Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

I used to toss and turn, but at some point in life, I became one of those people who falls asleep the moment my head hits the pillow.
:D

I usually fall off quickly, too.

If only I could stay asleep for a solid seven or more hours. As often as not I’m awakening after five or six hours, which I understand is a fairly common complaint among us senescent sorts.

Last night a leg cramp awakened me after maybe three and a half or four hours. I hear that is not at all untypical for those of my age, either.

Maybe I should get a Winnebago and a BarcaLounger.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Hiya

And thanks for the welcome....are you a hat or coat guy here? Hat guy myself.

Stu

If I had to pick, I would say suit and jacket guy, though I have only two suits one could consider vintage-inpsired.

I love art deco furniture and art, and am working on a library/study in that theme.

Love films of the Era too.

GHT

I'll Lock Up

If only I could stay asleep for a solid seven or more hours. As often as not I’m awakening after five or six hours, which I understand is a fairly common complaint among us senescent sorts.
Oh yes, they say a picture is worth a thousand words:
mr-happy.jpg
Have you ever seen Billy Connolly talk about the prostate? Be warned, although extremely funny, Billy peppers his humour with profanities.

Last night a leg cramp awakened me after maybe three and a half or four hours. I hear that is not at all untypical for those of my age, either.

Maybe I should get a Winnebago and a BarcaLounger.
I usually wake up in the middle of the night, but it is to use the restroom. I know, another sign that I am getting old.
:D

...If only I could stay asleep for a solid seven or more hours. As often as not I’m awakening after five or six hours, which I understand is a fairly common complaint among us senescent sorts...
Oh, right, that's the other issue. When I finally fall asleep, at best I take a series of short naps. I can't remember the last time I slept longer than 60-90 minutes without waking up for either no apparent reason, or because I need to use the bathroom. Either way I try to fall asleep again as soon as I can, but 60-90 minutes later I'm awake again. Rinse, lather, repeat. If I'm really lucky, when I add up the time taken by my series of naps it'll be longer than six hours, but that's a rarity these days; I usually average four to five hours of interrupted sleep per night.

Edward

Bartender
That because of his flaws he deserved to be murdered by a talentless psychopath?

Well, I did say I was being uncharitable. Lennon was one of those hypocrites in extremis that I fidn very hard to stomach, and just sometimes I forget myself and fall into the temptation to judge.

... when the "Beach Boys" are scheduled to play your local county fair.
Ha! We saw what was left of The Doors (well, except for John Densmore) at the Orange County (California) fair about 10 years ago. They shanghaid Dave Brock from Wild Child (a Doors tribute band) as lead singer and Ty Dennis on drums, and it wasn't bad for a county fair concert.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Well, I did say I was being uncharitable. Lennon was one of those hypocrites in extremis that I fidn very hard to stomach, and just sometimes I forget myself and fall into the temptation to judge.
Lennon never set out to be liked, he could be as crude and crass as he was arrogant. He once famously remarked about popular music that: "Before Elvis, there was nothing." Back then there wasn't the access to the internet that we enjoy today and Lennon was probably referring to the popular music, pre-Elvis, that of the crooners and the big bands. In doing so he dismissed, out of hand, the African American influence on popular music, his remark was unforgivable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_music

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Back then there wasn't the access to the internet that we enjoy today and Lennon was probably referring to the popular music, pre-Elvis, that of the crooners and the big bands. In doing so he dismissed, out of hand, the African American influence on popular music, his remark was unforgivable.

Ahh, pax vobiscum absolvo amicus and all for the band and that particular time. But of course you are right. Spot on.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
To say nothing of the fact that the works of Cole Porter, Rodgers and Hart, Jerome Kern, Harry Warren, et. al. are hardly a body of musical creativity to be sneezed at. I'd stack "All The Things You Are" or "The Way You Look Tonight" or any number of other elegant compositions up against anything Mr. Lennon ever wrote, attempted to write, or considered writing at any time in his life.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Well said Lizzie, Lennon might have had a troubled upbringing, but he was callous and caustic in equal measure. The Beatles manger was one, Brian Epstein, a gay man who kept his sexuality under wraps, it would be 1967 before The Sexuality Act became law, by which time Epstein would be dead.

A Cellarful of Noise is the title of Brian Epstein's 1964 autobiography. His assistant, Derek Taylor, was the ghostwriter of the book, which describes the early days of The Beatles. Epstein asked John Lennon what he thought the book should be called, and Lennon suggested "Queer Jew."

... when the "Beach Boys" are scheduled to play your local county fair.

As something of a Brianista (we’d have never heard of The Beach Boys if not for that eldest Wilson boy) I have zero interest in what Messrs. Love and Johnston and four guys named Joe do under The Beach Boys banner. I’ll go with Brian’s band, with original Beach Boy Al Jardine and longtime collaborator Blondie Chaplin and those Wondermint kids.

Fun, fun, fun.

Edward

Bartender
Lennon never set out to be liked, he could be as crude and crass as he was arrogant. He once famously remarked about popular music that: "Before Elvis, there was nothing." Back then there wasn't the access to the internet that we enjoy today and Lennon was probably referring to the popular music, pre-Elvis, that of the crooners and the big bands. In doing so he dismissed, out of hand, the African American influence on popular music, his remark was unforgivable.

TBH, I think the thing that incensed me more was the sheer hypocrisy of the rich man enjoying all the chattels of his wealth while preaching "imagine no possessions", and especially preaching peace while funding terrorism.

I could stomach him in the Beatles; I do believe what they did that was special was theunqiue mix of Lennon's cynicism and Macartney's innocence, but once Lennon went solo and his work started entwining with his nature as a person, I don't care for it. Mind you, I don't think any of the Beatles really amounted to much (or contributed anyhting of real note) to popular culture after 1970 - but then did they need to?

Well said Lizzie, Lennon might have had a troubled upbringing, but he was callous and caustic in equal measure. The Beatles manger was one, Brian Epstein, a gay man who kept his sexuality under wraps, it would be 1967 before The Sexuality Act became law, by which time Epstein would be dead.

A Cellarful of Noise is the title of Brian Epstein's 1964 autobiography. His assistant, Derek Taylor, was the ghostwriter of the book, which describes the early days of The Beatles. Epstein asked John Lennon what he thought the book should be called, and Lennon suggested "Queer Jew."

As something of a Brianista (we’d have never heard of The Beach Boys if not for that eldest Wilson boy) I have zero interest in what Messrs. Love and Johnston and four guys named Joe do under The Beach Boys banner. I’ll go with Brian’s band, with original Beach Boy Al Jardine and longtime collaborator Blondie Chaplin and those Wondermint kids.

Fun, fun, fun.

By all accounts, Mike Love is a monster - down to the level of maximising profitability of Brian Wilson's appearances by limiting them. Mind you, the whole BB story is incredibly tragic behind the scenes.

Haversack

One Too Many
Mind you, I don't think any of the Beatles really amounted to much (or contributed anyhting of real note) to popular culture after 1970 - but then did they need to?

I don't know, but I'm rather glad that George Harrison mortgaged his house to put up the money to get Monty Python's Life of Brian made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot