Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You Look It, But Do You Act It?

nola89

Familiar Face
I'm a mixed bag. I embrace sensible technology, but I contradictorily don't trust it. I'm not a fan of change because I believe it hinders the development of a strong culture, but also think change advances culture (hence we get a different "culture" every decade or so).

I am a man of many contradictions.

I never go to contemporary dance clubs or bars that do nothing but advance the progression of STDs. The bars that I favor are ones of great character, where the sound of chatter is louder than the music and the music is one of integrity, devoid of lyrical bragging of riches, violence, and sex. The place where everyone is your friend.

I long for a world in which a man can walk around in a suit or a lady in a dress, free of the condescending "what are you so dressed up for?"

I'm not sure if that is vintage or simply against-the-grain. Perhaps they are the same.

VintageRed

Familiar Face
nola89 said:
I long for a world in which a man can walk around in a suit or a lady in a dress, free of the condescending "what are you so dressed up for?"

I'm not sure if that is vintage or simply against-the-grain. Perhaps they are the same.

I echo this sentiment totally.

I had to go out tonight with a group of women that meet monthly, and I arrived carrying baked goods, wearing a pencil skirt, a plum colored boatneck sweater, quilted flats and my navy pea coat with my hair done nice, and everyone was all over me, asking why I was all dressed up, and where I'd been, and what I was doing. It was crazy. People just lack refined manners these days. Sheesh.

But regardless, I sure felt pretty and I enjoyed every last minute of my attire.

:)

~Danielle

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I dont need to act

Vintage isnt a "Vogue"........ i've seen that come and go...Ive rather "pickled" myself in the late 1930's since the mid 70's refusing to progress,Im living in a late 30's world of my own creation, OK, im doing the PUTER thing, but thats all , OK? im cherry picking,my coffee table has 1938 magazines, I live in another era, OK? ......im hoping that eventualy my whole Art Deco drawing room, including stuffed Italian Greyhounds ( when we have all departed) will appear at the new WA Museum:p

just_me

Practically Family
Charlie Noodles said:
Chivalry is dead.

If courtesy or assistance might be appreciated or needed I will offer it to either gender. I don’t see a reason to offer it to the ladies specifically. It might be nice, but doesn’t it operate under the idea that the ladies are not equal and physically as well as socially inferior?

In the age of gender equality and women’s gyms, they’re often more able-bodied than I am.
I totally agree with this. I don't expect men to open the door for me, but if one does I appreciate it and thank him. I open doors for men and women. It's been awhile since I've been on a subway or bus, but I always gave up my seat for an elderly person, pregnant woman, or someone obviously in need of the seat.

I think it's more a matter of being thoughtful and treating people in the same way I'd like to be treated.

just_me

Practically Family
I am more into the style and films of the Golden Era (especially the 30s) than actually dressing or living that life. I love art deco (always have), love the clothes (men and women's styles), and enjoy seeing the nonreality of the times through movies.

If I could get in a time machine and go back for a visit, it would be to Hollywood in the 20s or 30s.

$ally

One Too Many
I agree about that, Reet. The problem I had with Gangs was that it portrayed people who lived in different eras as roaming the streets together. The point is the same though. I'm a history buff so that sort of thing bothers me.
Braveheart is a good story too, just not accurate. Enjoy the movies folks, but understand that it isn't a history lesson. OK, I'm done being a dork now.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Overall I do act it. It's not a fad or a scene for me, more a way of living. As far as the acceptable idea of manners; I don't discuss gross topics at the dinner table, try to use proper grammar, try not to correct those who don't and so forth. I do have opinions and I voice them, how scandalous! I could never put up with old-fashioned objectification of my gender, or the racism and bigotry of the Golden Era.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
As far as "manners" go, I think the whole issue boils down to a very simple point that every individual ought to bear in mind in their dealings with others: we are not, in fact, the center of the universe. Unfortunately, too many people nowadays have been taught to believe that they are.

jac

Familiar Face
I look like what I am, and from the sound of some of these threads it appears I may not have that many kindred spirits here.

That said, I love Vintage because overall, garments were crafted with attention, pride, and better materials.

I see a lot of Lady and Gentleman used here.
This brings to mind;
"Lady is a word created by men to restrict women"
which of course was spawned from the ERA (pun intended) of "Feminism is the radical notion that women are people."
And Gentlemen? Well, -cut to the Three Stooges standard response!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okZrssQvLWY

I would hope there is enough diversity to not segregate human personalities into 'either-or' boxes.

Viola said:
My mom still has her street-cred, I believe.

My dad claims to have NOT been a hippie but just a "long-haired back to the lander living a schoolbus" which is apparently TOTALLY different. I don't know about that, the '70s were after my time. lol

As they've been married some 30-plus years and spent the schoolbus years happily together, I tar them both with the same patchouli-smelling brush. ;)

I think you can tar them with that brush fairly easily. ;) :p

jac said:
I look like what I am, and from the sound of some of these threads it appears I may not have that many kindred spirits here.

You'd be surprised. There are many of us with large tattoos, for example; the kind that can't be hidden away. For a long time, it was less hassle around here to simply keep quiet about such things, as some of the ladies and gentlemen are quite adept flamers …

I may be corrected, but i think i've stayed out of this thread so far. This is probably because i have trouble with the notion that how one looks should dictate one's behaviour, or that how someone looks should be a mechanism by which to judge potential behaviour. I don't think the evidence will bear such generalisations.

bk

There have been some lively discussions over tattoos and piercings and such in the past.

Some of the Loungers are proponents, some are ambivelent and others are mildly to strongly against.

I always see it as a question of taste and the possibility of overdoing it.

On Tv there's a story one of the lady rock singers told. She always wanted a tattoo of a unicorn on her breast, but worried in her later years her grand kids would ask why the giraffe had a horn like that on it's head.

VintageRed

Familiar Face
John in Covina said:
On Tv there's a story one of the lady rock singers told. She always wanted a tattoo of a unicorn on her breast, but worried in her later years her grand kids would ask why the giraffe had a horn like that on it's head.

That's darn funny and thus, I laughed. Then I wondered why it was that her grandkids were seeing her naked breast to begin with. :eek:

~D.

Charlz

Familiar Face
LizzieMaine said:
As far as "manners" go, I think the whole issue boils down to a very simple point that every individual ought to bear in mind in their dealings with others: we are not, in fact, the center of the universe. Unfortunately, too many people nowadays have been taught to believe that they are.

This is absolutely profound. One must first realize their insignificance to be significant.

$ally

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
A favorite quote of mine along those lines: "Self respect guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners."

jac

Familiar Face
Thank you Baron Kurtz...

.... for your well-thought, insightful reply.

However I didn't happen to think for a minute that my bod-mods would be the issue. :D

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
I suppose I do, with tongue firmly planted in cheek. After all dressing and acting like you just walked off the set of a movie circa 1936 has to be done with at least a dash of humor if one is to keep from going a bit mad. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy