Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Flight Sims

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
I must say, IL-2 1946 with some of the community additions is a truly amazing game. I ended up being hooked on a German campaign for weeks on end. Combined with a penchant for a creative writing brain, it was good fun. One thing I've noticed with these flight-sims is they seem to have some odd way of attempting to emulate the life-span of a pilot. After, say, a hundred hours of flying, a mission will be created that is impossible to survive without either extreme luck in the flying of, or simply limping home at 10ft above the trees watching tracer wick over the wings.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Smithy, bought it on your recommendation. Tally ho!

How did I miss this?

T

It's bloody fantastic isn't it? :D

Just make sure you download the latest 2.11 patch and you'll be laughing.

It's incredibly accurate in virtually every aspect, the developers have done a remarkable job.

Just take your time and ease yourself into it, it's easy to be overwhelmed by the breadth of this game.

My best advice is to approach this one step at a time. Start with the Novice sim setting and then gradually move it up and practice, practice, practice the training sorties especially once you have the sim level to medium and higher. Formation flying is particularly difficult first off and requires a lot of practice but is essential once you start a campaign flying as a pilot in the Battle. But it's hugely rewarding learning to fly on the highest sim settings where you have to worry about engine management, prop pitch, etc. That's the real icing on the cake and I have found learning to fly well (and I'm by no means perfect yet) enormously enjoyable. Keep at it and enjoy learning to fly a Spit of a Hurri, you get a real sense of achievement once you can just start up, take off, land, fly formation, etc.

Another useful investment is an A-Z road atlas of Britain, and have that at hand for navigation. The developers have made this so that the geography is accurate to 1940s Britain. Although modern, most of the main roads have not changed and obviously the towns and villages are in the same place. I've found flying with a road map on my knee a huge benefit.

Great to hear you've picked this up Talbot, take your time and keep at it, you'll be rewarded with the best time machine back to 1940 there is.

Tally Ho and beware of that Hun in the sun!

Last edited:

Talbot

One Too Many
Thanks Smithy.

I never really got into CFS3. In a moment of weakness I recently moved it to my new PC and deleted it in disappointment just the other day.

Had a nasty experience with a title that turned out to be an arcade game and have stuck with a mid century FS9 and dabbled with FSX since.

A time machine to 1940 is about the best compliment I can think of for a game (although this description does not seem apt.) I'll be watching the post with anticipation and dusting off my road atlas of the UK.

Chocks Away!

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
I must say, IL-2 1946 with some of the community additions is a truly amazing game. I ended up being hooked on a German campaign for weeks on end. Combined with a penchant for a creative writing brain, it was good fun. One thing I've noticed with these flight-sims is they seem to have some odd way of attempting to emulate the life-span of a pilot. After, say, a hundred hours of flying, a mission will be created that is impossible to survive without either extreme luck in the flying of, or simply limping home at 10ft above the trees watching tracer wick over the wings.

Yes, IL2 has come along way and the third party people have improved it allot and it is by far the best combat flight sim for online play. With the ability to create and fly campaigns from the different time frames and theaters of WWII and a good solid online community IL2 will be around for awhile longer. Hyper Lobby now has a WWI servor up and running and with a patch you can fly some great WWI planes. So now IL2 can be used for everything from WWI, the Spanish Civil War, Korea and Vietnam. Not since CFS2 has a combat flight sim been this versatile.

Chas

One Too Many
Haven't played a WW2 flight sim for some time, but may have to give my Roman Legions a break and strap back into a Spit. Many thanks for this thread.

For WWI nothing beats "Over Flanders Fields" by the by.

I used to play Pacific Aces a LOT. My favorite mount will always be the Hellcat, and carrier landings are a gas.

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
Haven't played a WW2 flight sim for some time, but may have to give my Roman Legions a break and strap back into a Spit. Many thanks for this thread.

For WWI nothing beats "Over Flanders Fields" by the by.

I used to play Pacific Aces a LOT. My favorite mount will always be the Hellcat, and carrier landings are a gas.

I have CFS3 but I have never played the Over Flanders Fields addon for it. It might be a good reason to get into a little more Combat Flight Sim 3.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Holy Thread Revival Batman!

Found this thread doing a different advanced search". I've been flight simming since the original "Red Baron" and "Their Finest Hour". I've flown about everything military from then to now. I'm in a Squadron and fly nightly in "IL2 1946". I also dabble in "Cliff's of Dover" (don't get me started on THAT one) and "Rise of Flight".

Worf

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
Holy Thread Revival Batman!

Found this thread doing a different advanced search". I've been flight simming since the original "Red Baron" and "Their Finest Hour". I've flown about everything military from then to now. I'm in a Squadron and fly nightly in "IL2 1946". I also dabble in "Cliff's of Dover" (don't get me started on THAT one) and "Rise of Flight".

Worf
Hello Worf
Do you fly IL2 on hyperlobby, and which squad? My squad is NS38th.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
I used Pacific Aces quite alot a few years ago. It's basically IL2 though. My favorite American plane was the Corsair, the way it got speed in a dive and didn't lock up (like the P38) made it great for Boom n Zoom. There's something great about landing the Ensign Eliminator on a carrier too.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I used Pacific Aces quite alot a few years ago. It's basically IL2 though. My favorite American plane was the Corsair, the way it got speed in a dive and didn't lock up (like the P38) made it great for Boom n Zoom. There's something great about landing the Ensign Eliminator on a carrier too.

Nice to meet another IL2 fan. All carrier traps can be tricky. The Corsair is certainly harder than the F6F and any of the bombers to land. You have to come in so hot and the snout is so long... Yeah... it's a bear to fly. Keep Em Flying Asienizen!

Worf

Erich Johann

New in Town
My first experience with flight sims was Flight Simulator 3.0 back in '91 ... Took a good five years before someone told me to press "W" to actually start the war in the combat ace part of the game ... SWOtL was great (got that game for cheap shortly thereafter).

hatguy1

One Too Many
When I first read the title WWII Flight Sims, this is what I first thought of....

WPAFB Museum 15 WW2 Link IFR trainer-L.jpg

Guess my age is showing.

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
Sorry I missed this and responded so late. I fly with the 99th. I'm 99th_Worf when in HL. We're smaller than we used to be but we're still one of the oldest squads out there.

Worf
My squad started in CFS1, and moved on to CFS2. Only three of us flew in IL2-1946, and I quite a couple of years ago, while attending college. I need to get back into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy