Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII aircraft pilot dies in crash

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Use 'Em !!

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of the pilot and his aircraft.

And whilst I respect the rights of everyone to their opinion, here's mine !!

The pilot was willing to take the risks with his life and his plane and probably flying at airshows was his way of allowing himself to fly and enjoy himself - whilst giving pleasure to others too. The spectators were willing to pay to see these aircraft perform in the way that we have come to love and respect.

The last loss of life of any number to spectators was at Ramstein AFB in Germany in the late 80' or early 90's (?). Modern jets were used and irresponsible aerobatics / pilot error were the cause of that catastrophe.

There are plenty of static aircraft in museums and there are more vintage warbirds flying now than for many years because of the interest in people getting them flying again. The way that they are flown is much of the reason for the interest.

I was at Duxford a few years ago when the Fairey Firefly 'went-in'. It wasn't doing aerobatics. The pilot was too low coming out of a dive. An error like that or an engine failure at such low altitude would be a disaster for any plane of any age. Following those criteria no planes should be allowed in the air let alone older planes - even for just taking off and landing.

These planes belong to people - or syndicats - and the owner(s) are entitled to fly these planes as they chose.

Dave

Hondo

One Too Many
The Wingnut said:
Terrible. Absolutely tragic. May he rest in peace.

Tragic indeed, R.I.P. Out of curiosity what was the aircrafts (B17) name?
You got to take real care, baby them due to their age, fragile and deadly.

SKIDS

New in Town
While I agree that care is needed when flying a warbird (due to the fact that most are priceless), they would not be allowed into the air if they are not airworthy. And I have to say that it is sad when a talented pilot is killed when one crashes. But what do you think the pilots would say. Most of them probably consider it a huge honor to fly these planes, and if you told them not to they would go and do it anyway!

I have been to Duxford many a time and while its nice to see the museum, lets face it most people go to these events to see the warbird in the air, where it is meant to be. It would be like breeding a racehorse and then keeping it in a stable!

All I can say is I salute all the pilots that fly these planes, and keep alive the memory of all those that died in the war, and in accidents at airshows.

Warden

One Too Many
A rare World War II fighter plane has crash-landed at an airfield in Essex. Thankfully this time no one was killed

_45557823_7b26db19-106a-4e15-b58b-e3b20ce48130.jpg

See BBC news report

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/7938210.stm

Harry

Chas

One Too Many
Well, if you gotta go....go quickly.

This actually happens quite often; vintage warplanes crashing. 'Tis a fact of life. These planes were built for fighting in, and your typical product of flight schools are not specifically taught to fly warbirds. Not that this was the case here, but it happens a lot. These planes are tricky to fly, and are unforgiving. Glamorous, but dangerous! Didn't this fellow lose his son in a similar accident? I seem to recall something to that effect.

There are old pilots, bold pilots, but no old bold pilots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy