Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Historical Maps from Google Earth

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
This promises to be pretty neat:

http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2010/02/wwii-historical-imagery-in-google-earth.html

From the homepage:

Many of us have heard stories, read books and watched films which show the many impacts of WWII across the world. Today we're giving you another way to understand this period in time - by exploring a new set of historical aerial images, taken over European cities during World War II, via the historical imagery feature in Google Earth. They can now be compared directly to images from the present day.

The historical imagery feature gives people a unique perspective on the events of the past using today's latest mapping technology. We hope that this World War II imagery will enable all of us to understand our shared history in a new way and to learn more about the impact of the war on the development of our cities.

Images taken in 1943 show the effect of wartime bombing on more than 35 European towns and cities. Imagery for Warsaw, which was heavily destroyed at the time, is available from both years 1935 and 1945. They remind us all of the devastating impact of war on the people in those cities and also the remarkable way in which urban environments are reconstructed and regenerated over time.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Funny I was just thinking about this. I am re-reading " Those Devil's in Baggy Pants ". I wanted to see the terrain features of Italy. Years ago I was trying to find vintage road / area maps of my neighborhood. I am trying to find the War years as there were alot of Air Fields here. Anybody have any suggestions ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner