You know you are getting old when:

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by GHT, Apr 18, 2014.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy Call Me a Cab

For the past 5 years my wife and I have been travelling the western states. We avoid cities but do stop into smaller towns to provision and explore. It has been heartening to see so many small to mid sized towns still have good used book stores. They are not hip or ironic or kitschy just a decent store stocked with old books at good prices. Often they will have a section devoted to local history. Las Cruces NW for instance has an enormous used book store that looks prosperous. We always go in and stock up on inexpensive reading material.

V.C. Brunswick and Zombie_61 like this.
  2. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

Anyone here ever been to Larry McMurtry’s bookstore(s) in Archer City, Texas?

Last I looked, he’s open three days a week, for all of four hours each of those three days.

A person can’t help but think that if it weren’t that McMurtry is pretty well set financially, and it it weren't that shop space in Archer City can be had for lunch money, McMurtry wouldn’t be so well positioned to indulge his bibliophilia.

I was within 25 miles or so summer before last, on our way to and from Fort Worth. But I didn’t take the detour. I kind of regret that, seeing how I’m something of a fan of McMurtry’s work, and what I’ve read of the little book town has piqued my curiosity. I can’t imagine there’s anything else quite like it anywhere.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  3. Like many young people I had a skateboard and while I was no Tony Hawk I would use it to get around when I was a kid. You know you're getting old when you discover that you've completely forgotten how to ride a skateboard!!!!

tonyb likes this.
  4. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

The only skateboard that I had, and this was as a child in pre-skateboard days, was a sizeable book, a roller skate, the strap onto your shoes type, the ones with steel wheels. Place book on skate, sit on book at the top of a steep hill, cast off. How we never came to serious injury heaven only knows.

I've joked about amnesia and the ageing process, but today I must be the best candidate for idiot of the month. On-line banking, what's that? I took my credit card statement, drove to the town where I bank, queued in line for nearly 30 minutes, because there's only one cashier working, a cynical way of getting you to bank online. Finally get to the front of the queue, present my statement for payment, still in the envelope, only it was my company pension statement, I had left the credit card statement at home. There's never a hole to swallow you up when you desperately need one.

5. M Brown

M Brown New in Town

when....no matter what position you try your sciatica won't stop.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  6. Retired EE

Retired EE New in Town

As to another bookstore that's become something of an attraction.... if you're driving thru Quartzsite, Arizona you might stop in at "Reader's Oasis Books," which is a regular, general interest bookstore-- or so it seemed. I've personally seen the attraction, live and in the flesh. I hesitate to post a photo of what I'm talking about here. But Google the bookstore name, and you can see the images. :eek: Some of my colleagues couldn't believe what they were seeing.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Zombie_61 likes this.
  7. Retired EE

Retired EE New in Town

Feldman's Bookstore in Menlo Park, CA had the interior vibe you've described above (which I think it still has, according to online reviews). Many years ago I'd stop by the bookstore when I was visiting Menlo Park. On one visit, in late October, I wondered if they had a copy of Bram Stoker's "Dracula". They did... an old copy published in the early 1940's. It was a good Halloween read on the flight back to the east coast. They had a fascinating collection of old books and printed materials.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  8. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Had to Google it. LOL. Am assuming it’s a remnant of the era when some hippies realized they were losing the culture war and retreated into the desert. I love the desert Southwest. And part of the draw are those quirky rugged individualists.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  9. Retired EE

Retired EE New in Town

I love the desert Southwest, too. Quartzsite is a neat little town, particularly in the high summer (temperatures of 45C/113F) when few people are there. The town has a number of fossil/gem/meteorite-oriented shops that are fascinating. I prefer the landscape of New Mexico, however. I had a visually memorable drive from Socorro, thru Magdalena, to the Very Large Array (VLA) one summer-- very beautiful. At the VLA, you can see on the horizon what used to be the shoreline of an ancient inland sea. An experience that set me to contrasting an ancient landscape with modern radio telescopes observing deep space.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    tonyb and Zombie_61 like this.
  10. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

If there ever were an advantage to never having been particularly athletic, it would be living with few regrets for the loss of my athleticism.

Which is not to say I haven’t experienced a clearly notable drop-off in my physical abilities. I can still lift relatively heavy weights, for instance, but don’t ask me to do it twice in rapid succession. My stamina is pretty well shot. Mowing my more or less average sized suburban lawn (gas-powered walk-behind mower, not self-propelled) is about all the exercise I wish without a respite.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  11. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

That may be so Tony, but is your exertion really that warm?
    mowing grass in thong.jpg

Zombie_61 and Trenchfriend like this.
  12. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

^^^^
    Uncanny likeness, right down the color of the, um, pants?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Zombie_61 likes this.
  13. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

You know that you're getting old when you're the only one that knows how to drive a manual gearstick shift.
    When your secrets are safe with your friends because they can't remember them either.
    When you quit trying to hold your stomach in, no matter who walks into the room.
    When you have too much room in the house and not enough room in the medicine cabinet.
    When you have more dead friends then live ones and your childhood toys are worth thousands.
    You ask a grandchild or a neighbour's kid to open your childproof caps.
    You're falling apart but going to the doctor is too much hassle.
    Instead of looking for things to do, you look for ways not to do things.
    You can't find your way around because signs have pictures instead of English, and in my case, satnavs are all in a foreign language, probably gibberish.

Robieman, tonyb, BobHufford and 2 others like this.
  14. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

When condoms finally become "vegan".

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

When you feel really well on travelling in an modernized, old "m-waggon" in the Intercity from Deutsche Bahn. These waggons are up to 65 years old!

Yeah, 90s! :D

16. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean Call Me a Cab

I think the ladies will always prefer a little meat in theirs.

Zombie_61 and Trenchfriend like this.
  17. belfastboy

belfastboy Call Me a Cab

I missed a day long seminar on Aging and Resiliency as I got my Tuesdays and Wednesdays mixed. My wife and I were all dressed ready for our drive downtown to the venue. I checked the email to make sure I knew the address and room number and discovered the seminar was on Tuesday and this was in fact Wednesday. I apologized profusely to my wife and there we were ....all dressed up and nowhere to go.

vitanola, Zombie_61 and tonyb like this.
  18. KILO NOVEMBER

KILO NOVEMBER Practically Family

Someone, please, tell me what that town is so that I can put it on my list of places never to go.

vitanola and Zombie_61 like this.
  19. M Brown

M Brown New in Town

when...wait, what was the question?

20. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I don't remember, but the answer is "42".

vitanola and Saabo like this.