Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My friends make a hobby out of trying to get me to marry and have children. Not a pleasant conversation. As they all believe that I can't be happy with a revolving bedroom door of depravity and debauchery.
There's many that have been there, it's best to enjoy it while you can.
1960's pin up girl, singer, actress and one time squeeze of Mick Jagger, had such a life. There's a price to pay.

mafa.jpg

Fifty150

One Too Many

It was in the same era. I dated a girl just like Tiffany on Top of the Pops. She hung out at the mall, had the same fashion sense, even the same hair. When we out out, she had the same dance moves. She has aged just like Tiffany. Now she's also drunk, off-key, has a beer belly, and for whatever reason, goes around bare foot. Still trying to relive her glory days, when she was the most popular girl in high school, and winner of a pageant.

This is what that song is really suppose to sound like:

...I dated a girl just like Tiffany on Top of the Pops...
Hell, in those days every heterosexual guy I know dated a girl just like Tiffany. I probably would have too if I wasn't married.

Oh, and Tiffany has publicly apologized and claimed her poor performance was due to problems with the sound equipment, i.e. she couldn't hear the music clearly enough to hit the right notes (on a song she's been singing for nearly 40 years? o_O) and that it and the crowd yelling insults led to a panic attack which was when she lashed out verbally. Not surprisingly, there were no explanations for why she was slurring like a drunken prostitute.

And you're really old if you can remember children smoking on television. That's no acting. Those kids really knew how to smoke.
I'm guessing you've never been a smoker. Actors, and pretty much anyone else pretending to smoke, always leave out one step--inhaling. Once a smoker has lit the cigarette, smoking involves four steps: putting the cigarette to their mouth, sucking smoke into their mouth, inhaling that smoke into their lungs, and exhaling that smoke. Non-smokers rarely, if ever, inhale to draw the smoke into their lungs for obvious reasons. Go back and watch that clip, and you'll notice every one of those girls blew the smoke out of their mouths almost immediately after drawing it in. Nope, not smokers...not while they were filming, anyway.

Speaking of Mick Jagger, at 78 he is still doddering around with a girlfriend who is more than 40 years his junior. No doubt this is helped along due to the fact that he is worth 300 million or so.
This might be politically incorrect but if one reflects on the attraction of Onassis and Henry Kissinger one would be hard pressed to explain it was due to physical beauty and may have had something to do with power and money. Just a thought! But maybe they were enthralling conversationalists????

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The love of a young man is superficial compared to the love of an old man for his old lady wife.
— Will Durant

Tell me who loves you, and I will tell you who you are.
— Saint-Exupery

Well, my younger brother had a stroke a month ago and my slightly older sister has just agreed to bring in home care to help out as she deals with her rapidly advancing dementia. Pretty hard to ignore or deny events such as these.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Middle School, in my school district, was 6th, 7th, & 8th grade. Before High School. So kids were 11, 12, & 13. Kids smoked at that age. They probably still smoke at that age. They had sex too.

Hell, in those days every heterosexual guy I know dated a girl just like Tiffany. I probably would have too if I wasn't married.

Oh, and Tiffany has publicly apologized and claimed her poor performance was due to problems with the sound equipment, i.e. she couldn't hear the music clearly enough to hit the right notes (on a song she's been singing for nearly 40 years? o_O) and that it and the crowd yelling insults led to a panic attack which was when she lashed out verbally. Not surprisingly, there were no explanations for why she was slurring like a drunken prostitute.

I'm guessing you've never been a smoker. Actors, and pretty much anyone else pretending to smoke, always leave out one step--inhaling. Once a smoker has lit the cigarette, smoking involves four steps: putting the cigarette to their mouth, sucking smoke into their mouth, inhaling that smoke into their lungs, and exhaling that smoke. Non-smokers rarely, if ever, inhale to draw the smoke into their lungs for obvious reasons. Go back and watch that clip, and you'll notice every one of those girls blew the smoke out of their mouths almost immediately after drawing it in. Nope, not smokers...not while they were filming, anyway.
When watching movies (particularly period pieces) we play a game at the beginning portion of the movie......when an actor lights up my wife asks...."Is he/she a smoker?". Most of the time the answer is no but the odd time it is obvious that they are.......after the match that first long deep drag on the smoke is the tell.......it reminds me of my days as a smoker and the joy of that first long deep and satisfying drag.

Middle School, in my school district, was 6th, 7th, & 8th grade. Before High School. So kids were 11, 12, & 13. Kids smoked at that age. They probably still smoke at that age. They had sex too.
As best as I can remember, I had my first cigarette when I was in middle school (it was called "junior high school" in those days). So, yeah, before officially becoming a teenager. Not a regular thing, mind you, but if one of "the guys" had once-in-a-while managed to sneak some out of his parents' supply, sure. I had my first sexual encounter when I was 15; at least I knew what to do afterward.

My wife started smoking young, mainly because her mom was a smoker so there was almost always a supply even though she was still, essentially, a "child"; things were very different back in the 1960s. And both her mom and dad emigrated to the U.S. from Italy long before she was born, so their experience growing up with cigarettes was very different--to hear them tell it, you'd think in Europe they handed you a lit cigarette the moment the doctor smacked you on the backside and got your lungs working. So my wife was a smoker when we met; at least two packs a day. And I still didn't pick up the habit myself until we'd been married six years.

After a failed attempt in 2004 (that lasted a little over two years) I finally quit in May of 2019. And my wife stopped smoking in June of this year. So now we're both non-smokers...so far, anyway. We'll see what happens.

You surely know this situation.

When you're in a physiotherapy office and these young (and of course sminked) girls behind the counter look so young and innocent, that you think: "Why is this poor 15 year old girl working here?"
;););)

PS:
I just made a simple massage-termin. ;)

I remember actual children smoking in real life. Those O'Brien kids from the other side of the block, sucking down Camels like old men, before they were twelve years old.

They're all dead now.

Wasn’t so uncommon in my world, either. Hell, every kid who wanted to buy cigarettes could find some clerk willing to sell ’em, often as not suggesting to the kid that he was getting ’em for his dad, right?

I always wondered, why the cigarette automats in Germany were non-age-restricted, for so long. Since late 2007, they are all equipped with electronic age verification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112