You know you are getting old when:

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by GHT, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

In the 90s and early 2000s, we teens listened to usual popmusic radio and sometimes middle-aged said: "Stop that howling!"

Now beeing 35, I think the same, when the autotune-crap of the last 15 years sounds. THAT'S howling! :D

Rmccamey and Bushman like this.
  2. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I'm certain that at some point in the history of mankind a parent somewhere on this planet raged, "Ugh! These children and their waltzes!"

Rmccamey, Trenchfriend and tonyb like this.
  3. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

You bunch of rattle-brained hepcats.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  4. Trenchfriend

When your granduncles and -aunts get smaller and smaller...

5. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Oh yes.................

live.png

Rmccamey and Zombie_61 like this.
  6. Edward

Edward Bartender

Been like that since my mid twenties. I dropped out of the mainstream by conscious choice at the age of fourteen, but with the coming of the internet in my early 20s and the resultant fragmentation of media, I have become completely detached from mainstream popular culture. The last number one I can actually name with any confidence is from Christmas 2009.... and before that, probably August 1995.

Temptation over there, then - Norton have gone bust, finally.

Sadly, we'll never know when he becomes too old to be rock and roll, because he killed any hint of rock and roll credibility he had left stone dead by accepting a knighthood back when.

I loved camping when I was younger, but... The biggest killer with camping - apart from how miserable it can get in the wet - is the hassle. For two people to sleep comfortable, you need to buy a tent designed for at least four, with room to stand up, then there's all the equipment - it's just not practical for those of us who don't drive. Not to mention if you're going somewhere where you care what you look like, it's a bit of a nightmare. Take good stuff and risk it being destroyed or stolen from a tent? Be unhappy with your look for several days? Eh.

It's made it over here about a decade or so ago. Glamping is just like regular camping, except somebody else puts up your tent, and then they charge you twice the price of a decent hotel room.

Plato is on record as having given off about young people and their dramatic poets.

Rmccamey and Zombie_61 like this.
  7. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

You'll find a great many commentators in the 1930s going on at length in the pages of Scribners or the Hearst newspapers about such theories as how swing music is "deviously designed to beat at a higher rate than the human pulse," and therefore is some sort of Jewish-Soviet plot to debase wholesome Anglo-Saxon youth. "Note that at dances given by the Young Communist League, 'swing' is invariably featured."

Rmccamey and Edward like this.
  8. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^
    There’s at least one hiding under every bed.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  9. TikiOneTwo

TikiOneTwo New in Town

So, with time the tent just gets thicker to prevent the wetness, though it gets heavier... For this, I would recommend a decent sleeping bag maybe like one of these. this should definitely help you from getting wet and cold at night.
    There is a variety of equipment which people take on camping nowadays, which is lightweight, cookware, for example.
    As for the glamping that was nice to know about this term.

Edward likes this.
  10. Edward

Edward Bartender

Yes,sadly the killer for us is just not driving - the amount of stuff we'd still need to carry is offputting. Maybe one day, though - in the right weather, camping can be a joy.

11. Edward

Edward Bartender

A variation on the Blue Note theory that was popular among fundamentalists who also dabbled in white supremacism, I believe.

LizzieMaine and Rmccamey like this.
  12. Trenchfriend

Lance Henriksen/"Bishop" is getting 80, soon. Jeeeesus! o_O

Edward likes this.
  13. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

When television becomes the best soporific there is.

Edward and Trenchfriend like this.
  14. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

An old girlfriend (a real heartbreaker, that one) was an avid outdoorswoman — not huntin’ and fishing’, but hiking and camping in the wilderness. She’d have us take the car to the very end of the unimproved roads and then set out on foot from there, up the mountainsides or along the creeks or whatever it was that unspoiled nature had to offer.

As it turns out, you can indeed camp more or less comfortably in the snow, on a mountain, in the dead of winter, provided you have the right equipment. I can’t say her enthusiasm for such activities rubbed off on me, but I can’t say I wouldn’t do it again, either. I acknowledge there’s something to be said for it.

Edward likes this.
  15. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

In our RV travels over the past few years we have come across folks restoring old Airstream travel trailers. Pretty much gut jobs but damn they do look nice when done.

Rmccamey and tonyb like this.
  16. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

My wife and I have been life long campers/tenters. My idea of an upgrade was to buy a tent that attached to the rear hatch of our SUV. It got us up off the ground and we were dry in even the most inclement weather. My wife reached the point where that didn't cut it either so upgraded to a 30' motorhome. It has taken me a while to get used to it but there are decided advantages. Now we can go out anytime of the year and having a switch close to the bed that turns on the furnace on freezing mornings is a very welcome touch.

Rmccamey and tonyb like this.
  17. Edward

Edward Bartender

I well remember my first Scout camp, Easter week, early April 1986. Two days of Sun, then a day of rain that turned into snow. Big, old, green Icelandic tents that slept 6, separate ground sheets and kitchen shelters... ; sort of thing I'd love to have,but really does require a car to move!

Rmccamey likes this.
  18. Trenchfriend

Always recommendable! You're never too old for classic back-training. :)

I'm doing from time to time. The last two days in succession. Always lovely!

PS:
    The german tone shouldn't be a problem.

19. Nobert

Nobert Practically Family

Having recently grown a toothbrush mustache, I now somewhat resemble one of the balding, harried John Q. Public types that Clare Briggs used to draw. I just acquired a wool cap with earflaps, and when I wear it I look like a slender version of the guy from A Confederacy of Dunces. And I find that I am okay with both of those things.

LizzieMaine, Rmccamey and tonyb like this.
  20. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Ignatius would say that your outfit is in harmony with theology and geometry. Have you read widely in Boethius?

Nobert likes this.