored/available right now so that was probably one of the reasons they used the very plentiful "D" models , and I think they figure the "average" joe public that would come see wouldn't know the difference .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24