Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII secrets...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Quigley Brown said:
What's the most secretive WWII secret that you want to find out about?

Easy...the alleged attack by German Kommandos on a radar station near Ventnor on the Isle of Wight, ostensibly a counter action to the Bruneval raid.

I'm still not sure whether this really took place or not.

Alan

Luddite

One of the Regulars
Where the tunnel is which links Thurleigh/Twinwoods airfield to a local country mansion next to the London rail line, right in the middle of the 'Bedford Triangle'.

Apparently used for absolute secrecy on insertion missions. Not even the pilot got to see who was getting in. I used to work on the airfield and never managed to confirm this urban myth.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Alan Eardley said:
Easy...the alleged attack by German Kommandos on a radar station near Ventnor on the Isle of Wight, ostensibly a counter action to the Bruneval raid.

I'm still not sure whether this really took place or not.

Alan

Great minds think alike, and I was about to mention this.

This has interested me ever since it was first reported in the news after the files were declassified. There's all sorts of rumours floating around about preliminary landings by German commandos. There being another one supposedly concerning East Anglia where German commandos were apparently killed landing on a beach by a Home Guard unit which just happened to be in the area and practicing with flamethrowers.

It'd be nice if the truth came out about these, especially the Ventnor rumour.

Warden

One Too Many
The events at Shingle Street, Suffolk are of interest to me. Was it a German raidiing party?

jun2006.jpg

There is also a website on the incident. To access click here

Pip pip

Harry

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Did the Germans really have a nearly-perfected alternative fuel (hydrogen?) vehicle ready to go? And were the un-issued SS "Honor Rings" really blasted into the mountainside to prevent their capture by the Allies?

Biggest mystery: Where exactly did my dad's unit fight?

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Warden said:
The events at Shingle Street, Suffolk are of interest to me. Was it a German raidiing party?

There is also a website on the incident. To access click here

Pip pip

Harry

A good one - just to point out the link between Bawdsey and Ventnor - both were part of TRE and were radar establishments.

Alan

RIOT

Practically Family
The whereabouts of Tsar Peter the Great's Amber Room and other Nazi loot still unaccounted for. Yamashita's gold.

Edward

Bartender
I'd love to know (more) about the understanding reached between the Irish Free State (as then officially was - recognition of the 26 counties as an independent republic wasn't forthcoming from Britain until 1949) and the British. Officially neutral in the war, the Free State managed to ignore a radio in the german embassy for some time - as well as smuggling RAF aircrew shot down over Ireland back up over the border. Apparently this happened on a number of occasions. Most intriguingly, it is said that Churchill told deValera he'd "see what could be done" about Northern Ireland being handed over to Dublin rule following the war in exchange for deV ensuring that Irish neutrality was preserved and no advantage given to Germany. And of course there were many Irish boys from the Free State who joined the British forces and fought in WW2. Bearing in mind the Free State had been a reality for nearly 20 years by 1939, there must have been some interesting politics / issues of identity tied up in there. Not the mystery that some things mentioned above are, but certai nly something that is of interest.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well I know that it is likely that the Germans detonated a dirty nuke in March 1945 near the Ohrdruf concentration camp area of eastern Germany. It is possible that stories which began in 1946 about the Japanese popping a nuke in northern Korea- where any tangible remains of their facilities are still off limits- are true.

But there has been lost a great deal of coraborating evidence regarding disc airfoils experimented with in the last months of WW II by the Germans. At least one disc airfoil using a single jet mounted below at the rear validated the circular wing's ability to lift when it flew. Earlier designs and foreign designs did this though.

I wonder if any of the ducted fan propulsion layouts in discs ever took to the air.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Warden said:
Pip pip

Harry
Harry, this was the same incident I was trying to think of when I first saw the thread. It would be interesting to find out what exactly happened.

Dittos on "Yamashita's Gold"--if only I could find that, even a small percentage would have my PhD's paid for and me set for life, even with some of my more expensive "paper projects" moved over onto the actual build-list...

I'm not greedy, I'd split the supermajority of the find between various charitable organizations (emphasis on WWII causes) and return to the national treasuries it was looted from.

Warden

One Too Many
Originally Posted by KilroyCD

Harry, this was the same incident I was trying to think of when I first saw the thread. It would be interesting to find out what exactly happened

Likewise, I guess we only know when the offical papers get released in 2021.

For something which never 'offically' happened it is strange the papers are still secret. Most war time docuements where only secret for 30 years and have been in the public domain since the 1970s.

There is a book on the subject, click here to read to see the book review on the Amazon website.

Pip pip

Harry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy