Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII combat fatigues question

$ally

One Too Many
Were any American 1943-44 field caps camo? I've seen German ones that were camo, but have only seen USA in olive drab. I've seen camo helmet covers and that's it.

Teabag1927

Familiar Face
No, all US field caps, such as the m43 were O.D. The Marine camo caps that are sometimes seen reproduced are more of a fantasy item, although some may have been made in the field, or privately made by a tailor. As a general rule, all us field caps are OD.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
None were Camoflaged, some were theater made (Pacific theater). These were usually made by rigger/tailors. The Americans really did not dabble in Camo like the Germans. In the Normandy some troops were issued Camo uniforms like the Marines in the Pacific. They were fired on by friendly troops because Americans were not known for wearing Camo in the ETO. In a nutshell in the Pacific Camo was used the ETO limited. The only Camo head cover was the Marine helmet cover.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
FYI

http://www.atthefront.com/us_uni_camo.htm
Camo Caps: These were never made or issued in WWII. They are "Maximum Farb". The only reason we made them at all was that we had so many requests for "matching caps". It got so annoying, that for the first (and hopefully only) time, we acquiesced and made a fantasy item. These caps are fine to wear at your wedding, to a job interview or at Christmas dinner with the in-laws, but, like a helmet cover, wearing one for reenacting or living historically as an Army infantryman pegs the FARB meter. It just screams "Special"..."Education"....not "Forces".
The one exception to all this is the 11th Airborne Division which fought in the Phillipines. NOT NORMANDY. Several original tailor or field made camo caps are attributed to this unit and are referred to as "Swing Caps" after the commanding general of that division.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy