Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Wasn't it Capone's henchmen who would say to their victim: "Nothing personal, strictly business."
So that's alright then.

That was the central irony in “The Godfather” movies.

Sal Tessio asks Tom Hagen to tell Michael Corleone, as old Sal is about to be taken off to his own execution, that his setting Michael up to be killed was nothing personal, that he always liked the kid.

With friends like these ...

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
This reminds me of a sequence I saw on Live P.D. the other night.

A cop stopped a car because he observed one or more of the people in the back seat put on their seat belts when the cruiser came into view. No big deal, right?

Except the driver, a middle aged pear-shaped man let flow a tide of profanity at the officers for doing their job, which includes asking for ID at the beginning of any routine police stop.

Considering what was being hurled at them, the officers kept their cool and let it all slide off. I wanted to reach through the screen and snap the driver's neck.

DH and I love Live PD, and having viewed every episode, I am of the opinion that most police officers don't get paid nearly enough money for the crap they have to take and the stupid people they have to deal with. Personally, I no longer have the patience to deal with stupid people, especially loud, obnoxious, know-it-all stupid people, so being a police officer with ready access to a weapon would not be a good career choice for me. I fear using said weapon would become too great a temptation for me. :rolleyes:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
It's often said that you know you are getting old when police officers look younger. Thing is, I don't see that many police officers, for me, getting old means keeping to the speed limits.

dnjan

One Too Many
The dewy-eyed bride is making louder noises about putting up Christmas decorations. We have a couple of large plastic storage bins full of the stuff — really nice stuff, too, both vintage and of more recent manufacture. But we have no good place for a tree, although we have several quite substantial houseplants — large ficus benjaminas and a couple of big potted palms and dracaenas and the like. But putting up and then taking down all that swag is a several hour process. A PITA, is what it is.
You need to buy more/better quality sparkling wine for the put-up and take-down events.
Enough good sparkling wine can make almost any job turn into a party.

My wife and I were watching a Spanish TV series set in Benidorm a place I visited in the 1960's. It was then a tourist spot for largely a Brit audience but it had a quaintness to it and retained some Spanish village charm. I recall getting a 1/2 chicken roasted on a spit, with fries cooked in olive oil and a half bottle of Cava for about a dollar. A beer was under a dime. In the TV show it was unrecognizable as it is now billed as the Las Vegas of Spain....all high rise towers and discos. I directed my dismay towards the images on the TV screen and my wife responded...."Well, it was over 50 years ago and things do change."

GHT

I'll Lock Up
"Well, it was over 50 years ago and things do change."
Think of the neighbour that you would most loathe to move in next door. Think of the cinema customer who arrives ten minutes into the film and takes another ten minutes to settle in the seat, rustling confectionery wrappings and talking loudly. Think of all the other similar discourteous types with their selfish habits. They all go to Benidorm for two weeks. It's like a right of passage, two weeks boozing and puking. Going lobster red, causing yet more sickness, but they don't learn, even when the dermis is burnt back to the third layer down. They have come here to get a tan, and they intend to get their money's worth.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
My wife has been saying to me that the new doctors she is sent to see look like they are just out of diapers.

It's become a cliche that you know you're getting middle-aged when you see a war newsreel and the buck sergeants and lieutenants look like kids. You know you're really getting old when the master sergeants and colonels look like kids. Hey, I just used the term "newsreel." Doesn't that date me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ