Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII US War Correspondent Collection / Impression

p51

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
He's lucky though, he had the choice to leave the battlefield whenever he wanted.
Actually, correspondents were subject to military law and could NOT just walk out when they wanted. They had to have permission from the overall commander in theater to do that.

p51

One Too Many
This week I finally got an original M-41 jacket used by a correspondent (sadly, not named, though). Last night I broke out my camera and other stuff to get this shot. Everything in the photo is original, including the very rare Correspondent TM and the pen is actually marked USAAF…
WarCoOriginalStuff.jpg

p51

One Too Many
I set up a tent display at an airshow over this weekend, It rained most of the time so lots of people came and looked it over, almost all said they had never seen this stuff before. I was interviewed by two newspapers and two TV stations I mostly due to the subject matter of my display:

Presstent.jpg

Oly2010Airshow012.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

You might want to read this:

South Pacific Diary, 1942-1943

# ISBN-10: 0813119693
# ISBN-13: 978-0813119694

Amazon has it used.

This is a decent book about Mack Morris's experiences in the South Pacific before he went to Europe for the invasion. He was a writer for Yank, and was a Sergeant in the US Army.

I picked it up at the library and read it just for fun. Oddly enough, my father often talked about riding a Dutch liner out of San Francisco to New Zealand. He called the ship the "Cheese a donna", but had no clue how it was spelled. He left said he left on November 2, 1942. Mack said he got on the Tjisadane in San Francisco and the boat left on the 2nd of November 1942. Hummmm. So, this book includes the 3 weeks that Dad and Mack Morris spent on the same boat getting sea sick "together".

Mack spent a serious amount of time finding and attempting to find whisky, Dad was mainly into food. Mack was all over the South Pacific for more than a year before leaving for Europe. This covers November 42 through July or August 43.

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Tjisadane/Tjisadane.html

Later

Mike Smith

New in Town
Bill Mauldin's Typewriter

I have a Remington Noiseless Portable No. ND- I 73048, with warranty from the Remington Typewriter Company Ltd, 100 Gracechurch Street, London EC3.
It's complete and in working order, but needs some TLC.

It was my father's, but I understood that previously it had been BILL MAULDIN'S. Certainly a possibility - my father was a good chum of Bill's; I have Mauldin books with Willie/Joe dedications to my father.

I was about to offer this typrwriter on e-bay, then I wondered if it would be of any interest to you guys?

Mike

p51

One Too Many
Mike Smith said:
I have a Remington Noiseless Portable No. ND- I 73048, with warranty from the Remington Typewriter Company Ltd, 100 Gracechurch Street, London EC3.
It's complete and in working order, but needs some TLC.
It was my father's, but I understood that previously it had been BILL MAULDIN'S. Certainly a possibility - my father was a good chum of Bill's; I have Mauldin books with Willie/Joe dedications to my father.
I was about to offer this typrwriter on e-bay, then I wondered if it would be of any interest to you guys?
Mike, it’s going to be pretty tough (if not impossible) to prove Mauldin even saw the typewriter. He worked on many machines over the years and only a couple are documented as being “his”. Most serious collectors wouldn’t bother putting any money into something like that. Now that the stamp is out, a whole new breed of people trying to make money off Mauldin’s name have come out of the woodwork. I’m SO glad I started my Mauldin collection before he passed. I can’t imagine building the collection I have today.

p51

One Too Many
I really need to take some photos of my most recent acquisitions over the last year or so. Here are a few more recent things I’ve gotten my hands on and displays I’ve been part of.

Olympia Flight Museum show, paired with a pal with an amazing camera collection:

OlyPressTentSmall.jpg

OlyFlyInDay1003.jpg

PressTableFtStevens09-1.jpg

Stuff:

NavyCorona.jpg

TheaterMadePatch.jpg

NonCombatantJacket.jpg

WarCoTabPatch.jpg

DispatchesRadiogram.jpg

And a shot I made at Arlington of the Correspondent Memorial:

WarCoMarker.jpg

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Hey P51,

Are you out of the Seattle area? Just curious as I grew up in the northwest and am currently stuck in Cali. for awhile longer. I have the same green Graflex that you and your friend have that I use for long range photography and another military one that I use for regular photography.

I would like to put together a combat photographer impression have any suggestions on the uniform? I am not so much into crawling around in the mud (they don't really have anything like where I live anyway). So I am pretty much into the dress large base environment at airshows/naval ships etc. Then again maybe I will do Army and Navy.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to talk to one Joe Stilwell's personal photographers who told me he went AWOL to join Merrill's Marauders.

Mike

p51

One Too Many
Hey P51,

Are you out of the Seattle area? Just curious as I grew up in the northwest and am currently stuck in Cali. for awhile longer. I have the same green Graflex that you and your friend have that I use for long range photography and another military one that I use for regular photography.

I would like to put together a combat photographer impression have any suggestions on the uniform? I am not so much into crawling around in the mud (they don't really have anything like where I live anyway). So I am pretty much into the dress large base environment at airshows/naval ships etc. Then again maybe I will do Army and Navy.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to talk to one Joe Stilwell's personal photographers who told me he went AWOL to join Merrill's Marauders.

Mike
Sorry, it's been a while since I've been here.
Yeah, I live between Seattle and Portland. Myself and a local camera collector are looking to set up a massive correspondent display for the MVPA convention in 2013...

botty

Familiar Face
Hopefully the other side wont cause too much of a problem. Here is me:

Propagandakompanie in action at the Victory show

The Wehrmacht Propagandakompanie troops work tirelessly to bring images of the fighting troops to the home front.

Whether it is working from the rear areas of the line,

pkreporter1.jpg

By botty1 at 2011-09-05

or from the tip of the Panzergrenadier assault the Kriegsberichter ensures that the images he captures reflect the armed forces in the field.

halftrack1.jpg

By botty1 at 2011-09-05

From relaxing in the rest areas,

dave1z.jpg

By botty1 at 2011-09-05

tankcrew1.jpg

By botty1 at 2011-09-05

In the line during quiet periods,

gdrecon1.jpg

By botty1 at 2011-09-05

the heat of an armoured attack,

pak361.jpg

By botty1 at 2011-09-05

pak401d.jpg

By botty1 at 2011-09-05

and the aftermath of battle,

fire1.jpg

By botty1 at 2011-09-05

the report will be filed.

However the Kriegsberichter is always in danger. Injury or capture is a real threat.

capture1vi.jpg

By botty1 at 2011-09-05

captureback1.jpg

By botty1 at 2011-09-05

PK Kriegsberichter Brandt

Last edited:

p51

One Too Many
Myself and a local camera collector are looking to set up a massive correspondent display for the MVPA convention in 2013...
I just got confirmation the other day that we have a display space at the MVPA Convention this year for the War Correspondent/Photographer display myself and another collector have been plotting on for over a year now! I don't think this has ever bene done before anywhere. The display spot is sort of small (only 10X20 feet) so while we might run out of room, we sure won't run out of stuff to show off!

MVPAdisplayWeb_zps35aeb435.jpg

rjb1

Practically Family
Congratulations! As a (reenacted) Signal Corps cameraman myself, be ready to talk until your face almost falls off. I'm too lazy to set up a major-scale display like you're talking about, but just carrying a few old cameras (Speed Graphic, Leica, Contax) at public battles and historical displays causes a lot of interest and conversation. Everyone who has a camera now, or has ever had a camera, will want to hear about how the old ones worked. They are amazed that there is no auto anything and that the person has to decide and set everything.

I wish you weren't so far away - I'd really like to see the display myself. Be sure to put some good coverage here when it happens.

(There were a couple of guys in the midwest who had a similar large-scale display, as the 165th Signal Photo Company, but I haven't seen them in several years. (last time at Ft. Knox, KY))

Svenn Ivar Bjorkavaag

New in Town
Hi
My name is SvennIvarBjørkavåg and im from Norway
Im restoring a willys jeep mod1944 and i want to have the same marking on it like the marking ww2 correspondent and ww2 phothografers would have .
Do you now and can you help me

Regard

Svenn Ivar BJørkavåg

Svenn Ivar Bjorkavaag

New in Town
Hi
My name is Svenn Ivar Bjørkavåg im from Norway,
Im restoring a ww2 jepp and i would mark it asame as the ww2 corespondent and cameramenn .
But idont now how
Do you now and can you help me

Svenn Ivar Bjørkavåg

rjb1

Practically Family
Those are the guys (Mike Koenig and Scotty McCutcheon) that I mentioned above who have the large-scale Signal Corps and photographic display similar to what Lee (P51) has planned for the MVPA event. They are more on the Army Signal Corps side rather than civilian War Correspondents, but a lot of the equipment is the same.
I met them at the Ft. Knox KY event(s) pictured at their website. They are very nice folks and will help any way they can. Unless they have added one recently they don't have a jeep themselves but probably have some photos of original WWII equipment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto