Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII US Navy Kersey Wool Ten Button Peacoat

Kubatu

A-List Customer
Hello everyone,

Recently while thrifting, I stumbled upon this naval peacoat. I've tried to date it using the guide on this site. The presence of ten buttons, corduroy pockets, and a "Naval Clothing Factory" tag, leads me to believe this is a WWII era peacoat. Here are some pictures.

VV2BOw8.jpg

mjybtDK.jpg

AhPI26p.jpg

H85VhYh.jpg

c48qEfx.jpg

0kXsSbI.jpg

dUzMjfJ.jpg

GhhOFiT.jpg

wWP0KAM.jpg

1y8lT1c.jpg

H6SFcd7.jpg

bAk7bVQ.jpg

The jacket is in quite good condition for its age. Some things to note, however:
  • There is a fair amount of "fluff" on this jacket, meaning random dust, animal hair, fabrics, and so on. I suspect a good cleaning could get most of this out.
  • The stitching on one armpit is worn. Not horribly, but something that might need to be repaired in the future.
  • There is a lighter spot on the back collar of the jacket. I am not sure if this an old stain, wear on the material, or something else.
  • There is an odd groove pattern on one side of the peacoat. I believe it is due to being folded a particular way, but the wool looks somewhat different as a result.
  • There are two small buttons near the collar, but no piece to attach them.
  • No moth holes, from what I have seen.
  • Large size.
The measurements are somewhat odd. The jacket is essentially square-like, in that it is wide, but not especially long. Rough measurements:

Pit to pit: 25
Shoulder to shoulder: 21
Top of collar to hem: 34
Top of shoulder to sleeve: 25

_________
I have not listed this peacoat on eBay yet, and I wanted to give people here the opportunity to have the first look. I would be happy to provide pictures of my measurements, more detailed images, and any other information if requested.

As for price, I am open to any and all offers. I would like to make a profit, but I got this for a very low price and am more concerned about it going to a place where it will be appreciated.

Any questions, please ask! Thanks for looking!

Peacoat

Bartender
Is your p2p measurement accurate? I ask this because a p2p of 25" would make this a size 48 peacoat. I have only seen a very few vintage peacoats this large and never a WWII coat this large.

Even if this were a size 46, as a WWII it would be extremely rare.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
Is your p2p measurement accurate? I ask this because a p2p of 25" would make this a size 48 peacoat. I have only seen a very few vintage peacoats this large and never a WWII coat this large.

Even if this were a size 46, as a WWII it would be extremely rare.

I think my p2p measurements are accurate. I don't have the peacoat on me at the moment - I dropped it off at a dry cleaners - but when I get it back, I'll upload a picture with a re-measurement of the chest just to be sure. The size is definitely unique. I read in your guide how WWII coats fit very snug / slim, so it's interesting finding a jacket with such a large size. You can still have a slim fit with a large jacket, it's just not what you expect to find from a WWII-era piece.

Also, huge thanks for your peacoat dating guide. Without it, I probably would have just listed this on eBay as a generic navy peacoat!

Kubatu

A-List Customer
@Peacoat

Getting a picture of measurements is surprisingly difficult on one's own! However, I do believe that the measurement is 25 inches. I attached some pictures in the spoiler below. The first picture was taken with the peacoat being unbuttoned, but the second two were taken when it was buttoned.

9uVQHtZ.jpg

4luOX7B.jpg

8eiYm6R.jpg

For anyone else interested, I got the coat back from the dry cleaners today and it looks much better. There is still some pilling going on (primarily on the collar, see picture #1 in this comment), but I think it looks a lot nicer.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
Hi everyone, with cold weather hopefully coming soon, I thought I'd just bump this again. It's still sitting in my closet all wrapped up after being dry cleaned more than half a year ago. How things have changed since March! Feel free to shoot me an offer if you have any interest.

Kunja

Practically Family
Just want to say that this is a really nice coat and pretty much unheard of in this size, as stated above. I bought one a few years back almost exactly like this, same era WW2 to late 1940's, in my size (40) and it is really great for those cold days. I love the corduroy pockets. The quality on these older pea coats is outstanding and the look is really timeless. And the best part about mine is the name stenciled inside, Davis, K.J. .... I'm Davis, K.O.! Anyway, hard to beat these jackets. I'm tempted to buy this one just for the rarity. GLWS!

FQSELVEDGE

New in Town
Hi everyone, with cold weather hopefully coming soon, I thought I'd just bump this again. It's still sitting in my closet all wrapped up after being dry cleaned more than half a year ago. How things have changed since March! Feel free to shoot me an offer if you have any interest.

Hi, Price?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot