Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My friend is a cinematographer. He worked on episodes of Real Housewives. Staggering the amount of film they need to shoot to capture a few minutes of actual usable screen time.

I did interviews with Jake La Motta in the ‘80s.
Much was left out from airing because (no pun intended) he didn’t hold back on the punches with regards to the language. :)
lamotta5-master675.jpg

LaMotta with his wife, Vikki, arriving at Penn Station in New York from Detroit, where he had defeated Marcel Cerdan to capture the world middleweight title in June 1949

Off and on, for years, when I was trading various capital market products, the financial firms I worked for either wanted me to be quoted in the press for the "soft" promotion or forbid anyone from talking to the press (which by the '00s was pretty much the rule). FYI, the media is always looking for quotes so this is not a reflection of any great achievement on my part - if you were a trader at a name firm (and there are a lot of them), the press will want to talk with you.

Thus, for years (again, off and on), I spoke with financial reporters at the WSJ and, occasionally, the NYT or Bloomberg and found all three to be very professional and fair. They were very careful to get my comments correct and I never saw them meaningfully misrepresented or twisted - at most, they might be put in a context that felt a touch off, but that might just have been me being nitpicky.

The only "pressure" I got was they would try to get me to comment in more depth or commit further to a point of view, but it was always in a direction that my initial comment pointed and it was never unfair in my opinion as they were just doing their job - get a better quote, a stronger opinion, etc. and, as noted, never exaggerated my comments (to any significance, anyway), etc.

Away from that, the only "reality" shows we've ever watched have been on The History Channel - "Pawn Stars," "American Pickers" and "American Restoration -" as the non-reality stuff - the items they bought, found, restored - was usually interesting. But the "reality" stuff - the fake family drama, the fake deadlines or made-up risks to the business - was simply annoying and a turnoff.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Very cool. Who else did you have the opportunity to interview?

The ones that I enjoyed; Selena, David Robinson (Spurs), Jerry Lewis, Bob Hope.
Carlos Santana, President Bush Sr, Donald Trump and Jane Fonda.
The ones that I was very surprised when I met them was a Lt. in the mafia
from New York and members of the Hells Angels in 1969.
The first did not look or speak like movie mafia.
The Hells Angels were old, balding and fat.
I always thought of them as young Brando’s.
These are reflections on my part from long ago.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Impressive! You're living an interesting life.

I owe it mostly to my job working with
cameras in television.
Although earlier in my life, I lived in
Los Angeles and for a short period,
I worked basically as a butler in Beverly
Hills while going to college after I got
out of the military.
Of the actors I came to meet.
Without a doubt, James Garner was the
nicest, friendliest, non-conceited person I have ever known.

If I appear to be sacchrine sweet about
life or always looking on the bright
side of things is probably due to the
fact that I was able to have survived the
Vietnam conflict, sometimes from dumb luck where other young men were not as fortunate.
Landing in LA after my tour of duty,
I cried. I was home again.
Anything negative that came my way was
nothing compared to what I had experienced over there.
I thank God that my health is holding up.

Last edited:

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
cameras in television.
out of the military.
nicest, most friendly, non-conceited person I have ever known.

Vietnam conflict, sometimes from dumb luck where other young men were not as fortunate.
Don't apologize for looking for the bright side. I commend you for embracing the good things in life. :) My brother in law served in Vietnam and he was very greatfull to get home. He also appreciates the "little things". I do as well. I've never served in the Armed Forces so thanks for your service and welcome home.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Don't apologize for looking for the bright side. I commend you for embracing the good things in life. :) My brother in law served in Vietnam and he was very greatfull to get home. He also appreciates the "little things". I do as well. I've never served in the Armed Forces so thanks for your service and welcome home.

I rarely talk to people about being over there.
The most has been here on the forum.

Like the line from the old indian chief in
"Little Big Man"....
'My heart soars like an eagle'.

Thank You for your kind words. :)

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
cameras in television.
out of the military.
nicest, friendliest, non-conceited person I have ever known.

........and James Garner has always been a favorite of mine. The Rockford Files is still one of my favorite shows. I'm still watching it in reruns. His Support your Local Sheriff and Support your Local Gunfighter are two movies I watch over and over. Very funny and Garner is his usual charming self.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
........and James Garner has always been a favorite of mine. The Rockford Files is still one of my favorite shows. I'm still watching it in reruns. His Support your Local Sheriff and Support your Local Gunfighter are two movies I watch over and over. Very funny and Garner is his usual charming self.

The Great Escape
Steve McQueen was cool... but if I had my "druthers"....
8CD1E0C0-C272-4FA0-A1F4-0D665C1B5D95.jpeg

I would prefer James Garner who would've offered to help you if you were blind like the character in this film.

Last edited:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
another photo of Christie Brinkley who is 63 y/o ....nothing wrong with that.....many 20 years old would do anything to look like that....but then it's all in the genes ...hehehehe ....sorry....that's how it is! :D

ok....I made my point....I'm out of here now lol

Hey, if she pulled up alongside me while I was driving to Walley World today, I'd still have trouble keeping my eyes on the road.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
The Great Escape
Steve McQueen was cool... but if I had my "druthers".... View attachment 110778
I would prefer James Garner who would've offered to help you if you were blind like the characters in this film.
One thing I remember about Garner was his presence on the sideline of Oklahoma football games in the 70's and maybe 80's. He was a down home Oklahoma guy. I'm a Nebraskan so I remember those great NU vs OU games in that era. JG was always there.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
another photo of Christie Brinkley who is 63 y/o ....nothing wrong with that.....many 20 years old would do anything to look like that....but then it's all in the genes ...hehehehe ....sorry....that's how it is! :D

ok....I made my point....I'm out of here now lol

I think she has discovered the Fountain Of Youth, and isn't telling us. :) She has always looked great and still does obviously. :)

HadleyH1

One Too Many
wow the site was out for so long....let's try again

Talking about Sophia.....this ad is from one or two years ago.....and she looks great!

"The Oscar-winning Italian actress stars in a video by the Sicilian fashion house to mark the launch of its new fragrance 'Dolce Rosa Excelsa'.

Loren is one of three Oscar winners brought in by Dolce & Gabbana to work on the project, which was directed by Giuseppe Tornatore and features a soundtrack composed by Ennio Morricone."

I know what perfume I will be trying next time I go to the Mall! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner