Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Reenacting Discussion Thread

DavidJones

One of the Regulars
I've been a member for a couple months and this is my first posting with the Fedora Lounge, and I just wanted to say hello.

I've been reenacting British WWII for three years now. My unit is the 6th Airborne Division, 7th Parachute battalion, commanded by Major Pine-Coffin
(Yes his real name)

shamus

Suspended
my buddy does this and told me a funny story of an "after" battle.

They had a big reinactment somewhere and all the guys.. Alied /axis went to this local watering hole after the battle. Well the locals didn't know quite what to expect as all these guys come in with wwii uniforms. US and Nazis. The US guys all gathered at one end while the germans gathered at the other end. All ordered beers and then the battle began. The US started singing US drinking songs of the period, then the "Germans" sang their songs in german of course. Each side singing louder to outdo the other side. He says the locals were a bit scared.... But it all ended well... until the next battle.

Holzkopf

New in Town
I reenact with Fox Company, 5th Ranger Battalion. We're stationed out in So Cal. Reenacting is the most amazing way to get closer to understanding what soldiers and sailors and pilots went through during the Second World War. I'm also the company medic, which is really great.

You can check us out at:

http://www.foxcompany5thrib.com/

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
Website

Halliburton,
I cannot take full credit for the website. Bruce and the others have contributed the bulk of the content. But we thank you for your compliments, and we are always updating, so stay tuned.. LOL
Your website is great too, keep up the good work!
Tails Up!
SJ

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Hey everybody,

I never quite got the whole re-enacting thing. I and a good friend were at an airshow over the summer and there were a aircrews decked out in full gear preflighting a B-17 and I gotta tell ya it looked like a photo from England during the War. It really enhanced the experience so maybe I've changed my mind about it; a little anyway.

Allen

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Hey Airfrog

As far as the reenacting thing goes... Many just go to have fun and hang with people who like the same stuff. However there are some that are addicted and almost fanatical. Many like to educate and such. But I think that everyone is looking for that moment that it almost seems like they are "there", regardless of the timeline they're working with.

So regardless of wheather it's drinking or cigars with the fellas, helping a wounded comrade to safety or even just hearing the roar of the crowd as the hero shoots you dead in the streets (Talking from experience there), it's usually good and safe fun.

GMO

Brimstone

missjo

Practically Family
Reenactment or living history has many sides, to many its just playing soldiers, to others like me its more like actually taking a step back in time, getting closer to your ancestors and experiencing things youve only read about.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I thought it'd be neat to assemble uniforms for a Marine Sgt. from the Span-Am War and WWII but haven't gotten off my tuckas to do it. I agree that, in general, you should only wear what you were, situation permitting.

Also, it would give me an excuse to buy more guns, a sword and such

Story

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
I agree that, in general, you should only wear what you were, situation permitting.

Hmmm.. then what's to be done about the 18 year olds wandering about Reading in USAAF Colonel's outfits? [huh]

carebear

They can do what they want. The whole "don't wear it if you didn't earn it" is just a personal opinion.

As long as they are as respectful and thorough as most reenactors I'm aware of, I don't have a problem with it. History is worth preserving.

Feraud

Bartender
Story said:
Hmmm.. then what's to be done about the 18 year olds wandering about Reading in USAAF Colonel's outfits? [huh]
Let us not blame the kids alone on this. Adults tend to "overreach" in their reenacting persona. How about all the out of shape paratroopers and special force reenactors?
Too many generals, not enough grunts. ;)

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Erk. Don't get me started on fat reenactors!

'What's his impression, a barrage balloon?' 'Hermann Goering called, he wants to know if you'd like to borrow his uniform!'

...as for adults overreaching their impressions, my group of friends is odd in that they're mostly in their 40s and 50s, and they're all captains...every one of them. I began wearing major's leaves at 25, which is fairly accurate for that era(and because my one friend that I spent the most time with wore captain's bars, and I was older than him)...I caught so much crap for it. I was eventually publically 'demoted' to a 2nd lieutenant so I'd 'fit in'. I'm now 30 and if I was doing a proper officer impression, I'd still be wearing major's leaves. 30 was OLD back then!

Warden

One Too Many
As you may of guessed from our previous posts, Mrs W and I are re-enactors, anything from Edwardian to the 1950s.

The majority of the work is WW2 based, its what the public want, plus the WW2 British home front is key stage two of our educational system.

To see us re-enacting click on the URL in the signature

Pip pip

Harry

Dixon Cannon

Yes. No.

There isn't much WWII re-enacting here in the Arizona desert, especially because the summers are so freakin' hot! A bunch of us put together a Luftwaffe contingent to support the CAF's display of their once proud Heinkel 111. When the Heinkel met it's tragic demise a few years ago, there wasn't much need for a 'crew' anymore.

8ef5d298.jpg

About the only place to show off our kit is at the annual CAF 'Night In the 40's' swing dance each March. The next day it becomes too hot to wear a leather jacket!

-Oberst Dixon von Cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner