Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW2 B-1 Summer Flying Hat, Repro Vs. Original

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I see there is a cool B-1 Repro available through several Sites http://www.amazon.com/B-1-Summer-Flying-reproduction-aviation/dp/B008O7KTKW

Nice price, But Ive never owned or seen an original, would anyone with experience please pipe up and let me know how the two compare.

I really want one of these, and for the price Im not too concerned, the originals are scarce and costly, Just wondering if theres a difference in the colour or material in a big way (besides the newer repro being lighter guage cheaper Cotton than the origina as per everything in the textile industry these days)

What do you think of this repro...The Brim Looks more curved than the flat square, boxy brim on the orignal.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
http://usaafflightcaps.blogspot.ca/...d-max=2014-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=2

I ordered that B-1 From Amazon, Was like another 10 Bucks for the shipping, probly going to arrive in a refrigerator Box or something.

However, Click that link!

for a few dollars more I want to ask if this guy will make me a hat someday.

This Guy has the right idea. I want to ask him whats the right material etc, wow! I want to get right into work like this.

This is what fascinates me a lot of times is the details and specifics of things like this that makes em so classic! Craftsmanship.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Ok, My B-1 China made Repro Came a few Days ago. After a few days of wearing it looks a little more like the original excepting the brim doesnt shape like the original and its a LOT lighter material, its Khaki that doesnt quite match anything in my collection, more like a scouts shirt. (Im sure its got cheap mordant in the dye too, like formaldehyde) of course it isnt the same cut, it fits more like a new style combat hat, deeper pocket..and the brim is just a regular baseball hat brim which is narrower at the edge and more rounded instead of nice and wide and boxy so I can easily Flip it up and back down, its more fixed for one type of wearing, that is the fatal flaw for me. its a quick pass, of course to an authentic its totally cheap and bawdy. I will post pics eventually of the repro.

Theres a real one right now on the bay...Im going to be seriously seriously bidding on it, because I want to make some of these myself and sell them.

Let me know if youre planning to bid please, I really dont know how much the originals are worth but I plan to get this one even if it bankrupts me.

HERE IS THE HAPPY MEDIUM between original and Crappy counterfiet, I found it finally.

If the ebay original goes for more than this: http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/newusarmyafb1cap.html Well, Im going to at least try to score it.

It will be my first hat post at the fedora lounge, I DO have fedoras in my collection I will put up for those who doubt my worthiness to the fraternity.

Im going to settle on the repro made by these guys I think, it looks closer to spec for the extra cash.

Once Modded, used and dirty it will look totally authentic, unlike the one I Just bought for 20 bucks, In hindsight I should have found WWII impressions and spent the extra time and few dollars more digging for this repro, but hey, any of you guys dont have to do that if you read this now.

There ya go.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
You can hope, it's not. Bakelite was a very brittle material, so it was probably never used for the visor on the original cap.

I don't know about that. I bought an Eastman repro, and the first time I tried to gently curve the visor a little, it went snap inside, and split into two pieces, straight down the middle, beneath the fabric covering.

Actually, that MASH repro looks exactly like the one I bought from Eastman, right down to the price.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
It wouldnt be far fetched if the well made originals had bakelite brims, a lot of industry standards were bouncing and stretching out for new ideas during wartime, if you look close at some of the Wartime photos of guys wearing these, the brims never have curves. My money was on cardboard though, or Just layered cloth like some of the wartime handmade examples. You see them with curves or worn with the peaks flipped up.

I wore a small crease down the middle of my repro Brim To make it look more used and original. the new style brim will pass at a glance if you can curve it just right. Will post pics sometime later.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I got a reply from Over at history preservation associates, who told me their B-1 Hats are imports from Japan (probly Mash)

and retailed through them at about 81 Dollars.

They will have some in stock later in the year I was told.

DTQ

New in Town
I bought an Eastman repro, and the first time I tried to gently curve the visor a little, it went snap inside, and split into two pieces, straight down the middle, beneath the fabric covering.

Is it likely that is a design feature similar to a folding brim cap of today? That would be convenient for sticking in a pocket. I notice the center indentation in the bakelite on the link you posted.

Just an idea, but something like The North Face Horizon Folding Bill Cap.

OldGreyBird

New in Town
I picked up one of What Price Glory's B-1s, and am breaking it in slowly. It's an 'indulgence' purchase, and not a style I usually wear. But this B-1 is strikingly like the originals I saw as a kid, and pretty well made; there's a working partnership in the making here. AND it does go with my A-2 jacket, after all....:cool:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
First off, I would like to see pics of your WPG B-1 hat please!

I will post the reply I got from History preservation associates regarding the craftsmanship behind the WPG b-1 repro.

also some pics of my modifications to the Cheap-o B-1 hats from china.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
grsdv.jpg vgvregr.jpg dfbd.jpg rgrgeg.jpg 4354.jpg

Ok, This is the cheap china-made B-1 AFTER I made my modifications. A quick Selfie for you all.

I didnt take before pics, I will write up how I have modded, and souped it up.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Ok, Fist off, the photos make the Green stick out like a lime real bad.

Basically that was the FIRST thing I should have started with, the COLOUR, the khaki colour originally (seen on the inside of the hat still) was all wrong.

I took a CAMO-STICK (Canadian Issue Grease paint sticks) and Just worked in the two tones of Grease paint to get the nice OD Green and that stuff has real Chlorophyl in it I think* At least it blends into the folliage or clothing, before the khaki stuck out like a sore thumb. this looks closer, I held it up against an old USAAF flight bag and it looded really good to my eye.

MY mods were- Tucking the two sitch lines at the front seams a bit to take up the baggyness.

then I added a Chamois liner over the original to fit it snug and give it more weight.

the brim I traced from an OLD 1930s GRENFELL CLOTH HAT, which is pretty worn and old but BEAUTIFUL.

and it barely fit back in. slightly wider and now at least looks worn, repaired, old, and Is carboard from an old record sleeve, its doubly thick ply tho. thats my own choice to make it thicker than standard. And what do you know, it was WORTH changing the brim! It flips up now easily and STAYS up like it SHOULD, imagine flying in a plane you need to flip it up or down to see instantly, your life depends on it!

It DOES shed some light green grease, but dried on well and will soak in more after wear and time so it wont get on hands and walls and clothes. It does make the hat have a heavier looking sheen to it though.

The snaps *should be Brass and be black, theres several variations, I made this in a hurry, using a strap from a repro US map bag and snaps off some old coat just adds weight and support to the khaki material which is too light to original Wool-cotton mix thread.

The bars are old, duno..Just had them lying around, look great. The tuck I did really gives the illusion of an original with the tighter looking creases, the back doesnt fit right but Its close enough to look like a theatre made B-1 now at a pass, and I can get away with it wearing some of my flight jackets and army trousers now.

Of course it would have been easier to take more time and get the proper material set-up and build and make one from scratch.

heh heh heh.

what do you think though..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy