Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

My wife and I went to our local for dinner & a pint last night. The server asked us how long we had been married. I replied we had been together for 49 years. She replied: "How wonderful, you are both so sweet and obviously still very much in love." I focused on the 'you are both so sweet' part and thought.....'damn, we have devolved to being the sweet old couple that dodders into the local for a pint and cheap wings on Wednesday. It has come to this!!!!

My wife and I went to our local for dinner & a pint last night. The server asked us how long we had been married. I replied we had been together for 49 years. She replied: "How wonderful, you are both so sweet and obviously still very much in love." I focused on the 'you are both so sweet' part and thought.....'damn, we have devolved to being the sweet old couple that dodders into the local for a pint and cheap wings on Wednesday. It has come to this!!!!
I neglected to mention that, apropos our ages, we ordered just one entre to split. Our lovely server took it upon herself to get the kitchen to split the order AND place it on two plates. I also ordered chicken wings we were not able to finish so we ended up with a take away box as well. I have nothing more to say!!!

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When you crawl thru the narrow tunnel leading to the shut-off valve for the ice machine that you were able to effortlessly navigate ten years ago and you end up getting stuck because your hips are now wider than the aperture and you have to bellow at the top of your voice for help until somebody shows up to pull you out by your ankles while laughing uproariously.

I know this is extremely specific, but life is like that.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We go to a Friday night potluck and find that, not only are we the oldest ones there, but most of the parents in attendance are the age of our children. On the other hand, since this is a community of people from somewhere else, we have become the grandparent stand ins. That part is lovely… all of the joys of small kids, none of the responsibilities.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
mg fabric & 001.JPG mg fabric & 002.JPG
You are definitely getting old when you see that the Chinese company S.A.I.C. who now own the MG marque, produce a new sports car. The kind of car that has young men wetting their pants, yet an oldie looks at it and thinks: "whatever!"

^^^^^
A ‘64 was my regular ride for a few years, going back 30 years and more. It was a “classic” even then (I prefer “vintage,” but that’s just me).
It was a treat to drive. It had a pronounced understeer that allowed for really throwing it into turns. And the mechanics were so simple and straightforward that even someone as mechanically challenged as me could tend to most work on it.

You turn 56...

For me it was turning 60. Suddenly every injury I had ever suffered--sprained wrist, dislocated shoulder, knees and ankles, broken radius bone in my left forearm, and so on--began to ache like they never have before. It all subsided after a year, but for a while there I could do very little without nearly every joint in my body causing some discomfort. :eek:

When in maybe fifteen years, the majority of your favorite aging radio hosts from your favorite radio channel will not more be on air. Maybe, some will do until they fall from the studio chair, who knows?

I know them since 12 years. They youngest of them are in their late 40s.

(Public) Culture radio channel, you know! :D

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 524537 View attachment 524538
You are definitely getting old when you see that the Chinese company S.A.I.C. who now own the MG marque, produce a new sports car. The kind of car that has young men wetting their pants, yet an oldie looks at it and thinks: "whatever!"

A nicer shape than I'd expected (elements of those lines hearken back to echoes of Dusenbergs to my eye) - rather this look than the MG F they brought out in the 90s, though that in itself aged better than I'd expected at the time. It needs toning somehow, though.... as it sits, it looks like a Hot Wheels toy that Ant Man set his gigantor ray on. Take this and reimagine it as a car built in the 30s, and I think they could go somewhere....

Problem I find with modern sportscars is the fixation on "performance" and giving it track capabilities that are wasted on the normal road. Then there's the cost. Not so purchase price as the cost of feeding the damn thing! By thel ooks of this, fuel consumption will be measured in yards per gallon...

An MG should look like this:

View attachment 524574

I don't know, I preferred the pre-75 models without the rubber bumpers (and the "improvements" they made to the rear suspension alongside those), though I know that were occasioned by new safety laws, particularly for the US market. Always loved the Rostyles, though - I'd prefer those over the wire wheels that were considered an upgrade any day! The sweet spot was probably the, from memory, 1967 model which was the last year leather seats were the standard. I did love the black honeycomb grille that came in on the nose around 69, though... My dad drove a 66/67 red B GT before I was born; in the 90s, he bought a teal blue '73 B GT. I loved that car. Lovely thing to drive, once I got used to not being able to do the straight-upright driving sitting position I preferred.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto