Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Y’2 Leather Fit did I miss the mark?

HeavyHand39

New in Town
I'd not have gone bigger. The stiff leather will break in as you're aware. Drastic improvement in mobility may not happen as the pattern is what it is. Does it fit you? Yes. The pain you're experiencing sounds unpleasant though. Could it be a rough/jagged seam digging in?
Thank you! I’m hoping that’s what it is, it’s not the end of the world pain, just enough to notice it.

mrfoxhunter

Familiar Face
Thank you! I’m hoping that’s what it is, it’s not the end of the world pain, just enough to notice it.
If you are indeed keeping the jacket, might be something wetting then "working" the leather may help. Good luck with it. In the future if you want a slim fit with mobility, try some brands that make riding gear. As another poster above said, that's your best bet with mobility in mind though sacrifices in street style may have to be made. But sometimes it takes trying on a ton of stuff unless you're going full custom, but even then some patterns may suit you better than others.

HeavyHand39

New in Town
Welcome! And an excellent first picture rich post!

I think that’s a very good fit. Certainly you shouldn’t go bigger. Being hyper critical, it’s maybe a tad long in the body, especially as this style is a boxy cut best worn rather short. But overall, as most have already said, it’s a great off the peg fit you should be pleased with.

As to comfort, wear it as much as you can - break in will help somewhat.

But imo comfort will ultimately depend most on the pattern (which obviously won’t change unless you buy a different brand/design of jacket) and the qualities of the leather used (Ditto).

Motorbike jacket makers seem to do a better job on patterns when it comes to one’s giving good unrestrctive movement despite the tough leathers they typically use. Fashion/street wear makers maybe less so, though perhaps they look more stylish when you’re stood still with your arms down! Depends what you prioritise... personally I’m a form follows function kind of guy not vice versa,, but then I ride…

On leather, horsehide is often the most unforgiving (depending on exact type/weight/tannage). Sure, some can be soft and easy wearing (eg my HH Pegasus) but some are very stiff and waxy (my HH Vanson Ike jacket can still stand up on its own after 20 years and plenty of regular wear).

As it’s your first HH jacket there may be an adjustment period as you adjust to it (not the other way around!). One reason why the cult of HH is not without its issues…. Albeit the leathers are often so beautiful we forgive it. Stiff waxy pull up type ones will soften from body heat as you wear it, but will start off stiff whenever you first put it on. So just never take it off and you’re fine ;)

enjoy!I
Welcome! And an excellent first picture rich post!

I think that’s a very good fit. Certainly you shouldn’t go bigger. Being hyper critical, it’s maybe a tad long in the body, especially as this style is a boxy cut best worn rather short. But overall, as most have already said, it’s a great off the peg fit you should be pleased with.

As to comfort, wear it as much as you can - break in will help somewhat.

But imo comfort will ultimately depend most on the pattern (which obviously won’t change unless you buy a different brand/design of jacket) and the qualities of the leather used (Ditto).

Motorbike jacket makers seem to do a better job on patterns when it comes to one’s giving good unrestrctive movement despite the tough leathers they typically use. Fashion/street wear makers maybe less so, though perhaps they look more stylish when you’re stood still with your arms down! Depends what you prioritise... personally I’m a form follows function kind of guy not vice versa,, but then I ride…

On leather, horsehide is often the most unforgiving (depending on exact type/weight/tannage). Sure, some can be soft and easy wearing (eg my HH Pegasus) but some are very stiff and waxy (my HH Vanson Ike jacket can still stand up on its own after 20 years and plenty of regular wear).

As it’s your first HH jacket there may be an adjustment period as you adjust to it (not the other way around!). One reason why the cult of HH is not without its issues…. Albeit the leathers are often so beautiful we forgive it. Stiff waxy pull up type ones will soften from body heat as you wear it, but will start off stiff whenever you first put it on. So just never take it off and you’re fine ;)

enjoy!
I will say out of all the ones I’ve owned in the past, this FQHH is one that’s gonna make me work for it. I will say that most of my jackets are more so on the fashion side, as I don’t ride. That’s amazing you have a leather jacket for 20 years. I can only hope that I will also have one as long, especially this one that’s new in my rotation. Thank you for the info!

Peacoat

Bartender
The armholes look to be small and exceedingly uncomfortable. I would expect them to hurt you.

What you might try is to stand in an open doorway with your hands on each side of the doorway at shoulder level and your legs behind your body. Lean into the doorway giving as much stretch in the shoulder area as you can. That might loosen the pits some. I did this with an Aero Highwayman that had a tight chest, and eventually it stretched the chest enough that it was wearable. Don't know how it would affect the pits, though.

In your initial post I noticed you gave the chest measurement of the jacket as 40.5". As it is difficult to obtain an accurate measurement around the circumference of the jacket, the best practice is to give the p2p measurement across the front of the jacket while lying on a flat surface.

The chest measurement of the person is always given as the circumference of the chest., either bare or wearing a T-shirt. It is never given as p2p measurement.

If we follow these rules, many of the measuring errors are eliminated.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Glad to hear it loosened up! I did some ridiculous stretching movements, some I would never use in a real world situation. That ended up bruising on my biceps, so now I know I won’t be doing that again. I’m gonna continue to wear it around. Thanks!

Be careful with crazy stretches, i have seen more than one case of broken seams because people put too much tension on a jacket.
A leather jacket is sturdy but it is still a stitched garment, everything has a failure point.

sshack

A-List Customer
How's the fit on this now? In my experience, you're not going to get much more "breathing room" with HH, despite breaking it in. Jacket looks good on you, but it may just have to come at the expense of comfort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ