Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet Another Board Racer Review

Solo

Familiar Face
A few posts down, I wrote my first post seeking input on my fit jacket from Thurston Bros. My original plan was to place an order after trying a fit jacket, but after receiving feedback from the members, I decided to keep the fit jacket.

I had a wonderful vintage Brooks Cafe Racer in size 40, but it was just a little too big everywhere for me, and wanted a jacket that would hug my body without feeling too constricted. I started with size 34 based on the measurements on the TB site, but that turned out to be way too small. Carrie quickly suggested 36 as the correct fit and encouraged me to try another fit jacket in stock before making the plunge. I was also dead set on getting black, but thought it would be a good idea to try another color. Initially, the jacket felt a little tight in the armpit and the sleeve an inch too long, but after a day of wearing with the zippers closed, the sleeves already creased to a perfect length.

Vicenza leather in dark seal is a true beauty and pretty much obliterated my desire for a black one. It has special character with subtle grain reflecting light differently depending on the situation, and has really won me over. The armpit is still slightly snug, but I am noticing that it fits a lot more comfortably than when I first tried it. High armhole design along with trim shoulder and waist make this design unsuitable for guys with big muscular chest and big tri/biceps. I have 8" drop (38C/30W) and it really hugs the body. I could have gone 38 instead, but, 36 seems the right fit for this style as several members and Carrie @ Thurston pointed out.

I also want to highlight how pleasant it was to work with Thurston Bros. Carrie was very patient through and through and acted more as a personal stylist than a sales rep. She really worked hard to make sure that I'd be a satisfied customer. It's a very unique business model and I will be another loyal customer in the future.

I am attaching a few better photos that highlight the details of the jacket. Hope this will help someone going through a similar experience.

Cheers!

Attachments

• BR-1.jpg
    BR-1.jpg
    656.8 KB · Views: 1,334
  • BR-2.jpg
    BR-2.jpg
    592.1 KB · Views: 1,304
  • BR-3.jpg
    BR-3.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 1,358
  • BR-4.jpg
    BR-4.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 1,209
Last edited:

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Bravo, that looks great! Carrie has a special talent for fitting jackets. She put me into a dark seal Vicenza HBD last year right off the rack that has been wonderful. I think you will find that this jacket will fit and feel better and better with wear.
Good one!
Peace.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
A few posts down, I wrote my first post seeking input on my fit jacket from Thurston Bros. My original plan was to place an order after trying a fit jacket, but after receiving feedback from the members, I decided to keep the fit jacket.

I had a wonderful vintage Brooks Cafe Racer in size 40, but it was just a little too big everywhere for me, and wanted a jacket that would hug my body without feeling too constricted. I started with size 34 based on the measurements on the TB site, but that turned out to be way too small. Carrie quickly suggested 36 as the correct fit and encouraged me to try another fit jacket in stock before making the plunge. I was also dead set on getting black, but thought it would be a good idea to try another color. Initially, the jacket felt a little tight in the armpit and the sleeve an inch too long, but after a day of wearing with the zippers closed, the sleeves already creased to a perfect length.

Vicenza leather in dark seal is a true beauty and pretty much obliterated my desire for a black one. It has special character with subtle grain reflecting light differently depending on the situation, and has really won me over. The armpit is still slightly snug, but I am noticing that it fits a lot more comfortably than when I first tried it. High armhole design along with trim shoulder and waist make this design unsuitable for guys with big muscular chest and big tri/biceps. I have 7" drop (38C/30W) and it really hugs the body. I could have gone 38 instead, but, 36 seems the right fit for this style as several members and Carrie @ Thurston pointed out.

I also want to highlight how pleasant it was to work with Thurston Bros. Carrie was very patient through and through and acted more as a personal stylist than a sales rep. She really worked hard to make sure that I'd be a satisfied customer. It's a very unique business model and I will be another loyal customer in the future.

I am attaching a few better photos that highlight the details of the jacket. Hope this will help someone going through a similar experience.

Cheers!
Nice review. That’s a fine jacket! The arms already look like a million bucks!!
Look forward to seeing it age.
B

dan_t

Practically Family
Just love it!
That Vicenza looks much thicker than most pics. It looks really nice.
I’ve also got a dark seal Vicenza jacket & im sure you’ll just love it from the outset. The colour is really versatile.

I don't think going custom would've improved the fit. It's literally perfect. I'll second dan's comment about the hide. That looks Devine! Well done, looks like you're more than ready for the Kessel run.

willyto

One Too Many
I don't think going custom would've improved the fit. It's literally perfect. I'll second dan's comment about the hide. That looks Devine! Well done, looks like you're more than ready for the Kessel run.
I think that experiences here in the forum has taught us that if the jacket fits (Even if it is indeed the fit jacket) there's zero sense in going custom and risking and worse fit.

Solo

Familiar Face
Just love it!
That Vicenza looks much thicker than most pics. It looks really nice.
I’ve also got a dark seal Vicenza jacket & im sure you’ll just love it from the outset. The colour is really versatile.

It's actually very light and really supple. I've looked at shinki from RMC and other well-known brands, but the Vicenza that Aero uses is really special. The grain on this jacket is hard to capture on camera. I think it's going to age really well and will be perfect for warmer weather. The jacket has really molded to the body over the last few days and requires literally no break in.

Solo

Familiar Face
I think that experiences here in the forum has taught us that if the jacket fits (Even if it is indeed the fit jacket) there's zero sense in going custom and risking and worse fit.

I agree. When a fit jacket fits so perfectly, no need to take a risk in going custom. Having that option through Thurston Bros is really golden.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot