Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Pea Coats

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
I just got my second WWII pea coat. The first one I got is a Coast Guard coat. This one is a Navy coat. I was surprised to find that the wool material on the Navy coat is sleightly different then the material that the Coast Cuard coat is made of. The Navy coat has this felt, velvet like material - this material is absolutely beautiful, and incredible. It also is a tinch lighter in color with a sleight purple highlight to it. I also noticed that the material on the Navy coat is also sleightly different then the material that my 1949, 1966, and 1969 coats are made of. All five of these coats have different but very similar Kersey material. The Coast Guard coat has the more common Kersey wool material, but also has a sleight purple highlight to it. As usual the measurements given on ebay were smaller then what was listed and I now have another coat to put up for sale.

CC-1

Familiar Face
Aren't we fortunate to have these though? Recently got a mint item which I dated to June 1944 from the Naval Clothing Factory in Brooklyn. The materials, workmanship and fit is clearly superior to the Buzz Rickson pea coats I tried down on Orchard Street. They want $750 but mine was slightly over $100 for the real thing!

Peacoat

Bartender
Spoon, do you find the material in the 1949 coat is the nicest of the lot? My 1949 has the nicest shell of any of the ones I have.

The material does vary a bit from the different eras. Probably due to different contractors obtaining their materials from different sources, or a slight variance in the manufacturing process itself.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
I think I might like the Navy WWII material the best. I think my 1949 might be a tinch thicker and a tinch heavier but not as soft or smooth. I can't believe how heavy the '49 is. It feels like there is lead in it. It however is a size 40 and I will probably ebay it when the season opens up again for winter coats since my size is a 44L or 46. I can't imagine how heavy a '49 in size 46 would be!!! The Navy WWII fells like some heavy dense short velvet and is very smooth and soft, but I'm sure still very tough. My WWII Coast Guard is closer to the more common Kerseys. I used to know people who lived at 81 Orchard St. many years ago. I'm from the city but now live 60 miles north of it.

CC-1

Familiar Face
My WW2 is similar to the 1966 coat but slightly thinner and less rigid. In the '66 my arms feel like they're in a stove pipe. The kersy has a harsher Scotchbrite feel-definitely needs breaking in. The 1968 coat I was issued was very good too but had the flannel pockets which to me was the beginning of the decline. My 1990 Sterlingwear was just okay, fuzzier melton with the satin/thermal lining (which pills). The 2010 Sterlingwear I got from the factory is the worst. The coat beats a Swiffer in collecting dust and cooties. It's impossible to keep clean. Poor detailing too, probably a shortcut for machine construction.

No fault of Sterlingwear, however. They just build to specs. I think it's a shame we don't dress our service personnel with the style and quality of former years. The uniform represents the service and is a source of pride for the wearer. I saw a WW2 movie recently showing post-WW2 MP's in Germany. You can't believe how smart they looked.

Dr. Peacoat is right though about performance. I find them all pretty equivalent in warmth with kersey having a slight edge in shedding water.
Personally I like the big collar folded over the cheeks and chin better than the throat strap. But WW2 for the coolth factor and defending against BR replicas. -also a city kid living now near Danbury.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
I live only a few minutes from you. I'm right off of Rt.84 NY exit 15. I have two black coats. One from 1995, and one from 2001. The lining on those coats pills and does pill quite quickly. The 1995 is in just about new, mint condition. I bought it a few months ago. I only wore it a few ( and I do mean a few) times and I can see it just about starting to pill all ready. The 2001 I also bought this past Dec. and it had pills when I got it. I removed most of them only to find they came right back again very quickly - enough of the black coats for me. They're decent but nothing like the blue ones. I have a very hard time finding the old Kerseys in my size. I have three - one is a 1969 44L and the other is a 1969 46. My Coast Guard WWII I think is a 44. It fits me but is a tinch too small. I can still wear it though. I also have a 1949 40, and a 1966 40. I've found out that some of the measurements that are listed on ebay are smaller then they really are. My WWII Navy coat wound up smaller then the measurements said so now I have three coats I should try to sell. I'd love to find an early '60s or '50s in my size 46.

CC-1

Familiar Face
The pilling is the worst and it's been going on for 20 years now. My 1980 was embarrassing. I cleaned it up and gave to my foreman's wife. She fills it out better than me. I shrivelled from size 40 to 38 since the Navy. - Hey, maybe we could check our stuff out together when it gets a little cooler after Labor Day. I will try to figure out how to use the PM feature. I always look for large sizes for FL guys.

Peacoat

Bartender
CC-1 said:
The pilling is the worst and it's been going on for 20 years now. My 1980 was embarrassing. I cleaned it up and gave to my foreman's wife. She fills it out better than me. I shrivelled from size 40 to 38 since the Navy. - Hey, maybe we could check our stuff out together when it gets a little cooler after Labor Day. I will try to figure out how to use the PM feature. I always look for large sizes for FL guys.

To send a PM, click on the person's name to whom you wish to send the message. A drop down menu will then drop down (fancy that), and one of the options will be "Send PM," or words to that effect. Quite simple.

doctor dan

New in Town
I found this post quite interesting. I forgot that between my wife and I we had several pea coats that we purchased in the 60's upstairs in the attic. You could go to the surplus store and have your pick for next to nothing and pick up a couple of pairs of $5 blue jeans. What I found funny was that also somewhere in the attic is a Irwin that I purchased in the 60's along with a A2. I forgot that they were there until I read this post. The reason it is so funny is I bought, a couple of months ago, another Irwin for my RAF collection since I thought I did not have one. I think I am starting to get old because for my wild west collection I was about to buy Smith and Wesson top break belly gun but fortunatly I opened the draw of my work bench and low and behold , there was one that I had taken apart for cleaning. I decided then, no more guns; well maybe just one or two. My wife always saves everything with the orriginal box if it applies and if you do not use it, or it seems you have lost interest in it, it takes up residence in our attic. I wonder how many other collectors are experiencing the same thing. Our kids will have a lot of fun selling off what we leave behind.

Peacoat

Bartender
doctor dan said:
My wife always saves everything with the orriginal box if it applies and if you do not use it, or it seems you have lost interest in it, it takes up residence in our attic.

Do you mind if I visit your attic the next time I am in Chicago?

Peacoat

Bartender
dr greg said:
I just saw a Schott 'leather peacoat' on our local ebay, nice coat, but did the USN really issue leather peacoats? I would have thought that the constant moisture onboard a ship would be unsuitable for leather garments....

You are on the money, Doc. No leather peacoats by the USN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo