Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

F. J.

One of the Regulars
86 years, not 200 . . .

[...]
She commented on the difference between each note, I explained that it helped the visually impaired and it also went some way to deterring forgeries. She thought it would be useful if the dollar was similar, but conceded that after two centuries, it would hardly be likely.
[...]

Two centuries of what, exactly? We’ve only had federally-issued paper currency since 1861, and the notes have only been the small size that they are now since 1928 (the large-sized ones were discontinued in 1929).
That’s more like eighty-six years.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I do hope that I haven't incited 1776 all over again.

You almost had me reaching for my Kentucky rifle, powder horn, and lead bullets, then I saw the part about the shillings, and I remembered your Army no longer wears red, so your OK! (Yes, I know all Red Coats didn't wear red)!

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab

I always have to face the reality check that what we view as the big show of 1812 on this side of the pond was a side show to those on the other side. They had a far more dangerous fish to fry in the form of that Corsican Bonaparte: some called him the Antichrist, but he actually taught the Western world how to wage war for the next half century. And in the end, it was a draw: Treaty of Ghent signed even as the Battle of New Orleans commenced.

I also see the War of 1812 as more of a US vs. Canada conflict: although Canadian confederation was decades in the future, what transpired "...at Queenston Heights and Lundy's Lane" set much of the stage for what transpired between British North America/ Canada and the US for the rest of the Nineteenth Century.

I always have to face the reality check that what we view as the big show of 1812 on this side of the pond was a side show to those on the other side. They had a far more dangerous fish to fry in the form of that Corsican Bonaparte: some called him the Antichrist, but he actually taught the Western world how to wage war for the next half century. And in the end, it was a draw: Treaty of Ghent signed even as the Battle of New Orleans commenced.

I also see the War of 1812 as more of a US vs. Canada conflict: although Canadian confederation was decades in the future, what transpired "...at Queenston Heights and Lundy's Lane" set much of the stage for what transpired between British North America/ Canada and the US for the rest of the Nineteenth Century.

Which was different from French Canada. :D

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I always have to face the reality check that what we view as the big show of 1812 on this side of the pond was a side show to those on the other side. They had a far more dangerous fish to fry in the form of that Corsican Bonaparte:

It was one and the same war, at least to European eyes. On June 18th 1812, you guys got fed up with our trade restrictions that had been brought about by our conflict with France, add to that our habit of pirating American merchant ships for use in our Royal Navy, you rattled the sabre and war it was. Mind you, there might have been an eye on annexing some of our then territory, British Canada.

When you link all the theatres of war in our 19th century conflict with France, and the countries that got sucked into that conflict, it's fair to suggest that it was actually a world war.

It was one and the same war, at least to European eyes. On June 18th 1812, you guys got fed up with our trade restrictions that had been brought about by our conflict with France, add to that our habit of pirating American merchant ships for use in our Royal Navy, you rattled the sabre and war it was. Mind you, there might have been an eye on annexing some of our then territory, British Canada.

When you link all the theatres of war in our 19th century conflict with France, and the countries that got sucked into that conflict, it's fair to suggest that it was actually a world war.

True--a kind of colonies war though. All former colonies pushing away from the fatherland all at once. :p

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Which was different from French Canada. :D

"French Canada" (actually, New France) essentially ended on the Plains of Abraham in 1759- with the exceptions of the islands of St. Pierre and Miquelon. There existed no French colonies on the North American continent in what had been New France after the Treaty of Paris of 1763. But if you're referring to Quebec-- yes, you are correct, in that its development was more immediately affected by the War for Independence than elsewhere in what is now Canada.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab

It took the world to defeat Napoleon: Wellington would have never prevailed at Waterloo without Blücher and his Prussians.

"French Canada" (actually, New France) essentially ended on the Plains of Abraham in 1759- with the exceptions of the islands of St. Pierre and Miquelon. There existed no French colonies on the North American continent in what had been New France after the Treaty of Paris of 1763. But if you're referring to Quebec-- yes, you are correct, in that its development was more immediately affected by the War for Independence than elsewhere in what is now Canada.

Yes, perhaps I should have just written Quebec. I was referring to French-speaking Canada as opposed to French Canada as a specific term. :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

While most Americans consider The Battle of Yorktown October 24, 1781, to be the final battle of the war, there were actually several more battles lasting until November 10, 1782. The final battle for the British was half a world away off the coast of India near Cuddalore. When the Royal Navy fought the French Navy. Neither side suffered any serious damage to their ships, but casualties were high. In the end, the British abandoned their efforts to resupply their troops and withdrew, much like Yorktown.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
It took the world to defeat Napoleon: Wellington would have never prevailed at Waterloo without Blücher and his Prussians.

Chillingly you are right, just 125 years later it took the world to crush another dictator with an eye for the title of: "The King of the World." I use the word chillingly because I now see a new pretender for that crown. First Crimea, now he wants Ukraine, appease him and he will go on and on.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Chillingly you are right, just 125 years later it took the world to crush another dictator with an eye for the title of: "The King of the World." I use the word chillingly because I now see a new pretender for that crown. First Crimea, now he wants Ukraine, appease him and he will go on and on.

You are correct, and it is not just one place or person around this world that has a agenda to be regulated into a self appointed King! However, it really comes down to what each person as an individual and then as a group, to stand for the right thing. God bless us all.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We have a new service provider, and therefore, a new router. Setting it up needs either a masters in quantum physics or, at the very least, a WTF in technobabble. My neighbour's 14 year-old did it for me in about ten seconds. I was ok with that until I asked him if he was born with the knowledge. When he said that it was easy, well easy for him, that went below the belt. Little sh*t!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
We have a new service provider, and therefore, a new router. Setting it up needs either a masters in quantum physics or, at the very least, a WTF in technobabble. My neighbour's 14 year-old did it for me in about ten seconds. I was ok with that until I asked him if he was born with the knowledge. When he said that it was easy, well easy for him, that went below the belt. Little sh*t!

That's funny! A couple of years ago, I heard a couple of tech whizzes talking about hooking up new parts to a computer. They both agreed, if you don't have a 14 year old in the house, "it ain't going to happen!"

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
That's funny! A couple of years ago, I heard a couple of tech whizzes talking about hooking up new parts to a computer. They both agreed, if you don't have a 14 year old in the house, "it ain't going to happen!"

I'm sitting at the computer bar. Young kid from the geek squad is checking my computer.

"So what brand computer do you have at home?" I asked, hoping to get some insight.

He replies. "None!...I build my own! "

Oh heck...now why didn't I think of that !:eusa_doh:

tomtom42

New in Town

"So what brand computer do you have at home?" I asked, hoping to get some insight.

He replies. "None!...I build my own! "

Actually putting together a PC from parts is slightly less of a challenge than assembling any ikea furniture - if you do a bit of research and planning in advance...
If you don't insist on any really exotic components most every operating system will have the necessary drivers available to deal with it.

IMHO a lot easier than 10-15 years ago .

br,
ToM

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Actually putting together a PC from parts is slightly less of a challenge than assembling any ikea furniture - if you do a bit of research and planning in advance...
If you don't insist on any really exotic components most every operating system will have the necessary drivers available to deal with it.

IMHO a lot easier than 10-15 years ago .

br,
ToM

Might not be real or practical but I like the wood facade .

66dddx.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy