Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Reenactment Pics

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Well, on the honoring our vets argument the different units in the CHG bring vets to events all the time. 2nd ID brought a 3rd Marine Corps vet to the last Roberts battle, and the 101st has brought 4? 101st vets to events. And different individuals bring vets all the time. I think DaveP has pictures...

We like to involve vets, because we get a learning experience, and its a privilege to hear their stories.

Davep

One of the Regulars
Well P51, I'd have to say you are spot on, with everything you said.

The "honoring the vet" statement for most (not all) is a cliche, something people say to garner instant acceptance of what they do.

But there are people who do "honor the vet". The California 101st airborne unit has many close ties to not on Airborne vets, but also other vets. They bring them to events, the guys in the unit pitch in and buy him his wartime jacket, add all the patches, get him a garrison cap, and his unit's pin. Recently they put together a collection to move Ed Pepping out of his apartment into a new one. They also reunited to wartime buddies, who had been looking for each other for over 60 years.

So there are some units that actually do honor the vets, but the phrase is so over used it's meaningless.

I think if your units does something with WW2 Vets, then you have earned the privledge of saying so. But for every reenactor, standing in front of the public to say this, it just no so.

Edward

Bartender
Are there any folks out there who portray Home Guard, and specifically HG conscriptees? I'm intrigued by this as I only recently disovered that there were folks conscripted into the Home Guard, or, more accurately, I now know it was an option in areas where it was considered necessary. This is all alien to me, as, of course, conscription never happened at all in Northern Ireland (for obvious reasons!). I'm not much military minde, but I'm intrigued by the idea of re-enactment from a civilian defence force pov, whether "real" (French, and other, Resistance groups) or (at least in large part) a morale exercise, like the Home Guard.

Marcus

A-List Customer
Every so often, the 352nd ID (German) out here in CA does a Volksturm impression if the scenario is VERY late war. I've only seen it twice. Tactically they are a write-off since they usually die quickly and/or surrender, but I suppose that is correct for that impression. They've come out in suits and hodge-podge military clothing items.

p51

One Too Many
There’s no question that there ARE groups out there who do nice things for vets, but generally speaking, most don’t. I want to strangle the people who brag that they ‘work with vets” when in fact what they’re often doing is badgering them for info and trying to talk them out of what little of their stuff they still have. I have personally watched one very well-placed historian (won’t name names so don’t ask) in the past walking up to people of that age group, and asking them right out of the blue if they served, then immediately if they still have any of their stuff. Made me sick to watch and even sicker to know he’s now a almost household name in certain circles.
Davep said:
Well P51, I'd have to say you are spot on, with everything you said.

The "honoring the vet" statement for most (not all) is a cliche, something people say to garner instant acceptance of what they do.

But there are people who do "honor the vet". The California 101st airborne unit has many close ties to not on Airborne vets, but also other vets. They bring them to events, the guys in the unit pitch in and buy him his wartime jacket, add all the patches, get him a garrison cap, and his unit's pin. Recently they put together a collection to move Ed Pepping out of his apartment into a new one. They also reunited to wartime buddies, who had been looking for each other for over 60 years.

So there are some units that actually do honor the vets, but the phrase is so over used it's meaningless.

I think if your units does something with WW2 Vets, then you have earned the privledge of saying so. But for every reenactor, standing in front of the public to say this, it just no so.

Davep

One of the Regulars
But for those doing Living History which for the most part is "table displays" with historical information printed and display in a book or poster, the "doing it to honor the vets" or to "educate the public" is nothing more than justification or a explanation for them being in the hot sun all day, dress in army gear. These catch phrases buys the reenactor the look of credibility

How many people who do either tactical battle and/or Living History events started this hobby with "doing it to honor the vets" or to "educate the public" as their primary or sole purpose for even getting into the hobby in the first place. Only to start using those cliches after going and having friends and family asking, what are you doing?

Also every forum discussion of "why we do this" has very few of the post and reasons given as "to honor the vets" or "to educate the public", oh they are there, but the lion share of the reasons given are not those.

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
Reeanactment on Film - Africa Invasion

Here is Reenactment Pics Kind of; actually a film set "One Way Home" recreating the Africa invasion...

3765215272_15f211ac3b.jpg

3765209194_525415d192.jpg

More Photos

Some of my handy work - special effects make-up

3764341563_8706414c41.jpg

I think some reenactments are way to sterile; I am going to be offering up my special effects make-up at events...figure can make-up the GI's before they hit the field hospital (or in the case above the Germans).

Andy Baillie

New in Town
Eyemo said:
Hi Andy, are you a memeber of any reenactment group?:)

Hi, I'm not a member of a group, but I do go around shows with my some of my friends who are interested too.

I really like this forum, everyone seems so friendly and helpful towards others :)

Also, I want to wear 40's clothes everyday in the future once I have enough to go ahead with it
:)

Trotsky

A-List Customer
p51 said:
AMEN to that! I have started to mentally compile a list of the personality types you encounter. There’s the postwar vet who never went anywhere or did anything and wants SOMEONE to hear his barracks floor buffer stories, there’s the ROTC cadet who has to show off his skills because his friends are sick of watching demonstrations of low crawling or how to disassemble an M-16. There’s also the baby-boomer who wants to know everything about their long-departed father but can’t recall anything about his service (and always says “No” to every question asked to try to narrow it down, leaving you to wonder if Dad maybe served with the Germans). And there's the video game kid. They're between 10 and 16, and will proceed to tell you all the false info they leanred off their videogames and that you can't poissibly be right about a tommy gun magazine only havving 20-30 round because Call to Bulge 5 has an unlimited bullet supply in one. [huh] And lastly, there’s “The camper.” He’s the guy (they’re always guys) with questionable intelligence, social skills and hygiene, who will stand at your display ALL DAY and try to muscle into every conversation you have with the pubic, often with ramblings that don’t fit the discussion. Often you can totally ignore The Camper’s existence and they’ll just hang there all day anyway.
I do mostly display events now. I try not to call it “living history” when we dress up in uniforms and stand by a display explaining what it all is. To me, living history is what they do at places like Williamsburg. While I have seen people at WW2 events doing a “day in the life” thing, it’s not very common at all.
I’ve been into re-enacting overall since the age of 5 and have been into WW2 since 1989. Seen it all. In the past few years, I’ve been hearing the “we do it to honor the vets” argument, which is relatively new. I don’t buy into that because the majority of re-enactments are private and closed to the public. That doesn’t “honor” anyone other than the people who take part in them. If you want to honor vets, well, your events should be public so people can see what you’re doing (better yet, go volunteer at a VA hospital like I have, but that’s another topic). WW2 re-enacting seems to be unique in the overall hobby in that the people portrayed are still around in appreciable numbers. You can say you do Civil War or other more archaic time periods simply because you like doing it. Not so apparently with WW2. Saying you like going to events, wearing the gear and enjoying the event seems to be some kind of unacceptable answer. I have no idea why this is. Also, people who have served in the real military often sit on their high horse, looking down on those who never served. Well, I did serve and frankly, I see myself as no more entitled to wear a WW2 uniform than anyone else. Unless you were actually IN the war, we’re all just living the fantasy and enjoying ourselves when we go to events. I will go to my grave wondering why that isn’t an acceptable answer for so many WW2 re-enactors.

Good post. We are, to put it lightly, "Walts" as in Walter Mittys. It's a British Army phrase from the Army Rumour Service and fits what we do very, very well.
I fully acknowledge the fact I am a Walt. I do like to educate the public as to the war. Showing kids how a squad would undertake a typical action using the Bren Gun; demonstrating mundane things in camp, all of that. But, when it comes down to it I'm a Walt and proud of it, it's a good hobby to be in. The farther back you go, by the way, the less walty you are and hence, my F&I impression helps balance my Waltiness.

Eyemo

Practically Family
Andy Baillie said:
Hi, I'm not a member of a group, but I do go around shows with my some of my friends who are interested too.

I really like this forum, everyone seems so friendly and helpful towards others :)

Also, I want to wear 40's clothes everyday in the future once I have enough to go ahead with it

Andy, can you send me your email address to (edited)

Thanks!
Seimon

Story

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Are there any folks out there who portray Home Guard, and specifically HG conscriptees?

Contact WARDEN on FL, he does Home Guard.

http://www.homefrontfriends.org.uk/

Edward said:
I'm not much military minde, but I'm intrigued by the idea of re-enactment from a civilian defence force pov, whether "real" (French, and other, Resistance groups) or (at least in large part) a morale exercise, like the Home Guard.

I know what you're trying to say, but the threat of Invasion was very real and had history tacked slightly in another direction, the Home Guard would have had a very 'real' casualty list.

You'd have to have a pair of brass ones to take on a Mk III Panzer with just a couple of bottles of gasoline and an old SMLE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Sealion

PS : Not so long ago, the United States Army National Guard wasn't considered part of the 'real Army'. Seen our casualty lists lately?

cco23i

A-List Customer
By the way DaveP, our unit mostly doesn't stand around tables and talk, granted there is that but when you have access to a B-24 and concrete bombs and ALL the stuff to load boms and have a mission with, I can't consider that just "standing around". ;)

Scott

tbrunke

Familiar Face
Andy Baillie said:

Welcome to the FL Andy.

Davep

One of the Regulars
Scott - granted you have something with which to re-create a moment in time.

I think the good Living History events are those which [1] are specific to one era, i.e. not the 31 flavors of Historical ages and [2] it's set up to look like one large encampment.

A lot of Living History events are set up like job fairs with each unit setting up a booth at a trade show.:rolleyes: All waiting like lonely little puppies waiting for John Q. Public to come and ask them a question about WW2.

It would be nicer to walk right dam smack in the middle of a army military base. All the units pryamid tents lined up, together with the medical/hospital tent area. Vehicles parked at various points. Mess tent set up, Supply tent set up. And the parimeter set up with MG's and MP's.

Do this for an American Camp, and German Camp, etc etc.

cco23i

A-List Customer
That's exactly what some of the British AAF guys are trying to set up next year. I'd like to do that somewhere in the central part of the U.S so EVERYBODY who does Army air corps could have a flying chance to make an actual working airfield. Someday I guess.;)

Scott

cco23i

A-List Customer
NOPE! An actual base with ALL the units needed and actual training missions. Doing Air Corps we can actually get away with doing a "training mission" a lot easier and be more realistic than the infantry types can.
The thing is this, after being a crew chief in the Air Force for over 20 years doing our living history "bomber camp" is the closest thing I have EVER done to a real military deployment. We get there, GI party the area (super cleaning job), set our areas up, prep the bombs and such, prep our loading area, do an evening brief then hit the rack. The next day we have a morning briefing by myself and the maintenance officer then we start doing student inductions and weapons training, Load the bombs, do a walk around the aircraft with the pilots and crew and launch them out. They return and it starts all over.
Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo