Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

You know you're getting old when you realize just how much you took for granted as a kid. There's days when I'd give anything to scootch down to pick something up off the floor without having to ask somebody to help me get back up.

For me it's all about what's going to break. I work out and stretch a lot (it's made a huge difference for me) and I can scootch down and pick something up with ease...99 out of a 100 times, but that hundredth time is when something goes "ping" somewhere and, for example, my back will spasm and I know I'm in for several days of pain until it settles down.

I'll wake up 99 out of a 100 mornings fine, but on that hundredth morning, my neck will be stiff or back hurt or something else. I can throw a pair of socks on with ease 99 out of a 100 time, but on that - well, you get the point.

What the heck, no matter what I do - work out, stretch, avoid doing stupid things (I lift with my legs not back, know my weight limits etc.) - my 52 year old body just goes "ping" every so often and pain and discomfort follow for several days.

But I'll still take it over no "pinging" and being a kid.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My vision is not as good as when I was young and the realization that
30x8pld.jpg

besides my “mote", a backlit keyboard on the Mac will be required.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
My vision is not as good as when I was young and the realization that
30x8pld.jpg

besides my “mote", a backlit keyboard on the Mac will be required.
Tell me about it! This morning, I was filling up the motorcycle in Laramie, Wyoming, I could not read the little instruction screen for the world! I finally took a leap of faith and took the nozzle and selected the grade of gas I wanted, turned out I was right. Pure luck!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
When you put on only 707 miles riding your motorcycle in three days. I used to put on 1000 miles in a 24 hour period! Oh, and when I got off, after the final push of 140 miles, I could barely walk.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
On the other hand, if you had dined out, gone on to see a show afterwards and then from there, went clubbing until the early hours of the morning, you would have probably been called a show off, or a more stinging remark like, "just how old are you?"
You can't win.

Perhaps. :) But I know for a certainty I wouldn't have been able to stay up the long!

You know you're getting old when 50 years of barely managed diabetes control has certainly contributed to the necessity of the quadruple bypass you underwent 6 months ago, and the extended recovery since then.

I recall the talk of about six weeks post-surgery until the patient gets to feeling like his old self.

Please. Six months is more like it. I know the medical people don't wish to frighten the patients, seeing how having one's chest cracked open is a frightening enough prospect on its own, but the physical and psychological effects linger for a good while longer than six weeks, and the patient and his loved ones ought to know that. They should also know that it does get better, but it takes time.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
You know you’re getting old when you see someone older than you and it makes you
feel young. :)

But it only lasts briefly because the next thing you see is someone younger than you,
that can bend down, pick up something and not give it a second thought. :(

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I recall the talk of about six weeks post-surgery until the patient gets to feeling like his old self.

Please. Six months is more like it. I know the medical people don't wish to frighten the patients, seeing how having one's chest cracked open is a frightening enough prospect on its own, but the physical and psychological effects linger for a good while longer than six weeks, and the patient and his loved ones ought to know that. They should also know that it does get better, but it takes time.

Six weeks is when I just began to feel semi-human again. Walking was about the limit of my ability to move. Getting in and out of my recliner was finally not working an obstacle course.

Six months out (in two days) and I can run now, although not the mileage I could do when at my best. But I'll be working on it. :)

Six weeks is when I just began to feel semi-human again. Walking was about the limit of my ability to move. Getting in and out of my recliner was finally not working an obstacle course.

Six months out (in two days) and I can run now, although not the mileage I could do when at my best. But I'll be working on it. :)

I was instructed not to drive for at least a couple of weeks post-op, to give the sternum a chance to knit itself back together before risking what might happen to it in a car wreck.

It wasn't but a few days beyond that when I attended a family function about an hour's drive away. Kicked my behind, man. Just driving for an hour was a real chore.

Sitting on your wallet while you drive is a recipe for lower back pain or sciatica and
if you do it often enough -- nerve pain that shoots down your leg.

Good tip! My wallet is a thin one, but still ...

Seriously, though, I can drive for hours on end -- all day and half the night -- provided it isn't in stop-and-go traffic. More than about 45 minutes of moving my right foot from brake pedal to accelerator over and over and over again and my leg gets to hurtin'. I chalk it up to not being a kid anymore.

It's been quite some time since I've regularly driven a car with a manual transmission. I bet the pain would be even worse if I was working that additional pedal every few seconds.

Last edited:
Some cars just don't fit some people.

Several years ago I drove a rental Plymouth Neon from Midway Airport up to Madison, Wisc. Got as far as Rockford before I just had to get out and walk around some.

Sister-in-law sold a slightly used Honda Accord after owning it for just a few weeks because it literally pained her to drive it for more than a half hour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo