Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young Indiana Jones

kbadr

Familiar Face
I also have every episode that was aired on dusty old VHS tapes...and I've never busted them out. I ordered the DVD set, though. I figure, at worst there will be good costumes and settings. I remember enjoying the show a lot when it aired, but I was...14 at the time. So, we shall see...

vintage68

Practically Family
I vaguely remember watching them as a young kid, and I ordered the box set yesterday, so I know what I'll be doing this weekend....

Should be interesting, I hope they've held up over the years....

zaika

One Too Many
ooh, very cool. i had a mad crush on sean patrick flannery (the older Indy) and taped almost ALL of his episodes...and a couple of the younger Indy ones, even though i thought he was a crap kid actor. [huh] all of the stories were highly unlikely, but very entertaining. i can't beleive that they took out george hall??? WTF? i don't buy anything from lucasfilm anymore based on principle.

but i might...y'know...buy just this one thing... :D

kbadr

Familiar Face
Anyone pick this up and have any thoughts on it?
Mine arrived from Amazon yesterday. I started watching the first episode (which, I believe, I never actually saw when it aired) and I was struck by how odd the narration was. Correy Carrier's voice is noticeably different. I'm pretty sure they had him re-shoot some scenes and do some narration for the initial VHS release in the late 90s.

I'm curious to see how the episodes work, since they've been chopped up and combined to make movie-length features. I can't imagine that will be totally smooth. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

I never cared much for the 9-year old Indy episodes. They were always just sort of quaint and cute. Shame that the first set is almost entirely young Young Indy material. I'm really looking forward to the second set, actually. I was always a big fan of Remy.

vintage68

Practically Family
The first two discs arrived from Netflix today. I plan to watch them over the weekend. I had forgotten about the very young Indy Jones. I assumed it would be the older teenage actor. Ah well, I'm looking forward to it nonetheless...

kbadr

Familiar Face
I've watched 1 1/2 episodes so far and, sadly, I'm pretty disappointed. I don't at all understand how/why they combined 2 episodes for the first "movie." The two halves had absolutely nothing to do with each other. I would have preferred that they just left it as 2 42 minute long episodes. And the stuff they shot when he was 14 or so is just jarring. I'm hoping that it's just the 9-ear old Indy that I'm not grooving on, and not the whole series. I'll be netflixing the first disc of the next set before I decide to buy it. I'm pretty disappointed.

kbadr

Familiar Face
My thoughts on Season 1 -- Netflix it. You can only see Really Young Indiana Jones get into pesky mischief and leaving the house when he's supposed to be in bed so many times.

The tail end of Season 1 has Sean Patrick Flannery episodes, which are much more worth while. The Nancy Drew episode is particularly brilliant in how it parallels typical Nancy Drew-esque plots.

I just started watching Season 2 (on Netflix...won't make the same mistake twice.) So far it's pretty good. The first half of disc two, the Verdun 1916 episode, is absolutely brilliant. A really amazing story about trench warfare in WWI. It has a lot of characters and motivations and all ties together rather nicely. It's just as good as I remember the episode being when I first saw it.

The second half of that episode focuses on Indy falling in love with Mata Hari. Here's where I remember the series going awry when it first aired. It went through a long spell where it just focused on Indy falling in love. It wore very thin. I hope the next disc is a little better.

I still dislike that Lucas decided to awkwardly smash 2 episodes together to make a "movie." Most of the discs are not movies. They are clearly 2 distinct, unrelated 42 minute story arcs. I look forward to seeing the actual movie-length episodes on DVD, though.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
For $29 bucks!

I picked up the War Years set for $29 bucks at Wallyworld...

Pretty good for family viewing, though a couple episides were.....avoidable!!

I'd like to see the next set come out soon!

JMHO

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Hondo said:
Liks Doc says History Channel and International History Channel, I see YIJ on that one.

I've been catching them on my DVR on History International. They've been playing episodes for a couple of weeks now. I never got to see any of these so its been awesome for me to watch. There are episodes on each day for the rest of the week I know that much from my DVR schedule.

my S.O. and I have been staying up late watching them and have thoroughly enjoyed each one. 2 episodes in 2 hours is too tempting to turn it off halfway though.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I actually think they might have filmed this at Screen Gems studio in Wilmington. We used to get a lot of miniseries/made for tv movies produced out here in the 90's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy