Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You can have Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.'s clothes

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I couldn't afford to join the auctions. But I ask myself why they sell "Collections of clothing" mixed from different eras?

1) Only FL vintage geeks care from which era a garment is.
2) They want to get rid of the seventies stuff too and use the earlier stuff as a bait
3) Style is timeless

PS: His style in the golden era was flawless. I agree.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sadly, or rather thankfully, nothing really wowed me. A few pieces of furniture caught my eye but that's about it. Me thinks the family (three daughters) grabbed the good stuff. However, I did get the inspiration to commission a pair of leather cufflinks from my favorite leather goods maker. I'm not sure if I'll have them monogramed.

823804.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
... and the collective yawn from Fedora Lounge members is deafening.

This is Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., folks. Most of his wardrobe is the 'holy grail' of Golden Era --and Golden Era-style--menswear. Sartorially speaking, this man was America's answer to the Duke of Windsor (and nearly as Anglophile).

Why can we hear the crickets chirping?

Ahhh hulllooo? Who put these up like weeks ago http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?17049-Spectator-Shoes/page88

Last edited:

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I've had fun going through many of the items. That peak lapeled covert coat was very nice.

If Douglas had only been my size I'd be bidding...

Boodles

A-List Customer
If Douglas had only been my size I'd be bidding...

Same for me. Alas, I'm too short and too thick to stuff myself into Mr. Fairbanks clothing. That red leather chair, on the other hand...I guess it would be cost prohibitive to have the auction house crate and ship it, not that I'd have the chance of the proverbial snow ball of winning the chair.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. has been dead for more than 11 years. Frankly, I'm surprised that his heirs held on to so much of his clothing for as long as they did.
Well, the DoW's stuff hung around for a lot longer due to Wallis outliving him and the creepy Al-Fayed..... and BTW, what happened to all of Cary Grant's stuff? I don't recall an estate auction. I vaguely remember reading that he was a pack rat and kept his old clothes in storage rather than give them away. Jennifer Grant (sole heir) may be sitting on a very valuable sartorial collection.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
OK . . . I just finished perusing the whole catalog. Several things jumped out at me. First, clearly our sartorial paragon was NOT above using a pre-tied bow tie with formal wear. Second, he also wore a clip at the neck whitewaistcoat and shirt with attached wing collar with white tie ensemble. Third, he had several 60's style dinner jackets made in different snazzy colored velvets. So much for hide bound traditionalism.
There are a couple of pieces of art work there that I would no mind owning, such as his early Aubrey Beardsley style drawings.
Very interesting indeed.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I rarely visit this section of the forum, so had not seen this thread until today. Very interesting and so many lovely items! I would love to have had some of the accessory items, such as the lighters and furniture pieces.

How interesting that so much of his wardrobe remained after all these years.

Gene

Practically Family
$77 for those cowboy boots??? That's it??? That's cheaper than what I paid for my vintage boots, and they were hardly Douglas freakin' Fairbanks Jr.'s!! Ugh I can't forgive myself now, I'm going to go wallow awhile.

And they were MY SIZE.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy