Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You Guys Were So Great w/ Help on My Dali Tie...Now a Scarf, 1950..Help?

Hi! A while back I had a Dali tie and couldn't find the source of the sketches depicted and I was able to get lots of fantastic help here. I come again with another Dali item! Not quite the same vein as the ties, but still pretty cool.

I tried to research this International Silk Congress event in 1950 and found George C Marshall created or commissioned a film of the Silk Congress which was used as part of the roster of films promoting the Marshall Plan. http://www.marshallfilms.org/filminfo.asp?id=WOS-1

The write up mentions a fashion show which I'll bet was fabulous.....anyway, anyone have thoughts on how to find out how Dali was involved? Any other input, suggestions on how to research more, etc, would be great.

While we're at it, what do you guys see? Mothlady represents, what....the couture/fashion end of silk as a product? The center item...an egg? And do you think I am correct in seeing this as custom done for the event?

100_8472.jpg

100_8473.jpg

100_8474.jpg

100_8477.jpg

I'd love any input you guys can give, I cant find anything like this online at all. Thanks!!! Ang

ShortClara

One Too Many
Dorothea, I can't even hazard a guess about the scarf, but I was just on the vintie board drooling on it there :) it's marvelous!! You must feature that baby!

Hmmm. I'm not sure I have the stones to auction it! I may even sit it on the site once I have a handle on what to expect of it. I just don't even know right now what to think about it! I'm at least going to do some decent research on it before making any decision.

Thanks for answering me, I really appreciate it! Ang

ShortClara

One Too Many
I did find a site that briefly mentions the film from 1950

http://www.marshallfilms.org/filminfo.asp?id=WOS-1

Description: Sound (English), b&w, 14 min. 16mm, 1R, 600'. Describes the vital impact of U.S. Economic Cooperation Administration support on the silk industries of fifteen nations represented at the International Silk Congress held in New York in 1950. Illustrates processing of silk from cocoon to couturier. Includes a fashion show at the Waldorf Astoria of the latest styles in silk. Commentators: Sidney Walton, J. Shea. Made by News of the Day. Produced by the International Silk Association in cooperation with the U.S. Economic Cooperation Administration (ECA). NB: Further research would be needed regarding rights issues.

If you can find this film, you might be able to see the scarf in action in the fashion show.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Cool. :) Never seen one like it before. It is typical Dalinian imagery, like this,( From the book "The 50 Secrets of Master Craftsmanship") ....
Dali-1.jpg
[/IMG] probably specially commissioned for the event. Might be quite rare. :eusa_clap

Thanks! I will email them. Googling only turned up that link above, and I've YouTubed every angle I can come up with to see that film, no dice.

I'll email them and if its interesting enough I'll let you guys know. I've had this scarf on a scarf rack here in my shop since February and had somehow missed that signature! So I can hold onto it a while longer to do proper research!

Thanks guys! Ang

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy