Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You MUST choose. No waffling.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Here's a name you don't often hear

Just to stray a little bit off topic here (something I NEVER do), does the name John Bunny ring a bell with anyone? Thought not.
He was the biggest star in movie comedy before Chaplin came along. He was born in 1863, and was an established stage star by 1890. He fell in love with movies around 1910. He lived in Brooklyn, near the Vitagraph studios, and cranked out lots of early silent comedies in just a couple of years. He died in 1915 of Bright's disease, after only a 5 year career. His comedy was much less sophisticated and cinematic than Chaplin's, and as a result he is largely forgotten. I've only seen a couple of clips.
There is a John Bunny Theater in Harlem, near where I work, that I haven't visited yet, but will when it warms up a little.
Since first learning of this little roly poly (5 ft 5, 250 lbs) man, I have been fascinated by him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bunny

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Choice #1: Max Fleischer
Choice #2: Charlie Chaplin

Hard choice on #2, but Chaplin is my favorite. Did Harold Loyd write music that has become a well known standard (Smile)? Did Buster Keaton open his own studio and start a world renowned independent production company (United Artists)?

Later in life when confronted with a young man who was praising Keaton as an unrecognized genius who's work was superior to his own, Chaplin replied "That may be true, but I gave him work when he needed it" (Limelight).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've run all three of the Big Three silent comics for theatre audiences -- Chaplin is the most familiar, Keaton creates awe -- but Lloyd, by far, gets the biggest laughs.

Actually, if I had to name my own personal favorite silent comedian, I'd have to go with Harry Langdon.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Curious why you'd say that. He's generally considered the "loser" among the big 4. He was not an "auteur" the way the others were, right? And I believe I've read that he was just not as attractive a personality (OK, we won't get into Chaplin's issues). I've seen somewhat less of Langdon's work, but nothing I saw would make me differ from what I've heard.
But I mean, again, why start a dumb argument about it. They're all wonderful in different ways and more people should see their work, and more people should get the opportunity to see their work.
Plus all the other great silent era stars. I'd like to see some Fatty Arbuckle, for example.

Flivver

Practically Family
Another very talented comedian (comedienne?) from the 1920s was Colleen Moore. Her "Ella Cinders" (1926) is a favorite of mine.

If I'm not mistaken, she was the #1 female box-office draw in the mid 1920s, but now she is almost completely forgotten. She lived into her 90s and was one of the few 1920s stars that transitioned well to a normal life after she stopped making movies in 1934.

http://www.silentsaregolden.com/featurefolder/ecellacindersfeature2.html

LizzieMaine

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
Curious why you'd say that. He's generally considered the "loser" among the big 4. He was not an "auteur" the way the others were, right? And I believe I've read that he was just not as attractive a personality (OK, we won't get into Chaplin's issues). I've seen somewhat less of Langdon's work, but nothing I saw would make me differ from what I've heard.
But I mean, again, why start a dumb argument about it. They're all wonderful in different ways and more people should see their work, and more people should get the opportunity to see their work.
Plus all the other great silent era stars. I'd like to see some Fatty Arbuckle, for example.

A lot of the assessment of Langdon as a bungling naif who couldn't handle his success comes from Frank Capra, who had reason to be very bitter about his former boss, since Langdon fired him. The legends have grown because Langdon's films have for so long been hard to see -- but now nearly all his work is available on DVD, and it's led to a serious reassessment. It's been demonstrated, for example, that Langdon's comedy character was fully developed before he ever met Capra, and that, while Langdon indubitably benefited from his association with Capra, he was a long way from being lost without him. His post-Capra silent features, "The Chaser" and "Three's a Crowd," are not for everyone -- but they're far from being utter failures. "Three's A Crowd," especially, stands up very well to my viewing.

The key to appreciating Langdon is realizing that he does everything he does as a commentary on the accepted language of silent comedy. If he's in a situation where a silent comic is expected to react one way, he will invariably react the opposite -- a startling and fresh effect for audiences in 1926, but somewhat harder to appreciate today unless you really immerse yourself in silent comedy. But I think it's well worth it.

And besides -- what could be better than a film ("Tramp Tramp Tramp") where Harry Langdon is paired with Joan Crawford? The mind boggles, lies down on its back, and has a spasm.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
And besides -- what could be better than a film ("Tramp Tramp Tramp") where Harry Langdon is paired with Joan Crawford? The mind boggles, lies down on its back, and has a spasm.
Ok Lizzie, ya got me on that one. I just put "Tramp Tramp Tramp" on my Netflix list. After your recommendation, I have to check it out.

I really want to get out to your theater someday :)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, Keaton is so amazing visually. The stunts he pulls off are beyond amazing. And people think of Chaplin as excessively sentimental, which I guess he was. I just think Chaplin dealt with bigger ideas, and had more interesting characters. Neither Keaton or Lloyd ever did anything like "The Kid", or "The Great Dictator".
Or are we trying to keep this in the silent genre? Lloyd did plenty of talkies through the 40's, so I assume we can go into this era as well.
(Maybe our next discussion could be: Crosby, Colombo or Vallee?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think there are few bodies of work so high in quality and so entertaining as Chaplin's 1915-17 Mutual shorts. It's unfortunate that they're generally shown only in choppy, shabby, badly-duped bootleg prints, which makes them seem more ancient and old-timey than they actually are. Shown in quality prints, on a big screen, with live accompaniment, they really do come alive.

But still, for loud, long, deep-from-the-belly laughs, give me Lloyd.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
Choice #1: Max Fleischer

Choice #2: Harold Lloyd

i recognize Chaplin's (overall) superiority, but Lloyd has always resonated with me personally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn