Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Army Officers Dress Shoes

griffer

Practically Family
scotrace said:
I have a pair of those Rickson's and they are the very best shoe I own in any style. Beautifilly made and very comfortable. They only come out for wear about once a month. It was a lucky buy: HPA posted them at a discount and I called right away. $150.

Oh, crap. I am in love with the HPA site. I need another job though!

The watches, the Rickson's, the jackets... Yup, I want it all.

Curse this serpentine forum with its delicious and expensive apples!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I have the WPG service shoes, and am pretty happy with the quality. They were comfortable right out of the box, and the sole is spot on. Mine aren't made from that green leather, at least not the bits I've seen thus far! I will say, however, that the leather is a bit thin, and I have my doubts as to whether they'd hold up to much rough use. I've been hesitant to wear them under adverse conditions for that reason, but they are great for "garrison" wear.

I did get them with two different lengths laces, though, and haven't been able to track down a good pair. Anyone know off the top of their heads what the proper length is?

Baggers

Practically Family
Laces for service shoes are 40". For those who doubt, I take you to At The Front's web site and the following image:

shoelace_label.jpg

And for those who say they don't fit, all I can say is mine work fine. Once the boot leather broke in I had enough to get a nice tight double knot.

Both ATF and What Price Glory stock them, although Jerry has priced his a buck more than ATF. [huh]

Cheers!

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
I too own a pair of Buzz Rickson's.
And, I'll add, do not waste your money.
If you are wanting a shoe acccurate
for WWII Reenacting, do not buy them.
Their color is far too "orange" to be considered
the correct "russett". I own a few original shoes
from WWII, and although the Rickson's are well made,
they are not acceptable for an accurate WWII impression.

Ricksons:

http://www.eaglesquadrons.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=31

Originals:

http://www.eaglesquadrons.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=22&pos=14

SJ

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can of course still buy original WW11 low quarters. I bought an unworn pair for the US on ebay for £70 last year. A perfect fit!:)

doghouse riley

New in Town
Late posting...sorry. Go with Roland Curtis at "At the Front". His GI stuff is reasonably priced and made in the states. I have been in the industry and hobby for a long time and for the dollar... at this time... he can't be touched on GI. BTW, just got back from a flood of an event and the raincoat I got from AEF is the closest I have seen to an original. Jerry Lee's at WPG look like Trojan armor.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matt Deckard said:
Thanks for the pics Shanghai.

I need to see more of the original stuff in living color. I wish I had a pair of originals though do think the Buzz ricksons look snazzy on their own eventhough they may not be accurate.

The best I can do is to photograph my originals and post them on the forum!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
How MANY times do I have to say this, guys?!

Officers low quarters, like every other part of the WWII uniform, was individually purchased and the colors are all over the spectrum. While the official QM color was "russet," I have yet to understand EXACTLY what that color is in today's color-ways... Is it the same tan/brown as AE "chestnut," or is it more red/brown like the AE "chili," or is it something else?

But, in any case, here's how I've solved this dilemma for my reenacting. I have a chocolate (dark green) crusher from WWII impressions that has a dark brown leather brim and chinstrap. So for me it's the Ralph Lauren brown laceups of the same color. They're not anywhere near the historical accuracy of the Buzz Rickson shoes, but they suit my needs just fine.

Baggers

Practically Family
Great point Zemke. Additionally, all the The Officer's Guide from 1942 instructs is that the russet shade of leather uniform items match. So your solution of matching the shoes to your service cap brim is perfect.

Also, one thing I've always wondered about concerning the BRs. Why did they put a rubber half sole on them? It just dawned on me that the bottoms looked like a Type II service shoe that would have been issued by the QM to an enlisted man. Considering that low quarters were primarily worn only with the service uniform, wouldn't the majority have opted for a dressier looking shoe with a full leather sole? Especially since they were paying for it out of their own pockets?

Cheers!

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Since the purpose of the rubber pieces on the soles of the enlisted service shoes was to save shoe leather and make the boots wear longer, then perhaps that was the reason they were added to the officer's shoes as well?

Officer/enlisted distinctions are sometimes bizarre. In some armies enlisted wore hobnails or rubber soles while officers wore plain leather. In other armies enlisted wore plain leather with rubber heels and officers wore hobnails and leather soles with heel irons!

Baggers

Practically Family
That may be, but if you'll look at that picture of the BR's sole, it has "U.S. ARMY" molded into it which I'm assuming means an issue item. Since officers had to obtain theirs through private purchase from a retailer, wouldn't they have had something more civilian? I just find it incongruous that the same exact spec sole used on the QM issued service shoe would be found on a civilian model. And again, given the various styles available to officers -- monk straps, chukka boots, etc. -- I would expect that they would wear something with a dressier finish. After all, an officer needed to look like an officer and was encouraged not to try and make do with clothing items used by enlisted men, with the exception of certain field uniform items available for sale to officers by the Quartermaster. Now I imagine that an officer could have had his shoes resoled by the QM at some point in his service, but I'm having a hard time accepting that they came that way when purchased new.

Cheers!

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I seem to recall that the Officer's Guide mentioned at one point the type of footwear items available for purchase from the quartermaster? I think it even advises officers not to buy some private purchase shoes/boots and instead buy the enlisted pattern? I don't have my copy on me at the moment so I could be wrong through.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
the 1941 officers manual shows the low quarters being private perchase. All the boots and gaters and such are issue.

Either way i like th look of the Buzz Rickson...

We need to see some originals to compare the soles.

Maxwell Demille has a pair... i hope he tells us about them i would love to see pics.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Vladimir Berkov said:
I seem to recall that the Officer's Guide mentioned at one point the type of footwear items available for purchase from the quartermaster? I think it even advises officers not to buy some private purchase shoes/boots and instead buy the enlisted pattern? I don't have my copy on me at the moment so I could be wrong through.

Actually, I read that as well.
There was great concern over new officers duped into buying unauthorized goods from dubious salesmen. So there were some off the rack Officers goods available at the PX.

As for the BuzzRickson sole, it seems to be the same as the service shoes or the paratrooper boot. I doubt many people would take note of your sole unless youve been knocked flat on your back by a sailor.
;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
MrBern said:
There was great concern over new officers duped into buying unauthorized goods from dubious salesmen.
Suppose that's how that monk-strap shoe fad got started?

At some point it may have been deemed advisable for all personnel to wear the rubber half-soles rather than use up more leather in resoling. The question is: leather or rubber - which was in shorter supply?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80