Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

In West-Germany you could find these literally on any old school pub,(aka Kneipe) counter until mid eighties of last century.

In our east-german smalltown's 30s open-air bath, they had them still in the 90s. A big glass, always standing at the left side of the snack bar. But curiously, I never came to the idea to snack one. We always ate our own cookies from home.
Of course, the Swastika from 1935 was not more on the jump tower. ;)

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You could use the below as basic flavoring mix,. I would recommend to tune the brine a little „louder“ than favored result as it will mute down during maturing what might make the result a little dull otherwise, similar to Sauerfleisch or pickled herring.

71i5k2z-BVL._SY445_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_SX313SY445SH20_.jpg

You can surely imagine, that I'm one of the impatient people, so I ate one pickled egg this morning and it was already nice savory! I will eat 1 egg every day to see the difference. :)

So33

One of the Regulars
If I were in the radio biz, I’d take a serious look at other enterprises.

It’s a mistake to project one’s own experience onto the larger public, but there’s more than anecdotes to suggest that listening habits are changing in ways unfavorable to radio as we’ve known it.

Most of us have smartphones now, and an ever-increasing percentage of automobiles on the road have Bluetooth-enabled sound systems. So we can listen to the music and podcasts and audiobooks of our choice, rather than whatever the radio station decides for us. (Cars, by the way, are where most radio listening happens. The pandemic, which drastically changed commuting habits, was particularly tough on NPR stations, or so I’ve read.)

Radio will still be around, and will still attract an audience and advertising revenue. It still is, and will remain, a great medium for local news and information. Still, I find myself among the millions upon millions of people who have increasingly lent their ears to other media.
I drove around Seattle area for 43 plus years for work, before retiring last year.
Listening to news talk radio for traffic reports was a requirement before map quest.
My favorite broadcaster, Dori Monson, past away over this holiday season.
He was year younger than me.
Listened to him daily for many years. Never drove new enough vehicle to have a smart radio if that's what they call them? Always have radio preset to his station. Guess I'm getting old.

So33

One of the Regulars
My pickled eggs are now already very strong! Nearly too strong! :p

Next time, two tablespoons salt on the literglass will surely be enough.
My wifey is thoughtful enough to always have a jar of pickled eggs in the refrigerator.
Usually in refrigerator for 4 to 6 months before I eat them. They're great in salads. These are from October so about 3 months old.
I age them for at least 2 months to get good flavor. You need to try this recipe.

Attachments

• 20230110_144918.jpg
    20230110_144918.jpg
    751.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230110_145018.jpg
    20230110_145018.jpg
    843.4 KB · Views: 34
Remember the old days? The 90s ;)

When the non-tattooed folks were the mainstream stiffs and the tattooed were the "rebellious"?
Now, I'M part of the cool, rebellious non-tattooed minority and the others are the boring mainstream, haha!!

Times are changing, my loungers, every 30 years maybe...
:p

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I remarked my fedora catching youngsters' comments elsewhere and how I do so enjoy a penny pitch toward Indiana Jones or Branagh's Henry. Add Macbeth occasionally. Kids note what adults wear and my brown fedora is queried at grocers, Starbucks, Gladstones, and smaller shops or McDonalds. Sipping a caramel lattee at Mickeydees wearing a fedora and discussing Indy with kids I am aware my age difference still it's fun too.

Remember the old days? The 90s ;)

When the non-tattooed folks were the mainstream stiffs and the tattooed were the "rebellious"?
Now, I'M part of the cool, rebellious non-tattooed minority and the others are the boring mainstream, haha!!

Times are changing, my loungers, every 30 years maybe...
:p

When I was in my late adolescence/early adulthood I was all about hair and patched-up blue jeans and other things I’ll not mention here.

I’m glad that tattooing wasn’t fashionable then. Changing one’s clothes, shaving one’s face and cutting one’s hair is no great challenge. Almost all the similarly shaggy and scruffy friends and acquaintances of mine dating to those days have done exactly that.

My wife is 18 years my junior. She has a few tattoos. I can’t say I like them, really. But it’s gotten to where I don’t notice them.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
When I was in my late adolescence/early adulthood I was all about hair and patched-up blue jeans and other things I’ll not mention here.

I’m glad that tattooing wasn’t fashionable then. Changing one’s clothes, shaving one’s face snd cutting one’s hair is no great challenge. Almost all the similarly shaggy and scruffy friends and acquaintances of mine dating to those days have done exactly that.
Too right. When I brought my girlfriend home to meet my family, my two sisters took great delight in showing said girlfriend a photo of your's truly with shoulder length hair. "Whose the relation?" Girlfriend asked. "Your boyfriend," delighted sisters replied!

Fifty-five years on, 'Girlfriend' is still teasing me. "There was a time when your hair was long enough to be mistaken for female!" "Yes dear," but nowadays the hair is thin enough to save considerably on shampoo!"

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh, yes. Have a famous picture of me with shoulder-length hair, a leather hat, and a backpack (jaunting around Europe for a summer in the 70s). Nowadays, everyone marvels at how silky and thick my hair was back then. And how baby smooth my cheeks were. Back in the days before everyone spoke English and when every border required a stamp in the passport. It was a good time to be young and free.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Heh. Mrs Marlowe never knew me before I started shaving my head entirely. (I started going bald in my late twenties; we met about six years after I first went for the full O'Brien / Kojak / Brynner - delete according to your own pop culture references.) She's seen a photo of me in spring 1994, with really quite long hair - and she doesn't like it. Thinks I look younger without it, ha...

^^^^
There was evidence as early as age 17 or so that I would eventually be bald. Eventually arrived not long afterwards. By 22 or 23 my hair was thin on top and by 30 it was all but gone.

I never made any attempt to disguise my baldness or “treat” it in any way. I’ve worn hats regularly since my 20s and even sometimes before then, but it was never to hide my hairless pate. We baldies can attest to the utilitarian virtues of hats.

I worked with a fellow (since deceased, I’ve been told) who for a number of years wore a rug, a good one, for which he spent a considerable amount of scratch, what with his high-priced haircuts executed at the toupee shop (he actually had two, because those things require maintenance, so one was always in the shop). But having known him since before he went the rug route, I understood why he did it. He did look better with the hair, even if it was fake.

Last edited:

I’m glad that tattooing wasn’t fashionable then. Changing one’s clothes, shaving one’s face and cutting one’s hair is no great challenge. Almost all the similarly shaggy and scruffy friends and acquaintances of mine dating to those days have done exactly that.

My wife is 18 years my junior. She has a few tattoos. I can’t say I like them, really. But it’s gotten to where I don’t notice them.
Many years ago I encouraged my wife about getting a tatt. Now when I see an older woman with the tattoo that used to look like skin art and now looks like a blob of spilt ink or a child's finger painting.....I say to my wife..."Aren't you glad I talked you out of getting that tatt all those years ago." My wife gets eye strain from rolling her eyes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko